latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Restore or recover s2member after deactivated

Home Forums Community Forum Restore or recover s2member after deactivated

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices. Last updated by  Raam Dev 4 years, 3 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Friday Sep 28th, 2012 at 8:35 am #26836

S2member plugin accidentally deactivated. I believe all

Will it be sufficient to simply restore full content of wp_usermeta table from previous database backup?

(I believe all Custom Profile Fields are stored there).

Are there any other actions I must do or any other database tables to restore in order to get my s2member installation back to its previously activated state?

Will my Paypal integration data be recovered?

• This topic was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by  David Holland.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Sep 28th, 2012 at 1:31 pm #26871
Eduan
Username: Eduan

Hello David,

If under Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› Deactivation Safeguards you have it on, then you only need to activate it again and your s2Member should be back to normal.

I don’t know what you would need to do if you didn’t have them activated…

Hope this helps. :)

Posted: Friday Sep 28th, 2012 at 2:45 pm #26881

Thanks for the input… as it turns out, i did/do have that value turned on.

However, after re-activation, none of my previous Custom Profile Fields exist. They don’t exist in the user records nor do they exist at Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› Registration/Profile Fields & Options

Perhaps, the question I should ask is WHERE are the definition of these fields stored and is there a way to re-populate them?

Posted: Saturday Sep 29th, 2012 at 8:27 am #26938

Hi David.

I’m not sure why you’d lose all options and data if you had Deactivation Safeguards active. Maybe you do have the setting enabled now, but it wasn’t before s2Member got deactivated?

In any case, s2Member stores the custom profile fields for users in the usermeta table, but the definitions would be in the options table, if I’m not mistaken. Postmeta may have some s2Member stuff too.

If the backup is recent, wouldn’t it be simpler to restore it complete?

I hope that helps. :)

Posted: Sunday Sep 30th, 2012 at 11:08 am #27014

Thanks for the info, Christian. The reason for my questions… I had reset my wp-config file to simply point to the backup of my database; however, the s2member data was still blank.

When I compare the wp_options and the wp_usermeta table for my current database vs. my backup database, i can see that my backup database has a lot more s2member-related data. So, maybe you’re correct and I had the safeguard set incorrectly (although, i sure thought i did have it correct) but, I could be wrong.

Still, I had expected that simply pointing back to the backup database would have been sufficient. Soooo… I can see that data exists in the tables, I simply can’t access them. I’m racking my brain for ideas…

* I always try to stay current with updates but maybe, I updated s2member software AFTER my backup. Could that be a problem? Is there a way to tell from the database info which version of s2member was active at the time?

* is there any other tool/trick that can extract the s2member data from a database so it can be re-imported into the correct database?

I am so desperate now that later today I may try to create a whole new WP installation with only s2member as a plug-in then import the wp_users, wp_options and wp_usermeta tables — hopefully, i can then try the IMPORT/EXPORT of s2member data that you suggested in the related post: http://www.s2member.com/forums/topic/no-profile-fields-safeguard-active/#26943

Alas… today’s is my birthday so I am going to try to enjoy some of it then spend another few hours to try to track this down this evening. Unfortunately, starting tomorrow, I have to work back-to-back 10-hour days at my real job then I can turn my attention back to this problem in 3 days.

Of course, I’ll post an update if I solve it before then but i still welcome ANY thoughts you or others might have so I can try them when I can.

Thanks, in advance, for your thoughts.

Posted: Monday Oct 1st, 2012 at 7:26 am #27051

Those are the ideas I had, but I’ll post an update if I think of anything else, of course.

I think the export-import idea may work, let me know if it helped, or if you have other questions, I’ll be glad to assist as I can.

Posted: Tuesday Oct 2nd, 2012 at 1:42 am #27174

Okay.. i restored software back to the day before I de-activated the re-actived S2member AND i restored database to the day before I I de-activated the re-actived S2member.

I’ve made some progress… now, when I look at a user record, I can see basic s2member data (e.g. Paid Subscription ID, Automatic EOT Time). However, I still cannot see any of the Custom Profile Fields listed in S2member General Options nor in an individual user record.

If I look in database tables themselves, I see s2member records per user in wp_usermeta table that include data such wp_s2member_custom_fields — complete with relevant data. Sooo, the data is in the table, it’s simply NOT be shown in WP.

Since it’s not visible in WP, I don’t know if it makes any sense to try the Export/Import trick.

Please offer any advice on next step.

(BTW… I’d even consider a for-pay option to try to get this data restored and back to a manageable model. Does s2member offer any additional custom support option… if so, send me an email).

Posted: Tuesday Oct 2nd, 2012 at 7:12 am #27204

If I look in database tables themselves, I see s2member records per user in wp_usermeta table that include data such wp_s2member_custom_fields — complete with relevant data. Sooo, the data is in the table, it’s simply NOT be shown in WP.

I see. I’m suspecting it’s an interface problem, then, probably caused by a JavaScript conflict introduced by the theme or another plugin, or using a custom index page.

Are you using an index.html file to override the default index.php in WP? This would cause problems with s2Member’s JS even in the admin area.

To test the theme, switch to the TwentyEleven theme and then refresh the s2Member General Options page to check the custom profile fields.

To test plugins, deactivate them one by one, checking after each if the problem continues, please.

Let me know how it goes! I hope it helps find the source of the problem. :)

Posted: Wednesday Oct 3rd, 2012 at 12:52 pm #27346

Progress this morning…
1) I set-up a completely fresh installation of WP
2) I imported the wp_options, wp_users & wp_usermeta table from the backup-version of the previous WP
3) I ensured siteURL=correct_address and set theme to be Twenty11

Still, I can not see the Custom Profile Fields in the s2member General Options tab. It seems that the data is in the database tables but not being displayed/accessed appropriately

Any next suggestion?

Also, At this point, I’m even willing to manually re-create ALL of the Custom fields to see if they will then appear in the member records IF ONLY i can translate from the existing data in s2member records to know how each one was originally defined.

* In what field of the wp_options table should I be looking to know how a specific Custom Field is defined?

Posted: Thursday Oct 4th, 2012 at 6:48 am #27401

I see… Maybe there’s something else in those tables contributing to the problem? Did you try copying just the rows for the custom fields instead of the full tables?

The custom profile fields would be saved as serialized arrays, where it’s defined and where they have values for a user, if I’m not mistaken.

To find the rows, search for “s2” in the table, you should be able to find the rows. If you didn’t know how to find them, how can you tell the custom fields are in the database?

Posted: Thursday Oct 4th, 2012 at 7:15 pm #27507

Problem resolved.

To close the loop… I did know how to find entries (i had already done a search on “s2” in the table)… what I wasn’t clear about was which one of the many s2member records I found would be most germane to my problem. I eventually figured out that it was the record for “ws_plugin__s2member_options”.

So, the whole source of the problem was that that particular field contained truncated/incomplete data. As it turns out, the source of the problem was neither a human nor an s2member error. Instead, there was a problem on the server in the IMPORT process for the database. Once that could be circumvented and the full record restored then everything worked well.

Posted: Friday Oct 5th, 2012 at 4:03 am #27538
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Thank you for the update, David. Glad to hear you resolved it!

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.