latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Public Content and Archive Questions

Home Forums Community Forum Public Content and Archive Questions

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Raam Dev 4 years, 8 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Tuesday May 1st, 2012 at 3:10 pm #12307

I’ve read through the plugin info on my site and I’ve performed several searches on this site. Nothing I find helps me, so if this help already exits please direct me to it.

I’m creating a new redesigned site for a magazine, and we only have two levels (free & paid) in s2Members Pro. Free members should have access to current posts in certain categories, and older posts (Archives) are only available to paid members. Ideally every article would have a “teaser” intro (1-2 paragraphs) with a call to action to become a member to access the rest.

Here are my questions:

• Is there a way to apply in bulk shortcodes to limit public content to the first two paragraphs, since we have over 650 posts already?
  • What is the easiest way to manage current vs. archived posts?
  • Is there also a way to set up the restrictions so that free members can access only the most recent post in a category?

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Tuesday May 1st, 2012 at 5:46 pm #12331
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Nick,

This is certainly all possible with s2Member, but it will require making extensive use of the s2Member conditionals (see Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting -› Advanced PHP Conditionals and Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting -› Advanced Query Conditionals) and making modifications to your theme files.

To give free members access to the latest article in each category, you’ll want to modify the query that pulls the articles (in your theme’s category.php template file) to only display the latest article in a special way that makes it obvious free users can see that but not the previous ones.

You’ll also need to modify the single.php file to check if the article being displayed is the latest one (or the latest one within its category…) and then display it to free users (you can check if they’re a free user using current_user_can(“access_s2member_level0”)).

I’m not sure what you mean by “easiest way to manage current vs. archived posts”; could you elaborate?

Also, this thread on using the <-- more --> tag to show excerpts may be helpful.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.