latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

S2 and Passwords

Home Forums Community Forum S2 and Passwords

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice. Last updated by  N. Lee 3 years, 2 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Monday Oct 14th, 2013 at 12:51 pm #60350
N. Lee
Username: grant

I’ve checked forum and codex for this.. as a note, when searching the forum for “password” it shows every single page of the forum, which is not helpful IF looking for topics about “password(s)”.

So, I notice that S2 makes a concerted effort to once a password is created, hash it and never address it again accept obviously for login or the option to change it.

BUT, I need to somehow retrieve it. My client at certain times needs to give the ALREADY set password to a member. He doesn’t want to always have to reset and then email a member their password.

Sure I could go the lonnnng route and hook into the registration and save out the password to a separate table for each user BUT then I would have to also code to change it should user change p/w and I can think of like 5 other reasons that p/w MAY have to be changed and I’d rather not have to code for all of that, when..

I could just get the p/w somehow from whats already their and already updated etc with S2. Now, obviously i could find the p/w field in DB and do an SQL to get and display the vale BUT obviously it is hashed and probably serialized.

So, can a dev please tell me how I get display a p/w????

Please note I do have Pro and am aware of API and also if need be I can do remote operation. But I do need a way to access current P/Ws!

Or should this be submitted to tech support form?

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Monday Oct 14th, 2013 at 12:59 pm #60351
N. Lee

Ironically, I JUST went back to work on the above site, and am attempting to do an export and then import of members (I’m updating members at new site / new server / new dns).. and I see the following:

Please note. Export files do NOT contain Passwords. Passwords are stored by WordPress® with one-way encryption. In other words, it’s not possible for s2Member to include them in the export file. However, this does NOT create a problem, because when/if you re-import existing Users/Members with the Password field empty, s2Member will simply keep the existing Password that is already on file. For further information, please read all Import instructions, regarding Passwords.

So, I guess this is basically out of S2’s hands.. I could do what i need right in WP as S2 simply reads/writes to the p/w that is already there?

Lastly, it would be really helpful if there was a shortcode to show p/w for admin use, even IF it were only for display!!! Is there?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by  N. Lee.
  • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by  N. Lee.
Posted: Monday Oct 21st, 2013 at 10:17 pm #60508
N. Lee

Have S2 Pro..
Is there a way for owners of their own sites to ‘see’ passwords for members of their sites?
It is somewhat of a headache to be FORCED to have S2 reset a person’s password and HOPE they get the email and then HOPE they click the link and HOPE.. etc.
It would be much easier for my client to look a member up under certain circumstances and just give them their password.

Can someone from S2 PLEASE answer if this can be done?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.