latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

S2 Members – BE WARNED!

Home Forums Community Forum S2 Members – BE WARNED!

This topic contains 19 replies, has 9 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years, 10 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Saturday Feb 11th, 2012 at 9:24 pm #4843
BD Dale
Username: briandalegm

I am so disheartened about S2. As a FREE user, I just discovered S2 inserts unwanted text ads into all website copy. As a SEO expert, be warned that the following issues will arise with this unseemly practive:

– Draws traffic away from your site and offers and onto other sites

– KILLS your SEO page rank in organic search. The issues here are devastating to your website’s traffic efforts.

– Nullifies the interlinking on your won site’s content.

I am shooting a video for upload to various video upload sites, Youtube being chief and will release a press release to warn of this practice by S2. Wow, for a couple of cents per click on these intext ads, I hope it was worth it S2.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Saturday Feb 11th, 2012 at 10:14 pm #4848

Hello Dale.

I’m sorry you’re having that problem, but that is absolutely not part of s2Member’s behavior. We include no ad or linking in the content, in no way. Try s2Member in a clean installation of WordPress and you will see, or review the code, which is open, and see if you can find any instance of what you mentioned.

I suggest you investigate other plugins you have running or the possibility of having been hacked to include that.

Please let us know if you spot what the source of this was. I hope you can find it soon.

Posted: Saturday Feb 11th, 2012 at 10:19 pm #4851
BD Dale

Thanks for the response – Nevertheless – look at the intext ad on your own website above ‘seo-expert’? The HTML code says Cloud Front which is a part of the integration (Amazon) offered with S2?? There is no other plugin that if different or not updated that I don’t run on all other sites. The only difference is S2. I uploaded a video to Youtube and hyper titled and tagged to get a discussion going on this issue.

Posted: Saturday Feb 11th, 2012 at 10:26 pm #4854
David Welch
Username: dwbiz05

Where is the link. I would love to see actual proof because I can’t even see your claims about their own website.

LOL!

I’ve been looking all over the place for this stuff to see what you are talking about and I can’t find it. I also can’t find your video on youtube.

What is the link to your video or can you be more specific about where it is on this website?

Thanks,
Dave

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by  David Welch.
Posted: Saturday Feb 11th, 2012 at 10:38 pm #4859

Dale, I started watching your video and saw the “SEO Expert” link in your opening post, as you mentioned. I can tell you that is not what I get here, for me it’s just plain text. Here’s a screenshot:

It may be a browser add-on doing it, or maybe your system is infected. Have you tried viewing those pages from another computer?

Posted: Saturday Feb 11th, 2012 at 10:45 pm #4862

Seem be something called Text Enhance, not sure if it’s a Chrome extension.

https://www.google.com/search?q=chrome+”text+enhance”+links

I hope that helps!

Posted: Saturday Feb 11th, 2012 at 10:56 pm #4863
David Welch

LOL!!

I just visited his own website and don’t get the same results…

Nothing like jumping to conclusions without real proof… plus he’s spreading false info on the web about a great company!!

What a waste of the last hour….

Dave

Posted: Saturday Feb 11th, 2012 at 10:58 pm #4864
Debbie
Username: debbie

Have to admit… it was a bit alarming to see this post right away upon joining the community as I consider whether or not s2member is right for my site.

Posted: Saturday Feb 11th, 2012 at 10:59 pm #4865

Thanks for your support, Dave. It’s very appreciated!

I think he honestly believed it was s2Member or he wouldn’t have posted about it. I’m sure he’ll find the source of the problem soon and update us. :)

Posted: Saturday Feb 11th, 2012 at 11:01 pm #4866
David Welch

LOL, my wife, who has no idea about programming, overheard the video he made and looked at it and said, “Oh, that’s a toolbar… I’ve used that before!”

LOL

People…..

Dave

Posted: Saturday Feb 11th, 2012 at 11:02 pm #4867

Hi Debbie. It’s perfectly understandable that it would make you worry to see this. He seems to be having an adware problem in his machine, from what I could find in Google after watching his video.

Posted: Saturday Feb 11th, 2012 at 11:04 pm #4868

Dale, I noticed you removed the video from your YouTube channel. Thank you! :)

Posted: Saturday Feb 18th, 2012 at 10:25 pm #5629

@BD Dale ~ you turn up here and make all kinds of assertions about the way these guys run their business and their unseemly practices, and then, when you find out that it wasn’t them but you that was causing the problem, you don’t even bother to return, admit your mistake and apologize. Now, to make a mistake is only human. We all do it at some time or another. But to not have the decency to admit your mistake and say sorry is pathetic.

Terence.

Posted: Sunday Feb 19th, 2012 at 12:02 am #5638
Gunter Gillot
Username: eucmh

you should ask your wife to know what she did on your computer before posting over here ! :)

Posted: Sunday Feb 19th, 2012 at 2:18 pm #5653
Buck
Username: stephenbuck415

I run s2Member on several sites and no ads or redirects to other sites populate at all. I agree that this person’s problem is not s2Member but is something else on his/her system.

Posted: Wednesday Feb 22nd, 2012 at 11:48 am #5952
DrByte
Username: DrByte

Actually, It’s not a bad idea for Jason to add a small ad to the free version of S2. Why not? Everybody is doing it.

Let’s see, 1/2 mil impression/mo x .005 =’s couple of Maine Lobsters, a huge crab, and beer. Not bad, not bad at all

Sam

Posted: Thursday Feb 23rd, 2012 at 9:23 am #6111
hbgi
Username: hbgi

To anyone concerned that they should not be using S2Member because of the initial post: You have nothing to fear!! S2Member is a great plug in with tons of options. And for a very small price, you can purchase the pro version for your site.

Plus, if you run into any issues, this forum is a great place to get help. I love the plug in and support and highly recommend this membership plug in.

“This ad was not paid for by S2Member” :D

Posted: Friday Feb 24th, 2012 at 6:34 pm #6352

You guys are great! :)

Posted: Tuesday Feb 28th, 2012 at 12:43 pm #6672
BD Dale

S2 Forum –

Let me offer my sincerest of apologies for this nonsense! One of the admins for this particular site seemed to have ran into an ISSUE with the plugin that, after searching, was nothing more than a Google Chrome issue.

As the Founder of WordPress SEO Academy – I assure you that I DO NOT share the opinions contributed here. That Admin is NO LONGER an Admin with my company. The fact is on many more ocassions than I can count – I’ve recommended S2Member as one of only 4 plugins that I believe are worth paying an ongoing fee to access.

Any student enrolled in our E-learning curriculum will vouch for the same. If it is possible – I ask that this particular thread be deleted as more time and effort have been wasted on this non-sense than need be. I am an S2 fan and was hoping that it be possible for your company to set-up my member’s area. This member’s area is HOOOTTT!

Further – delete the profile associated with this email address. Building a business is hard enough without such foolishness…

Posted: Tuesday Feb 28th, 2012 at 3:31 pm #6681

Wow, thanks for the kudos! And apologies accepted. I know how it can be with employees, and we didn’t take any offense.

I realized that it was just a misunderstanding, and so did everyone else, and now they also know that it wasn’t you who thought that.

Thank you very much for clarifying what happened.

If you don’t mind, I’d like to leave this thread and, instead of deleting, would just close it. Do you agree with that? I think that your testimonial does more good than what little -if any- harm your ex-admin did in the first post.

Thank you!

You guys really are great. We’re blessed to have such a great community with you in it. :)

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.