latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

S2M vs WishList Member (advanced)

Home Forums Community Forum S2M vs WishList Member (advanced)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Andre Chaperon 4 years, 10 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Tuesday Feb 7th, 2012 at 7:30 am #4301

We use WishList Member on all our membership sites.

When it’s working, it’s great. But it’s a pretty complexed beast to get all setup. It just doesn’t “feel” robust at times.

If there is a script that “just works” with less moving parts, we’re all for that.

Anyhoo … I have 3 questions:

1. How does S2M stack up to WishList Member? (general Q)

2. The feature we need the most is “Sequential Upgrade” (in WLM). It automatically “upgrades” membership levels on a predefined interval.

Example:

We send out one new lesson per week:
…/lesson-1/
…/lesson-2/
…/lesson-3/

Etc, etc. But we don’t want members jumping forward. So each week, WLM automatically adds them to the new level – so that they can access that week’s content.

Can S2M do this?

3. I can see that S2M integrates with ClickBank. But will S2M automatically “disable” a members account if a cancelation and/or refund is issued?

Thanks in advance.

Andre

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Tuesday Feb 7th, 2012 at 11:02 am #4369
Eduan
Username: Eduan

1. You might wanna check the testimonials section for some testimonials from our past customers.

You might also be interested in this knowledge base article:
http://www.s2member.com/kb/why-is-s2member-better/

2. I believe, s2Member’s content dripping features will work for your purposes:
http://www.s2member.com/kb/intro-content-dripping-in-s2member/

3. If you check under WP Admin -> s2Member -> ClickBank® Options -> Automatic EOT Behavior (EOT = End Of Term), by default, s2Member will demote a paid Member to a Free Subscriber whenever their Subscription term has ended (i.e. expired), been cancelled, refunded, charged back to you, etc. s2Member demotes them to a Free Subscriber, so they will no longer have Member Level Access to your site, you will be able to configure if they should be demoted (convert them to a free subscriber) or if you want them to be deleted (erase their account completely).

Does this answer your questions?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by  Eduan. Reason: Added tags
Posted: Friday Feb 10th, 2012 at 9:04 am #4733

Eduán – I’m a new pro customer now. So thanks!

I do have one last question:

Can s2M protect (I’m guessing through php or .htaccess) a directory OUTSIDE of the WordPress space?

For example, we have WP installed on domain.com, but we need (want) to install a community script on a subdomain, like community.domain.com that is NOT part of WordPress.

Can s2M protect access to that subdomain based on the DB on the root domain?

(Fingers crossed…)

Andre

Posted: Friday Feb 10th, 2012 at 9:20 am #4734
Eduan
Username: Eduan

I’m pretty sure you can’t at this point, since s2Member is a plugin for WordPress.

But I’m gonna wait for a more experienced support rep in case they know otherwise.

Posted: Friday Feb 10th, 2012 at 9:38 am #4735

Well, I’m kinda hoping that perhaps a php call to s2M “may” be able to allow us to do this :)

… but I’ll wait to hear. Thanks Eduán.

Andre

Posted: Friday Feb 10th, 2012 at 1:54 pm #4756
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Andre,

As Eduan mentioned, s2Member is a WordPress plugin, so its reach is limited to the reach of WordPress. WordPress will only work from the domain where it was installed; it doesn’t extend its reach to sub-domains.

However, there are ways to check if the user is logged into WordPress from a PHP script outside of WordPress itself. From there, you’ll need to implement your own permissions checks, etc. (this could get really complicated). It may also be possible to include the necessary files in your external script to be able to utilize s2Member functions for checking permissions, but you’ll have to experiment.

For checking if a user is logged into WordPress from an external script, you should check the WordPress Support Forums. This thread in particular may be helpful: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/authenticate-wordpress-login-from-external-php-script

Posted: Tuesday Feb 14th, 2012 at 9:35 am #5027

Raam, thanks.

What about this, then:

domain.com is where s2M is installed, and is where all the customers enter the system.

But…

community.domain.com has WP/bbPress installed. But we need to restrict access to the forum from the main install on domain.com (cross domain access).

Is that possible?

Andre

Posted: Tuesday Feb 14th, 2012 at 8:25 pm #5117
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Andre,

No, that wouldn’t be possible. It has to do with how WordPress works, not s2Member. WordPress will only work on the domain it’s installed on and it doesn’t have access outside of that domain (except with multi-site installs; but even then, s2Member doesn’t protect content across more than one domain). Since s2Member is a WordPress plugin, s2Member only has access to what WordPress accesses.

Posted: Wednesday Feb 15th, 2012 at 3:32 am #5205

Roger that. Thanks Raam.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.