latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

s2Filibuster: A Plead for a Feature

Home Forums Community Forum s2Filibuster: A Plead for a Feature

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years, 5 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Saturday Jul 21st, 2012 at 11:13 am #19904

HEAR YE HEAR YE! This Filibuster is now in session.

As if the creators of s2Member aren’t busy enough, I’d like to informally make things increasingly more complicated by a sort of ‘word protest’, typing until a very needed feature is added. In all due respect and admiration for the aforementioned creators and administrators, this feature is one that is long overdue, undeniably necessary and potentially gray-hair-saving.

As software that powerfully protects and defends content downloads, I feel safe like Justin Bieber’s 401k. However, as a business owner trying to protect my precious and expensive bandwidth and S3 requests, whilst maintaining relationship and accountability with my customers, I am overarchingly in bleeding need of:

A DOWNLOAD TRACKER!

I nearly assumed that this feature would have been a bottom level benefit to the software… to figure out if Jim-Bob from 19 Kids and Counting is downloading my largest file for EVERY ONE OF HIS KIDS. I’d like to add, based on previous requests, that I don’t want to hire a software guru to write the code, NO HOOKS, and no gobbledeegook.

Just a straight up, “hey, this guy downloaded this file today”, or “this chick doesn’t know she needs an account to download everything on my site, look at all those blocked attempts, thank you s2Member”.

I’m on my cyber hands and knees, begging for this request to be created and released immediately. I’m sure the billions of other s2Member-ers would agree that the lack of this seemingly basic feature is painful and emotionally scathing. I’m breathing into a paper bag right now, trying to reset my blood cell/oxygen levels, so I don’t pass out from being unintentionally in the dark about who is taking what, from where.

Sure, Google analytics has this AMAZING feature showing which downloads are most popular under ‘events’. But I WANT A CLOSER CONNECTION WITH S2MEMBER! Let’s be friends. Don’t make me to to Google analytics to fulfill what I desperately want from you.

So, in closing (which doesn’t make sense.. I never was very good at filibusters), we NEED a download tracker. The only way to understand what each of my members are doing, is to understand what they’re doing.

On bended knee… give me good news.

Love,
Jordan

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Sunday Jul 22nd, 2012 at 6:52 am #19929

Hi Jordan.

lol, that was a nice way to request a feature. :)

I’ll be honest with you: this is not going to be added to the current s2Member. All development is going to the new s2Member right now, the current one only gets attention if something needs fixing, not new features.

The new s2Member may already have designed into it features that would make possible part or all of what you need, but I can’t say for sure at this point.

Just to be sure I understand your request fully, what is it that you are asking exactly? To know who downloaded what files when?

Posted: Sunday Jul 22nd, 2012 at 7:09 am #19935

Thanks for the reply.

I guess I had no idea there was a whole new s2member being built. But wouldnt that just mean that we will be upgraded to the new version when it comes out? When will that new version arrive?

Yes, essentially I would love to know who downloads things and when. For icing on the cake it would be great to know if there were people trying to download who didnt have permission yet.

You mention of a new version has my ears perked up… whats the story on that one?

Thanks,
Jordan

Posted: Sunday Jul 22nd, 2012 at 7:36 am #19939

Ooooh, it’s just going to be very awesome. Too much for words, you’ll need to see it and play with it to see all the possibilities. :)

Can’t say too much about it, though, since it’s not finished. I don’t want to say something that doesn’t end up in the release.

Jason is very advanced in the development, the core is finished, he’s working on some missing classes. After that we’ll work on the UI and release a private beta to zap bugs and polish rough spots before the first public release.

Yes, essentially I would love to know who downloads things and when. For icing on the cake it would be great to know if there were people trying to download who didnt have permission yet.

Got ya. If I’m not mistaken, this may be possible. It’ll have plenty of logging, so this may be covered already. I can’t confirm it because I haven’t see it yet, but there’s hope.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.