latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

S2M Only Shortocde in Emails

Home Forums Community Forum S2M Only Shortocde in Emails

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Manni01 3 years, 4 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Saturday Sep 7th, 2013 at 6:48 am #59235
N. Lee
Username: grant

Did a search for this already no results found. I’m aware of vars being used in emails. But wondering if, particularly, S2M conditionals can be used?

If not, is this on the horizon?

I have to send out user/pass emails, BUT need to send different ones for free member vs paying member and not seeing this functionality.. unless I’m missing something.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Sunday Sep 8th, 2013 at 3:35 pm #59260
Manni01
Username: Manni01

Easiest would be to use a service like aweber or MC, and add your WP/S2 members to a different list depending on the product they buy. That way you can segment your emails by product (or any other variable). Look at s2member to Mailchimp or s2member to Aweber integration in the help.

I can’t see how s2members could do this without such a service, as they don’t send the emails (and it probably wouldn’t be a good idea, unless they also add an integration with gmail or Amazon SES, which I don’t think they offer at the moment).

An integration with Amazon SES and the ability to use S2member shortcodes when sending emails from WP would sure be a great idea.

Anyone knows if this is in the roadmap?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  Manni01.
Posted: Sunday Sep 8th, 2013 at 7:04 pm #59263
N. Lee
@Manni01

Yea I get what your saying, but I’m talking about something far more simple. S2M Pro already sends an email for new free subscriber and 2 for a paying member. The ONE email I need to have different text for is the initial “Welcome” to the site email. Right now that one email is sent to EVERY signup and free subscriber.

So one could still have that one outgoing welcome email, but if say S2M conditionals could be used that would allow admin to create email for just about ANY circumstance.

Posted: Sunday Sep 8th, 2013 at 7:14 pm #59264
Manni01

The email for new subscribers is the standard WP email. You can change the text content, but that’s it. s2members has little to do with it, and I don’t think it can process the content, but I might be completely wrong.

Mailchimp is free up to 2000 users and extremely simple to integrate with s2member. It’s worth a try.

Posted: Sunday Sep 8th, 2013 at 7:24 pm #59265
N. Lee

Not really sure how your install works.. but all emails come from S2M for me as of right now. New free subscriber and paying members.
At one time I did ‘turn off’ email notifications from S2M and used WP, but that doesn’t allow for key info from S2M that gets sent to paying members.

But I’ll check out MailChimp that may help.

Posted: Sunday Sep 8th, 2013 at 7:32 pm #59266
Manni01

I only have free members for the moment, so haven’t tested paid membership yet.
The email sent when a new free member is created (level 0) looks exactly like the email sent by WP on a website without S2 installed, so not sure how you identify it as coming from s2, but you might be right.

I’m only suggesting MC or Aweber because they can answer your problem right now.

I would be happy too to see s2 offering shortcodes in emails and integrating Amazon SES, that would be awesome as for many a third party email list service (like aweber and mailchimp) would not be necessary (especially if some help to design email templates was provided). Hopefully that will be supported soon.

Posted: Sunday Sep 8th, 2013 at 7:36 pm #59267
Manni01

By the way, I only noticed you said you needed to send user/pass emails. If you mean emails with the WP username/passwords, then forget mailchimp/aweber, as they don’t have the information for the password as far as I know.

Posted: Sunday Sep 8th, 2013 at 7:37 pm #59269
N. Lee
@Manni01

Yea, not so much JUST for user/pass, S2M already does fine with that. But in that Welocme email that ALL get, I do need to convey some specific Member only text vs Free Subscriber text.. ala conditionals.

Yea, for me, with S2M Pro under General Options -> Email Config, is the following which is basically a welcome email:

New User Email Message (click to customize)

This email is sent to all new Users/Members. It should always contain their Username/Password. In addition to this email, s2Member will also send new paying Customers a Signup Confirmation Email, which you can customize from your Dashboard, under: s2Member -› PayPal® Options. You may wish to customize these emails further, by providing details that are specifically geared to your site.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  N. Lee.
Posted: Sunday Sep 8th, 2013 at 8:02 pm #59271
Manni01

Yep, that’s the standard WP welcome email. s2 allows you to edit it to customize it, but it’s the standard WP welcome email, as far as I know (well, it looks just like it).

At the moment, what I do is I let WP/S2 send the email with the username/password, then S2 adds a subscriber to my MC/Aweber list (which is a different one depending on the type of membership), and then MC/Aweber sends the email specific to the kind of subscriber (after the user has confirmed as they need a double opt in).

This is also why an integration of shortcodes in s2members would be great, it would allow to send only ONE welcome email to the users, with all the info they need. Although I think we should have the option to ask for the user to confirm the email first (before sending the login info), to make sure they haven’t given a fake email address (or made a mistake typing a real one).

For me the ideal flow for free registration would be:
1) User gives username, email, etc and choses their password during registration.
2) An email is sent with a link to verify the email address
3a) If the user replies, the user is confirmed, a welcome email is sent and the user can access the website or
3b) If the user doesn’t reply, the user is deleted and the user can’t access the website.

This is what happens when joining most forums, and I find it the best balance between database integrity, security and user convenience.

Posted: Sunday Sep 8th, 2013 at 8:05 pm #59274
N. Lee
@Manni01

I just found this video:
http://www.s2member.com/videos/eN6pod12TdjxqihtvSecAUdFj8J4YVRX/

But you would need to know some PHP.. shortcode conditionals would be MUCH easier though.
It would have been helpful if the video showed HOW to use dynamic info and how to escape the variables like he says is possible. Now, have to spend even more time learning PHP dev vs just getting the job done.
Its fine, never can learn enough.. but when it comes to having to get something like this done time is of the essence.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  N. Lee.
Posted: Sunday Sep 8th, 2013 at 8:19 pm #59276
Manni01

Thanks, that’s really useful.

Doesn’t replace the need for a 3rd party list manager if you want to create emails (especially autoresponders) and segment further communication to your members easily, but it might address your need.

Yes you need php to achieve this but the video is very good and you have a clear sample code by the end.

Agreed that shortcodes would be easier, not sure if they are possible as it looks like this is the default WP email, so it can only access WP resources (including roles and capabilities), but probably not S2member specific ones.

Anyway thanks for the link, it might be handy someday and that’s a better solution for you than a 3rd party if all you need is additional info in the welcome email depending on the type of member.

If however you plan to communicate with your members regularly, I would still highly recommend looking at Aweber/Mailchimp integration.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.