latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Protecting categories with shopping carts

Home Forums Community Forum Protecting categories with shopping carts

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  cassel 4 years, 9 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Thursday Mar 1st, 2012 at 2:38 pm #6913
Pandaboom
Username: Pandaboom

Hello

I am searching for a membership plugin that will do something a bit different to what most folks want, so before I purchase I need to find out if s2member will help.

I am not sure, but I guess my first question will be can it be used with a ecommerce site?

I will have a Shopping Cart area setup, a new visitor will be able to purchase items or mine and pay using PP.

I also want an area for Wholesales only, this content needs to be protected from the general retail section. All wholesale products and prices must only be shown to these members only. They will be able to login, make their order and pay for the order via PP.

Now I can do this is 2 ways I guess.

1. Setup products on a page adding a PP button to each product. Have s2member give access to the correct member – so 1 page setup for Retail Prices with thoses members whom have access, and another page setup that is for Wholesales only.

2. Use an ecommerce plugin that allows me to create products etc…

I dont have a lot of products as I am a label manufacturer, so I will have a few Generic Items for fast ordering, but custom labels require direct contact. So in essence I dont ‘have’ to have a whole ecommerce plugin. But If I were to can s2member protect certain categories of ecommerce plugins, or IF i were to just setup seperate pages with the products, creating the products via PP and inserting them onto a page, I would need s2member to protect the seperate levels – retail / Wholesale.

btw – Wholesale signup will not be a public thing to share, the link for them to signup and login with will be personally given to a client. Only the retail will be public on the site to signup and have access to purchase.

Ok, I hope I explained myself well and not overkilled it!!!

Thanks in advanced.

S.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Mar 2nd, 2012 at 4:49 am #7026

Hi S.

You can let everyone register in WordPress and then just manually upgrade wholesalers to have a higher level than regular users, and protect the pages for them at that higher level. Lower level users won’t have enough access to view them.

s2Member can control access to pages served by WordPress, so if the cart you’re using works inside WP, s2Member could be used to restrict access to it using the URI restriction. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options -› URI Access Restrictions[/hilite]

I suggest you install the free version and play with it a bit, it has all you need to do that.

I hope that helps. :)

Posted: Friday Mar 16th, 2012 at 6:27 pm #8429
Pandaboom
Username: Pandaboom

Hello.

Thanks for the comment and feedback.

Just to clarify, Does this mean I can create just two free levels – 1 for retailers, 1 for wholesalers. Can this be done in the free version?

Thanks

Posted: Friday Mar 16th, 2012 at 7:03 pm #8433
cassel
Username: cassel

You can probably use Custom Capabilities and set some pages to the ccaps of “wholesale” and then you can upgrade the wholesalers to have that ccap. Then, they will be able to see all the wholesale pages and the others. If you want the wholesalers to NOT see the regular pages, then you can set up those pages to a ccap of “regular” and restrict access to the “regular” customers only.

Custom Capabilities are like keyholes on the pages, and the members get the key. If the member has the matching key, they will access the page (or content), but if they dont have the right key they wont see the page!

You can learn more on custom capabilities (ccaps) with the video here (i dont know how to embed the videos in here):
http://www.s2member.com/videos/A2C07377CF60025E/?tw_p=twt

Good luck.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.