latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Resume Support on big Downloads (~2-3GB)

Home Forums Community Forum Resume Support on big Downloads (~2-3GB)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years, 1 month ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Thursday Nov 22nd, 2012 at 6:25 am #32326

Hi, what’s the best way to offer big files for download to members.
I currently use the quickcodes, but that causes problems for people with instable/slower connections.

I have several files for download over 1GB size (there is about 5TB downloads monthly), so what is the best way to make sure people can download them with resume support. Currently I get Resume not possible with FDM or Firefox built-in download manager, while it does work for files that I store just normally on my server/website.

Besides, is it possible to specify another folder to be protected by s2member. I would like to have a folder on the website root called downloads (or similar) instead of storing the downloads in the wp-plugins s2memberfiles subfolder, cause that would make for easier backup of the website (I don’t want to backup the s2memberfiles folder when I create a backup, cause that folder has about 50GB of data).

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Nov 23rd, 2012 at 6:32 am #32392

Probably the best thing to try would be using Amazon S3. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Download Options -› Amazon® S3/CDN Storage[/hilite]

Video » s2Member® File Downloads (Amazon S3/CloudFront/JW Player)

I hope that helps. :)

Posted: Friday Nov 23rd, 2012 at 6:33 am #32393

Uh, that’s really expensive compared to using Hetzner Root Servers that I need anyhow…
Any tips on how to make it less errorprone using a normal root server?

Posted: Friday Nov 23rd, 2012 at 7:04 am #32403

No, I don’t know…

So you’ve tested the s2member-files folder for this and it didn’t resume big downloads properly? I’m not sure if it’ll help, but this article has some things you can try: Knowledge Base » Resolving Problems with File Downloads

You can change the files folder, but the delivery method would be the same: http://www.primothemes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2719#p8017

Big files will work best with the Amazon integration. To secure files in the web server, they have to be delivered via the script, and this has memory and runtime limitations.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.