latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

s2Member and WP-Mail-SMTP

Home Forums Community Forum s2Member and WP-Mail-SMTP

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Jason (Lead Developer) 3 years, 11 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Wednesday Jan 23rd, 2013 at 5:37 pm #39241
Jim Royal
Username: jimroyal

I cannot get s2Member to work correctly with the WP-Mail-SMTP plugin, or any SMTP plugin for WordPress, for that matter.

I can successfully send test emails via SMTP, but the registration form does not send the email containing the user password. That email never arrives.

I have set up a plain WordPress site with the default theme and no plugins running aside from s2Member and WP-Mail-SMTP. No dice.

– WordPress 3.4.2
– s2Member Pro v130121
– WP-Mail-SMTP Version 0.9.1

Is there any way to log the activity of s2Member to see what’s going on?

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Thursday Jan 24th, 2013 at 4:33 am #39320
Staff Member

Thanks for reporting this important issue.

I can confirm that s2Member® is compatible with WP Mail SMTP. We actually use that plugin here at s2Member.com. If mail sent by s2Member is not coming through, I would double-check your FROM address. Mail sent through an external SMTP server normally requires a specific FROM address.

See: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› Email Configuration

Please let us know if problems persist :-)

Posted: Thursday Jan 24th, 2013 at 11:42 am #39419
Jim Royal
Username: jimroyal

Yes, that was it. The email address and name must be specified in both the SMTP plugin and in s2Member, and they must be identical.

It might be a good idea to provide the user some way to log the activity of s2Member so this kind of problem can be diagnosed.

Thanks very much.

Posted: Thursday Jan 24th, 2013 at 12:38 pm #39425
Joe Raciti
Username: jraciti1

I am having a similar issue that wasn’t resolved with the above recommendation. I have WP Mail SMTP configured correctly (I think) and the from email field and from name match those in the S2general settings. I selected “No: Do not use SMTP authentication.” on the WP Mail SMTP plugin (should I change that)? The first time I sent a test email it worked. The other times I tried it did not, although my email log indicates that the emails are being sent. At the bottom of the SMTP debugging output it reads:

SMTP -> ERROR: Failed to connect to server: Connection refused (111)

The following From address failed: ****@gmail.com

(I put the asterisks there).

– Joe

Posted: Friday Jan 25th, 2013 at 7:34 pm #39569
Staff Member
@Joe Raciti

Please see this article about SMTP server configuration for GMail.
http://email.about.com/od/accessinggmail/f/Gmail_SMTP_Settings.htm

Posted: Friday Jan 25th, 2013 at 8:43 pm #39585
Joe Raciti

Hi Jason,

Thank you for getting back to me. I talked to customer support through Go Daddy and they told me that I couldn’t send mail from my site using a free email service. We changed the from email to the email associated with my domain name, changed the SMTP Host to “relay-hosting.secureserver.net” and the port to 25 (no encryption or authentication). When I sent a test email to my domain email, I received a forwarded email to my gmail inbox and the email log registered the delivery. However, my email log isn’t registering any outgoing emails anymore (even though some are sending) and when members purchase a PayPal membership they are being redirected to a splash page on my site that says something like:

JoeRaciti.com says:

you MUST check your email before proceeding

if you have trouble, contact customer support.

I read on the forum that the redirct page should not have any text on it. I checked my PalPal information and it all appears to be correct. I rebuilt the PayPal buttons but the problem persists. I downloaded a server checker script that I found in another thread and ran that by going to the url in a browser. I pasted the output into a notepad file which can be found here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B71IVUXzSG2JVXBZVEs5b1BkSk0/edit

Thank you.

Posted: Saturday Jan 26th, 2013 at 1:59 am #39627
Staff Member

Thanks for the follow-up :-)

I read on the forum that the redirct page should not have any text on it. I checked my PalPal information and it all appears to be correct. I rebuilt the PayPal buttons but the problem persists.

I’m sorry. What problem exactly? What is the expected outcome?
Is there a problem related specifically to s2Member here?

Note. This URL leads to a PHP script file, and not to any output generated by a server scan.
See: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B71IVUXzSG2JVXBZVEs5b1BkSk0/edit

If you would like to test your server, please use the official server scanner that we offer.
Please download via this linke: http://www.s2member.com/r/server-check-tool/
Unzip & upload to your server — then open in a browser.
Posted: Saturday Jan 26th, 2013 at 9:21 am #39685
Joe Raciti

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your response. The problem is that when people are paying for a membership to my site using the PayPal buttons generated by s2member they are being sent to PayPal and then, after purchase, are never receiving login details. I mentioned the splash page because I read in another s2member thread that users should be seeing a blank screen when they are returning from PayPal after purchase instead of text. Perhaps that is not true. Do you think this is a PayPal problem? It might also be worth noting that this problem has only emerged in the last month or two. Before that, everything was working perfectly.

Posted: Wednesday Jan 30th, 2013 at 2:55 am #39981
Staff Member

Thanks for the follow-up :-)

I mentioned the splash page because I read in another s2member thread that users should be seeing a blank screen when they are returning from PayPal after purchase instead of text. Perhaps that is not true. Do you think this is a PayPal problem?

A blank screen after checkout would not be the expected outcome. Customers should be greeted by your Auto-Return handler. s2Member comes with a default Thank-You page for PayPal’s Auto-Return feature. The customer should either be instructed to register, or to await email confirmation; depending on the type of purchase.

Please see: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Options -› PayPal® PDT/Auto-Retun Integration

It sounds like you may have a conflicting plugin somewhere, or a possible configuration issue. I can confirm this does not occur in a default installation of WordPress® together with s2Member®. Tested today on a clean installation of WordPress® running no other plugins and a default WP theme. Running the latest versions of both WordPress® and s2Member®.

If problems persist, please setup a test installation and try to reproduce the issue there. If you can reproduce this on a clean installation of WordPress®, we’ll be happy to take a closer look for you. Please see this article for some clarification about the scope of our support services.

s2Member® » Support Policy

Also. Please note that s2Member can be instructed to keep logs of it’s communication with PayPal®, so that you can take a closer look at what’s going on behind-the-scene. Please see: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Options -› Account Details -› Logging
Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.