latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

protected videos don't work in safari

Home Forums Community Forum protected videos don't work in safari

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 3 years, 8 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Thursday Apr 11th, 2013 at 2:10 pm #47217
JAMES HALL
Username: jhall_3rd

I am seeing the SAME issue reported a while ago here

Did this user get it working? I know for certain that i have good embed code and all is perfect — i can without any issues play video (mp4) files on Safari all day and all night EXCEPT one of my files (!) ok – i know that points to an issue with the video file — HOWEVER, the file plays just fine in the exact same embed code + player when it’s served from any dir OTHER than a protected S2m dir. =! It also plays in Chrome just fine. I’ve tried a CLEAN s2m re-install and no-go. This file simply will not play. I can link to the mp4 file just fine and it does the expected – it downloads.

I am out of ideas here. This file is essential. I am wondering if there are any issues with s2m directories not liking mp4 files? — honestly that’s my best guess. Thanks for looking into this. Should i send over a login for you to see for yourself?

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Apr 12th, 2013 at 5:38 am #47284

Hi James.

So you can open the protected file with other browsers, and only Safari can’t?

Are you using the s2member-files folder or Amazon S3?

Have you tried these tips? Knowledge Base » Resolving Problems with File Downloads

Have you tried using the mod_rewrite format for the URL? [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Download Options -› Advanced Mod-Rewrite Linkage[/hilite]

Posted: Friday Apr 12th, 2013 at 4:41 pm #47324
JAMES HALL

Ok am trying that (it’s not cloudfront/amazon btw) — but i do not understand the instructions here:

your info says the path to the file within the player should be this:
{…. file: ‘/wp-content/plugins/s2member-files/s2member-file-inline/’}

…. Does that mean i need to create and place the file in a dir named “s2memberinline” ?? What iof i’m using separate ccap folders? My current existing path looks like this:

domain/wp-content/plugins/s2member-files/access-s2member-ccap-my_ccap

–???

Posted: Saturday Apr 13th, 2013 at 12:38 am #47379
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Does that mean i need to create and place the file in a dir named “s2memberinline” ?? What iof i’m using separate ccap folders? My current existing path looks like this:

No, s2Member is getting information from your URL by checking if for key words. You just need to put your files there like normal. If you have your files in a directory like /videos/, your URL might look something like this:

... /wp-content/plugins/s2member-files/s2member-file-inline-yes/s2member-skip-confirmation/videos/example-file.zip
Posted: Saturday Apr 13th, 2013 at 1:44 pm #47427
JAMES HALL

thanks for the clarity Bruce — makes sense …. and it did indeed work with my mp4 placed in the default s2m folder. But i can’t seem to get it to play from a ccap -specific dir! Here’s the playlist item with it’s path:

{type: 'mp4', file: '/wp-content/plugins/s2member-files/s2member-file-inline-yes/access-s2member-ccap-series_1/<?php echo $s2_jw_config["mp4_video_file_name"]; ?>'}

…. the ccap dir is called access-s2member-ccap-series_1 (the ccap = “series_1”)

jwplayer just SPINS forever.

Posted: Monday Apr 15th, 2013 at 7:16 am #47479

Could you test not using an underscore in the ccap’s name? Make it series-1 or series1 instead and see if that helps.

Posted: Tuesday Apr 16th, 2013 at 8:24 am #47604
JAMES HALL

yes, and I’ve actually decided to do -away with all underscores in the ccaps names (my site has several) BUT — now i cannot get the user import function to work! i have updated all pages (hundreds) to the new ccap names and now i simply cannot update the user accounts (>500) !!! this is bad. I have simply exported (using Default option), changed the ccaps column — nothing else — saved in same csv format and imported. Nothing. The s2member feedback confirms this: “Operation complete. Users/Members imported: 0.”

(I imported w/o including the admin line)

What am i doing wrong? I am really in a bind now that i’ve revised every page’s ccaps, The site will be down before i spend the hours to change again every page (~200).

Posted: Tuesday Apr 16th, 2013 at 2:56 pm #47613
JAMES HALL

UPdate on this : i got the import to work using a plain text editor only. Every time i open w/excel (ver 14, mac), make changes and save as csv the import fails.

You should probably see if you can repeat this, and if so — edit this text on s2m: “Open CSV files with Notepad, MS Excel, or OpenOffice (recommended).”

I’ll let you know what i find out about ccap names with underscores. Note though, that level names by default contain an underscore but i’m still hopeful.

Posted: Tuesday Apr 16th, 2013 at 5:30 pm #47623
JAMES HALL

MYSTERY SOLVED. sort of.

Do i get a prize for uncovering two bugs / anomalies in the system in one day?

1) see above for the possible excel issue w/import -export

2) Cris was right about the underscore character — i_does cause strange problems. It looks like all of my issues with some videos refusing to load/play in Safari +++ issues with the jwplayer reading a file embedded using the custom code provided on s2m (see above : refusing to load file) — have_all_disappeared!

I hope you can replicate these issues and revise your documentation. It’s bound to come up again with other users and causes a big headache. I lost more than a day on this, but now it looks good.

BTW it would be incrediblly useful to see a FULL example of a jwplayer embed using all shortcodes + advanced option blocks included – base 64 encoded! >> playlist with dual video resolutions, multiple captions, extra mayo.

Posted: Wednesday Apr 17th, 2013 at 8:05 am #47659

Thanks for the update, James! I’ll let Jason know your suggestions. And I’m very glad you resolved your problems. :)

1) see above for the possible excel issue w/import -export

The importer requries the CSV values to be double quoted and separate with commas. If Excel is not using the quotes or separating with something else (e.g. pipe, semicolon), it won’t work.

Your text editor doesn’t change the format you exported the CSV in, but your Excel seems to be changing that so you’ll need to change its settings. OpenOffice Calc normally respects it and I haven’t had a problem with it yet.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.