latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

public Members Directory and custom fields

Home Forums Community Forum public Members Directory and custom fields

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years, 1 month ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Tuesday Nov 20th, 2012 at 12:47 pm #32114
Iaeon
Username: SRAAdmin

I have been holding off development of a members directory and collecting anything other than minimal information from my users for 9 months now, and can probably hold off just into the New Year. It is becoming pressing however to find a solution.

If I build something with AMR users and try and get it to ‘play nice’ with S2 Member it looks like something can be wrestled into place with a certain amount of effort ( see http://wpusersplugin.com/3086/user-lists-and-filtering-with-s2member-fields/ ).

I am unclear however if it is best to add custom fields to S2 member (ugly) or to AMR? Either way at such time as a hoped for upgrade to S2 Member might arrive supporting public members directories (and custom fields that are not all mashed into one user-meta record), which approach is likely to present the easier migration path?

Either way doing anything ‘interim’ is likely to end up taking a lot of extra time – so I guess I am really asking if there are any tips on how to make it as smooth and fast as possible. Obviously should there be any Christmas cheer in the form of a beta release of S2Member on the way this would be fantastic!

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Tuesday Nov 20th, 2012 at 5:16 pm #32156
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Laeon,

I’m not familiar with the details of such an integration, so unfortunately I don’t have any advice. You might try posting your question in the Community Forum to see if anyone else has done something similar. I also cannot speculate on a release date for the next major release, but I agree it would be nice to see a beta by Christmas! :) We can hope!

Posted: Wednesday Nov 21st, 2012 at 4:03 pm #32274
Iaeon

Hi Raam

The core question I have is about likely ease of migration. Thinking about it I would assume that if / when the custom fields are handled differently by S2Member that S2Member will likely offer a graceful upgrade path for customers who have custom data in the ‘old’ format… Indeed I might imagine that this is a time-consuming aspect delaying any beta, but hey, that would be idle speculation!

Posted: Thursday Nov 22nd, 2012 at 6:58 am #32334

I am unclear however if it is best to add custom fields to S2 member (ugly) or to AMR? Either way at such time as a hoped for upgrade to S2 Member might arrive supporting public members directories (and custom fields that are not all mashed into one user-meta record), which approach is likely to present the easier migration path?

When we finally release a new format for the custom profile fields, there will be a way to upgrade from the current one in s2Member.

Also, the s2Member User Export/Import tools will be available and improved too. Moving the custom fields from s2Member to another system or the other way, should not be too hard if the other system (e.g. AMR) can import/export the data too.

Does that answer your question? :)

Posted: Thursday Nov 22nd, 2012 at 7:06 am #32336
Iaeon

Thanks Christian – could not ask for more (apart from that beta release for Christmas!).

Posted: Thursday Nov 22nd, 2012 at 7:54 am #32348

Great! :)

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.