latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Restricting a forum and new topics within

Home Forums Community Forum Restricting a forum and new topics within

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years, 4 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Monday Sep 3rd, 2012 at 9:00 pm #23970
James Halski
Username: jhalski

Hello,

We use bbpress and have forums that free subscribers have access to. We have one forum where we would like only paid members to have access to. I set this forum up and set it so only s2member level#1 users can access it. The problem we are having is when a paid member posts a topic within that forum. That new topic shows up on “Recent Topics” widget on our home page, and that new topic, when it is posted, is not restricted at all. So all free subscribers can click on that link in the recent topics widget, and see the post. It won’t be restricted unless we go into that topic and manually change it to level#1 members only. Doing this for each topic is obviously not ideal.

Is there a way where we can set only topics posted in that forum to be restricted to level 1 members automatically or do you know of a better way of making this work? Thank you!

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Tuesday Sep 4th, 2012 at 12:17 am #23995
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi James,

I suggest using URI Restrictions for this and setting restrictions based on the URL: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options -› URI Access Restrictions.

Posted: Tuesday Sep 4th, 2012 at 2:07 am #24007
James Halski

he problem is with each new topic that is created. There is no setting to automatically make each topic posted in that forum protected to level 1. Each topic that is posted starts off with no restrictions, until we manually go in and set the restriction.

I tested setting a URI restriction, it didn’t work. Each new topic that is posted would be a unique URI correct? So i would need to manually go in and put that unique URI in anyway right? Unless I read it wrong, i believe thats how it works.

This is the URI i put in to protect with Level #1 or higher:

/Forum/forum/forum-home/trading-lab/

This is an example of a specific post in that forum that i’m trying to protect:

https://www.ftbt.com/Forum/topic/9212-trading-lab-notes/

I would like it to protect each new post automatically. Did i set it up wrong? Sorry i’m not too good at this yet.

Posted: Tuesday Sep 4th, 2012 at 8:21 pm #24091
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

James,

If you want to protect all new topics, then you should add /Forum/topic/ to the Level 1 URI restriction. That will protect everything that starts with /Forum/topic/, including /Forum/topic/9212-trading-lab-notes/.

Posted: Tuesday Sep 4th, 2012 at 10:11 pm #24110
James Halski

That does work to block all new topics. But we only want to block new topics in that specific forum called Trading Lab. Adding /Forum/topic/ blocks all new topics posted in all forums.

Is there any way to block only topics in the Trading lab forum which is this link?:

https://www.ftbt.com/Forum/forum/forum-home/trading-lab/

Thank you!

Posted: Thursday Sep 6th, 2012 at 6:53 am #24281

Hi James.

I’m not familiar with bbPress and its topic permalinks. Would all threads in that forum have something in common that is unique to that forum? For example /trading-lab/. If you have nothing you can pick from the URL that’d identify a thread in that forum, then I’m afraid it won’t be possible. But if you have something like that, then URI restriction can be used.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.