latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

protected videos don't work in safari

Home Forums Community Forum protected videos don't work in safari

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Bruce 3 years, 6 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Sunday Jun 30th, 2013 at 11:37 am #52827
JAMES HALL
Username: jhall_3rd

I’ve seen this issue before and it’s back again — possibly related to the fact that i am using a different video player (flowplayer).

here are two pages, one has the video embed in a normal, unprotected dir:

http://www.semantica-portuguese.com/safari-test-unprotected/

the other is in a ccap protected dir: (login as s2test / s2test)

http://www.semantica-portuguese.com/safari-test/

The previous issues with this seemed to resolve after removing all underscores (rec by cristian & bruce) in the ccap names. Now it’s back and i am wondering if there is also some issue with this specific video. Can you repeat this error?

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Tuesday Jul 2nd, 2013 at 4:48 am #52869
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Thank you for reporting this important issue.

And thank you for your patience over the weekend.

Sorry to hear that you’re having issues with this again. I’m going to ask the development team about exactly what might be causing this but it would be great if you could answer a few questions first just so that I know what to ask so we can figure this out as fast a possible. :-)

• Is this Safari on Mac, or Safari or Windows, or both? (Do you know?)
  • Does the problem only happen whenever you use FlowPlayer to play the video file, or can you also recreate the issue with a direct link to the download?
  • What versions of s2Member and WordPress are running?
  • Would you mind providing us Dashboard an FTP access via Private Contact Form?

See: s2Member® » Private Contact Form

Posted: Wednesday Jul 3rd, 2013 at 5:52 am #52942
Bruce
Staff Member

Hi James,

I received a Private Contact Form submission, but I haven’t got back a reply from you regarding the questions I asked. Would you mind updating us here so I can contact Jason?

Posted: Wednesday Jul 3rd, 2013 at 7:30 am #52953
JAMES HALL

…. does anyone ever mention that sometimes replies don’t get posted? weird. here goes again:

is this Safari on Mac, or Safari or Windows, or both? (Do you know?)

> it’s both

Does the problem only happen whenever you use FlowPlayer to play the video file, or can you also recreate the issue with a direct link to the download?

> i can’t figure out how to make it play inline in safari — changing the s2m inline file extensions to include mp4 make try and play using quicktime (and then fails). These files play in QT just fine outside of the browser

What versions of s2Member and WordPress are running?

> s2m v 130221 / wp 3.5.1

Posted: Wednesday Jul 3rd, 2013 at 4:14 pm #52966
Bruce
Staff Member

i can’t figure out how to make it play inline in safari — changing the s2m inline file extensions to include mp4 make try and play using quicktime (and then fails). These files play in QT just fine outside of the browser

Okay so you’re using MP4 Files. I just did a lot of research on this and it looks like Safari will fail to load MP4 files on some web hosts because the servers don’t support the MP4 format. Try adding this line to your central .htaccess file and see if you can load the files then:

AddType video/mp4 .mp4
Posted: Wednesday Jul 3rd, 2013 at 4:31 pm #52967
JAMES HALL

ok, but the issue is_not that safari is having problems nor is it that my server is having problems playing mp4s — it’s that safari will only play mp4s when they are NOT protected by s2member.

As soon as the page/file is protexted (using level + ccaps) i get this:

html5: Video file not found

Just for fun, i did add the mime type and, it made no diff.

Posted: Wednesday Jul 3rd, 2013 at 4:50 pm #52969
Bruce
Staff Member

ok, but the issue is_not that safari is having problems nor is it that my server is having problems playing mp4s — it’s that safari will only play mp4s when they are NOT protected by s2member.

Gotcha. I’m sending this to Jason now.

Posted: Tuesday Jul 9th, 2013 at 5:34 am #53165
Bruce
Staff Member

So sorry for the delay in response. Jason wrote back explaining what’s causing the problem with Safari, and what you can do to fix it.

Essentially, what’s happening is that Safari does not pass authentication cookies through video tags, so s2Member can’t authenticate the User, and does not return the file.

The quick way to remedy this is to use the authentication keys provided here:

Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Download Options -› Advanced Download Restrictions

That way, s2Member does not need to authenticate the User based on their cookies, and can instead just serve the file.

Will that work for you?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.