latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

S2 member and htaccess error

Home Forums Community Forum S2 member and htaccess error

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices. Last updated by  DrByte 4 years, 7 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Monday Mar 5th, 2012 at 1:50 pm #7349
Mamdouh Samy
Username: elmalak

I’ve upgraded to the latest version of S2 member recently and since then I’ve been having problems with the .htaccess file error that give me “500 Internal Server Error”

When I open the file I find the WordPress code in it repeated tens of times, and I delete all of them and restore the original file, and then soon after that, it happens again.

Any chance that S2 could be causing this ?

Many thanks.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Sunday Mar 11th, 2012 at 9:48 am #7858
Aaron Hill
Username: armahillo

I had this problem and was able to correct it changing one line on the .htaccess file addition:

RewriteBase Foobarbaz

to

RewriteBase /

Just replace the “RewriteBase” in the S2 addition to your .htaccess so that it duplicates what was in the original WP block.

Either the installation incorrectly set this up, or my client typed the wrong thing in (if that’s the case, perhaps the installation form could do better prompting on the line for that setting?). Either way — it’s fixable. :)

Posted: Monday Mar 12th, 2012 at 7:36 am #7886
Mamdouh Samy
Username: elmalak

I tried to disable some plugins to see if they were to blame, and it seems some other plugin was causing this fault.

I believe S2 member didn’t cause this one.

thanks,

Posted: Wednesday Mar 14th, 2012 at 12:57 am #8083

Thanks for confirming that. Glad you sorted it out. :)

Could you tell us what plugin that was? We are trying to build a list of known issues.

Thanks!

Posted: Thursday May 17th, 2012 at 9:15 am #13769
webierweb
Username: joec

It seems like I have an htaccess in the s2member plugin folder…..i also have my htaccess in the root folder…..s2member is randomly causing an internal server error….i need to rename the htaccess file in the root and then the site comes back up…what could s2member be doing to my root htaccess file?

How do I fix this?

Posted: Thursday May 17th, 2012 at 9:18 am #13770
webierweb
Username: joec

It actually seems that the error starting happening after I began using the s2member-secure-file feature…..could it be the s2member secure file uploader plugin?

Posted: Friday May 18th, 2012 at 6:17 am #13854

Some versions ago there was a problem with the rules s2Member added to the root’s .htaccess file. What version of s2Member are you using?

It may be the RewriteBase dir. I remember one site owner had something odd in his server that didn’t let WordPress figure out the proper base dir and s2Member uses the dir WP gives it for this. Could you check your .htaccess file and see if the RewriteBase is correct, please?

I hope that helps. :)

Posted: Sunday Jun 3rd, 2012 at 10:54 am #15281
Aaron Hill

I am still having problems with this. Whenever I save the options, it re creates the block, using the wrong ReWriteBase. Under “Download Options”, in the “Preventing GZip conflicts on server”, it display the block as it is being written (in its incorrect form)

Here’s what it’s showing:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase lenormand
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (^|\?|&)s2member_file_download\=.+
RewriteRule .* – [E=no-gzip:1]

And here’s what it should be doing (this is what I correct it to EVERY TIME I SAVE THE OPTIONS). The WordPress-created RewriteBase lines above use the correct location as well.

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule .* – [E=no-gzip:1]

The site’s URL is lenormand.info, which MIGHT be where it’s deriving that from, I don’t know. I have browsed through all the S2 and WP options to look for somewhere that might have “lenormand” as a value, and have found nothing.

S2 Version Info:
Version: 120601
Stable tag: 120601

The normal permalink structure and RewriteRules defined by WordPress are no problem; the only time this issue is created is when S2 is saved. Any suggestions? Really, if I just knew how it was creating its RewriteBase line, that would probably be enough. I guess I could go poking around in the source and see what I find. I’ll post back here if I find anything.

Posted: Sunday Jun 3rd, 2012 at 11:14 pm #15309

I see. I found this same problem in another site once. The rewrite base that s2Member uses, is matched to that of the configured domain for the installation under [hilite path]WP -> Settings -> General[/hilite].

Could you send the dashboard and FTP login info to take a look at what you have? s2Member® » Private Contact Form

Posted: Tuesday Jun 5th, 2012 at 12:38 am #15423
Aaron Hill

Hi Cristián,

The WordPress Address and Site Address are both set to: http://lenormand.info — but the RewriteBase is just “lenormand” (no quotes).

Is there a particular option or record in the DB that I should double-check? Or better yet — can you tell me which file to look at in S2? I’m not saying that S2 specifically is at fault here, I just want to know what it’s referencing specifically so that I can at least verify that it is or isn’t a problem with the WP installation.

Thanks!

Aaron

Posted: Tuesday Jun 5th, 2012 at 7:53 pm #15590

Here’s where the RewriteBase is gotten in s2Member: s2member/includes/templates/cfg-files/s2member-files-no-gzip.php

[hilite pre_code]

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase
RewriteRule .* - [E=no-gzip:1]

[/hilite]

Perhaps another plugin is filtering the output from [hilite mono]network_home_url()[/hilite] and s2Member got the wrong value. Could you try echoing this in a WP page to see what it outputs?

[hilite pre_code]

[/hilite]
Posted: Saturday Jun 9th, 2012 at 10:44 pm #16098
Aaron Hill

Thanks for the suggestion — I stuck the following in my wp-header.php file in the theme:

<!-- FOO
<?php
echo network_home_url() . '
' . c_ws_plugin__s2member_utils_urls::parse_url (network_home_url ("/"), PHP_URL_PATH);
?>

which yielded:

<!-- FOO
http://lenormand.info
/
-->

The “RewriteBase” line that was being added incorrectly was using the value “lenormand” rather than “/” (which is what it should be).

Also, I don’t know if this is relevant, but the Begin/End WordPress htaccess stuff has been automatically written three times. (The block that has: RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f in it)

The plugin, on the whole, works great. But for some reason, it seems to be messing up when doing writes/re-writes to the .htaccess file.

Posted: Sunday Jun 10th, 2012 at 1:42 am #16105
DrByte
Username: DrByte

I think there is an error somewhere too, Advanced Mod-Rewrite Linkage does not work anymore..rolled back to basic download option and it’s working.

Something like this does not work anymore

/wp-content/plugins/s2member-files/s2member-file-inline/

Sam

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.