latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Question about SSL

Home Forums Community Forum Question about SSL

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices. Last updated by  aus_team 4 years, 2 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Thursday Oct 18th, 2012 at 1:32 pm #28875
aus_team
Username: austeam

Hi,

my site is not ssl at the moment. If I use paypal to receive payments, do I need to be on SSL?

If I did not use SSL on my site, will all transaction not secured?

Can you please enlighten me about this. Do I need to buy SSL or not?

Thanks

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Thursday Oct 18th, 2012 at 6:49 pm #28941
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hello,

If you’re using PayPal Pro and accepting payments on your site, PayPal requires that you use SSL. However, if you’re not using PayPal Pro, all payment transactions are conducted through the payment processors website, which is already secured with SSL. In other words, you’re safe.

However, it’s always a good idea to be using SSL on your site to protect non-payment things like the WordPress logins.

Posted: Thursday Oct 18th, 2012 at 7:08 pm #28946
aus_team

How difficult it is to learn SSL? Do you have guide? Do you recommend anyone where to get SSL?

Posted: Thursday Oct 18th, 2012 at 8:39 pm #28950
aus_team

do i need extended verification SSL?

Posted: Friday Oct 19th, 2012 at 9:18 am #28999

How difficult it is to learn SSL? Do you have guide? Do you recommend anyone where to get SSL?

I think it’d be best to contact your web hosting company about it. There are different sources to get an SSL certificate from.

EV SSL may not be required to receive payments on-site, but I’m not sure, never had this asked before. I’ll email Jason to confirm this.

Posted: Friday Oct 19th, 2012 at 10:00 am #29012
aus_team

I have unmanaged dedicated server. asking my host to do it will require fees. Do you have step by step instruction of doing this?

thanks

Posted: Friday Oct 19th, 2012 at 8:15 pm #29085
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

You might try searching Google. If you’re running your own dedicated server, it’s going to require experience installing SSL certificates in your specific server environment.

This is not something related to s2Member at all and it’s outside the scope of our support policy. s2Member is a WordPress plugin and SSL certificates are something that get installed with your web server software, not with s2Member.

Posted: Wednesday Oct 24th, 2012 at 5:35 am #29475
Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up on this question.

EV SSL may not be required to receive payments on-site, but I’m not sure, never had this asked before. I’ll email Jason to confirm this.

Any valid SSL certificate will be sufficient in terms of software compatibility (the cheaper the better in my opinion). The same goes for PCI compliance (in most cases a standard SSL certificate is fine, depending on your overall sales volume – ask for recommendations and/or requirements from your bank or payment gateway please).

FYI: Extended validation costs more, provides some added benefits to you as the site owner, but still accomplishes pretty much the same thing as a simple standard SSL certificate. Please see:
http://www.godaddy.com/ssl/ssl-certificates.aspx

Posted: Wednesday Oct 24th, 2012 at 6:20 am #29481
aus_team

Thanks Jason

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.