latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Registration page layout: urgent problem

Home Forums Community Forum Registration page layout: urgent problem

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Terri 4 years, 8 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Tuesday Apr 17th, 2012 at 4:14 am #10978
Terri
Username: tokyoterri

Hi Folks:

Well, I’ve been wrestling with the problem of my client’s Registration Page layout for weeks now. Although I don’t have a budget for it, at my own expense I hired a developer to help me deal with it, and he’s told me that it’ll take days to fix.

I have to present the site to the client tomorrow afternoon, and am at my wit’s end.

Here’s the page:
http://few.modernmediajapan.com/register/

Here’s what I need to make it look like:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tokyoterri/6940601864/

Isn’t there a template page or something that I can use to just make the page look better without having to be a crack php developer? I’m willing to put in time experimenting, but it’s so complicated that I don’t know where to go now. I tried reading the hacks list, but I don’t understand any of it.

here’s what the guy I hired told me:

The left side is the default buddy press user registration fields,
the right side holds custom fields for the S2 plugin that the site is using.
therefore all these fields are the right have been defined by said plugin
and need to live in this div as that is where the plugin generates them.
Move the ones that you want over on the left using this plugin is not an
easy feat, and would require significant time. A couple days to get it
right in my opinion, it also involves modifying the plugin to allow you to
decide where you want the info to be put, but that would lead to you not
being able to upgrade the plugin in the future.

The fields could possibly be laid out using CSS positioning, but that too
would take a significant amount of time to sort out as well. Probably more
than a day because there are so many fields that aren’t there that need to
be added, and then having to measure out all the distances and get them
right.

Is that right? Is this the only way to just make the page look better?

please help!

Thanks,

Terri

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Wednesday Apr 18th, 2012 at 4:01 am #11072

Hi Terry.

I’m sorry I can’t help much, but you should look at this file: [hilite mono]s2member/includes/classes/custom-reg-fields-4bp.inc.php[/hilite], which is where this happens. There you may be able to change the template a bit to suit your need and then manipulate even more with CSS.

It’s true that an update would change this file back to default, and there aren’t hooks you can use in this case, but you can try making a copy of the whole class to the mu-plugins directory and customize that. Since every s2Member class first checks if the class already exists, then having yours be there first will prevent the default one from being used.

I hope that helps you get this done faster. ;)

Posted: Wednesday Apr 18th, 2012 at 7:05 am #11098
Epix Media
Username: epixmedia

Hi Terri, I would think a developer could achieve your required layout in a hour or so using CSS to float each of your custom fields either left of right…

I can see you’ve partially managed to do that, and by adding in the rest of the custom fields and floating those left, clearing the other left floated items (username & password etc) and applying a width you should get your layout…

Hope that helps!

Posted: Wednesday Apr 18th, 2012 at 11:44 pm #11187
Terri
Username: tokyoterri

Hi Cristián and Epix Media:

Thank you both for your notes. I am going to try using CSS and not touch the actual functioning of each field, and if that works, it’ll be golden. If I have to deal with S2Member functions, then I’m out of my depth so will have to try to find someone to help.

thanks again.

Terri

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.