latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Reverse proxy

Home Forums Community Forum Reverse proxy

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Raam Dev 4 years, 6 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Tuesday Jun 26th, 2012 at 11:20 am #17552

Hi Team,

I just wanted to know what will happen if I put my site behind a reverse proxy server.
This makes getting the correct client IP to block slightly more complicated.

My concern is when it comes to the Brute Force IP/Login Restrictions and Unique IP Access Restrictions, are those functions able to detect the use of a reverse proxy server and find the correct IP so not to lock everyone out, or will s2member behave as though everyones IP is that of the reverse proxy server?

Thank you

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Wednesday Jun 27th, 2012 at 6:21 am #17635
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Philly,

s2Member uses the PHP’s $_SERVER[‘REMOTE_ADDR’] variable to retrieve the remote IP address. If you’re using a reverse proxy, then the web server (and therefore PHP) will only see the IP address of the proxy, not the actual IP address of the remote user.

There are ways around this, but you’ll need to tinker with your web server / proxy configuration to get it working. This link might be a good place to start.

Posted: Wednesday Jun 27th, 2012 at 2:14 pm #17676

Thank you Raam,

Installing that Apache module done the trick :)

Posted: Thursday Jun 28th, 2012 at 7:36 am #17755
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Glad I could help! :)

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.