latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

s2member conflicting with Contact Form 7

Home Forums Community Forum s2member conflicting with Contact Form 7

This topic contains 19 replies, has 4 voices. Last updated by  Pierre Barnard 3 years, 3 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Sunday Sep 8th, 2013 at 11:40 pm #59277

I’ve been using contact form 7 on my website for a while, and since installing s2member it no longer works – if I click “send” then the contact form just shows a “loading” graphic and doesn’t do anything. If I deactivate s2member it works again.

I’ve seen a number of threads where Contact Form 7 is recommended for use with s2member – has anybody exerienced this issue and been able to resolve it? Or is there an alternative contact form I should try? (preferably free, just for a basic “contact us” page).

(contact form 7 v3.5.2, s2Member® Pro v130731)

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Monday Sep 9th, 2013 at 5:54 am #59293
Manni01
Username: Manni01

Have you modified the default form in any way?

I use contact form 7 on my website with s32member with the default form and it works fine (just tested it).

Here is the default code in case you’d like to test it:

<p>Your Name (required)<br />
    [text* your-name] </p>

<p>Your Email (required)<br />
    [email* your-email] </p>

<p>Subject<br />
    [text your-subject] </p>

<p>Your Message<br />
    [textarea your-message] </p>

<p>Input this code: [captchac captcha-118 size:l fg:#00ff00 bg:#ffffff]<br />

[captchar captcha-118 4/4]  </p>

<p>[submit "Send"]</p>

Also how are you calling the form?

I checked on my page and I’m using the “old” way, like this:

[contact-form 1 "Contact form 1"]

If you’re using the new way:

[contact-form-7 id="672" title="Contact form 1"]

you might want to give the old way a try.

You might also want to uninstall/reinstall the contact7 plugin to see if it works with the default settings.

It definitely works here (using genesis / prose in case that makes a difference)

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  Manni01.
Posted: Monday Sep 9th, 2013 at 5:56 pm #59327

Hi guys,

Very interested in changing S2 registration, login and profile forms. I have really been struggling to customize these.

Does CF7 offer an alternative? Is it worth checking out?

Regards

Posted: Monday Sep 9th, 2013 at 6:00 pm #59328
Manni01

The pro version of s2members offers a customizable pro form for registration. I haven’t tested it yet though.

Posted: Tuesday Sep 10th, 2013 at 2:04 am #59374

Thanks Manni,

I have used it and customized it to a degree…see my site: http://greaterchange.co.za/wp/register/

It is a normal php page so it can be modified with a bit of theme file CSS etc.

My problem is that the profile page, once logged in, is NOT a normal page, it looks like its being called through a function without much parameters available. So you end up with a registration form which looks way different than a profile form. Still trying to figure it out.

Another alternative is to keep both theses pages UN-customized and use them as is….

Real frustrating.

Posted: Tuesday Sep 10th, 2013 at 3:55 am #59382
Manni01

Thanks, I’m about to purchase the pro version so I’m going to have a look. In the documentation they do say the pro form is only available for the registration page. It might be a good idea to request its extension to other pages, but you might want to do this in a separate thread as it’ a bit OT here as I don’t think CF7 would be the right tool for this.

If you have access to the php (or html) source code, you could try using something like the my shortcodes plugin, which alllows you to easily create shortcodes (from html/php) and then easily customize their style.

I think Magic Box Pro also allows html code as input (on top of direct aweber and mailchimp integration) but I’m not sure it would work with registration/profile pages., and the number of styles is more limited.

If you find somewhere some customized registration/profile pages with html or php code, or documentation on how to create the code, I’m very interested in the source as I’d like to customize these pages too.

Posted: Tuesday Sep 10th, 2013 at 4:06 am #59384

Will definitely keep you updated. I did buy the PRO version, but not sure if it was the right decision. From the reviews I read, I am kinda dissapointed in the support received. I have logged two tickets which has not been attended to in 3-4 days.

Not sure if any other Membership plugins are any better.. I guess you never know until you actually buy it.

Most of the time, I see the support people just saying…sorry we dont help with custom code…very frustrating.

Please keep me posted as well on any findings.

Posted: Tuesday Sep 10th, 2013 at 4:26 am #59386
Manni01

If you expect help from support about custom code, I think your expectations are not right.

They clearly say in their support policy here http://www.s2member.com/support/ that they have to concentrate on resolving bugs and technical issues before they can help customization, and they’ll only help if they have the time (and only if it’s no more than a couple of lines of code).

As you can see exactly what’s available in the free version before you buy the pro, it’s not as if you had to buy blind like with the other solutions.

If you need custom design, you need to brush up your coding skills or hire someone to do it for you.
It’s not very expensive, they recommend jobs.wordpress.net but you could also try some other places.

Most other membership plugins either do not offer customization at all (beyond the use of other plugins), or also ask you to pay for it, but you don’t have the choice regarding who to pay, or how much, because their solution is neither open source, nor as flexible as s2members. They basically hold you hostage.

To me the s2member support policy seems very fair. Think about the value they give away for free, and compare the price of the pro version to most membership plugins around.

That way, users with the skills don’t have to pay for something they don’t need, the devs can concentrate on supporting users for s2member related technical issues and on improving the product with new features, and users without the skills need to pay a bit more to a third if they need some custom design.

To me, it feels fair on everyone. I’d much rather have it that way than not having a fantastically powerful free version, and/or having to pay more for the pro version.

By the way, I have just bought the multisite pro version, even though I don’t really need the extra features right now, just to support them.

Posted: Tuesday Sep 10th, 2013 at 4:44 am #59388

I guess my expectation was wrong then.

Well, I spent alot of money on PRO (in my country as the currency is weak). I will have to make it work somehow.

Please let me know if you figure out how to customize the registration form button and sidepanel loginbox button, like they have done on their site. As you said my CSS knowledge is kinda weak.

Posted: Tuesday Sep 10th, 2013 at 4:54 am #59390
Manni01

I’m sure your CSS knowledge is better than mine, which is non-existent for now:)

When I said not expensive, I meant the kind of customisation that you could get for a few gigs on fiverr, so worth a try! Just go to fiverr.com and search for “wordpress”, you’ll see what I mean. Jut make sure you look at the people’s ratings before you hire someone, as it’s not the route recommended by s2member, but if you have little money available it might be an option.

Good luck!

Posted: Tuesday Sep 10th, 2013 at 5:10 am #59391

Glad to hear someone else is in the same boat as me with CSS!

This fiverr.com looks real cool! Didnt even know it existed. So for $5 these guys will code what you want…surely there must be a limit to the work, or it should be agreed upon before hand, I assume there is some kinds of quote-for-work option…

Have you used them before?

Posted: Tuesday Sep 10th, 2013 at 5:49 am #59392
Manni01

$5 if the gig unit, so it’s from $5, but they might ask for more than one gig depending on the complexity of the job.
No, I’ve never used them for wordpress coding as I’ve been able to do what I needed myself until now.
I would personally first go to the s2member recommended route (jobs.wordpress.net ), describe what I need precisely, and see what developpers bids are. If you can afford that, go that way. If it’s too expensive for you, you have a realistic frame of reference before approaching someone at fiverr. You are also more likely to find developers who already know s2member inside out at jobs.worddpress.net than at Fiverr.

Remember that usually, you get what you pay for…

Apologies to the OP for the OT discussion!

Posted: Tuesday Sep 10th, 2013 at 8:30 am #59394

Thanks Manni01 for those suggestions. From what you are saying I’m using the “new” way, ie.
[contact-form-7 id=”413″ title=”Contact”]

I tried to use the shortcode you listed for the “old” way, but that just gave an error. Possibly you are running an oder version of the plugin than I am.

I did try upgrading to the most recent version – I didn’t uninstall/reinstall so I could try that, but am not optimistic. I haven’t made any modifications to the contact form plugin and it works fine if the s2member plugin is disabled…

Posted: Tuesday Sep 10th, 2013 at 9:33 am #59397
Manni01

No, I’m using the latest version of CF7 too (3.5.2) as I usually keep all my plugins up to date.

I probably started using it when the “old” way was the only way, but it has been working fine ever since.

I guess that the 1 in the old way refers to the form number.

Uninstalling/reinstalling might help if you make sure all the settings are back to default.

There might be a conflict with your theme which is only present when you activate s2member.

Did you try keeping s2member enabled but selecting a temporary default theme and disabling all the other plugins?

If it then works, you can try re-enabling each plugin one by one until you find the one that conflicts with both s2member and contact form 7.

I use genesis with the two different themes on two different websites and contact form 7 works on both (but s2member is only installed on one).

Posted: Tuesday Sep 10th, 2013 at 12:58 pm #59403
N. Lee
Username: grant
@barnarp

In reference to the reg form, and frankly all of S2M even Contact 7 forms and logins.. this may help. I use the plugin “Theme My Login” http://wordpress.org/plugins/theme-my-login/

The very first feature of it says:
Your registration, log in, and password recovery pages will all match the rest of your website

It basically automatically uses your themes CSS.

Also you can make any specific CSS adjustments you want, and save them in a custom.css file that way should you update S2M, Contact 7, etc. ur CSS changes are still intact.

Theme my login ALSO has some emailing options too!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  N. Lee.
Posted: Tuesday Sep 10th, 2013 at 1:42 pm #59406
Manni01

Wow, thanks a lot for that, I’ve been looking for a way to get the proper registration flow (register, verify email, send registration info) for ages, and it does it very well. The fact that it uses the theme’s css makes it even nicer.

Just make sure you don’t enable the security features, as they will probably interfere with the s2member IP restriction features.

I’ve just configured it and it does exactly want I want. The login/register widget is also very flexible as you can decide which link you want to enable or not.

Apologies to the OP again for the “noise”, I think if we have anything to add which is not directly connected to the issue with CF7 we should open a new thread and post a link here so that we don’t pollute this thread any further.

Posted: Tuesday Sep 10th, 2013 at 1:43 pm #59407
N. Lee
Username: grant
@Manni01

agreed

Posted: Tuesday Sep 10th, 2013 at 3:08 pm #59409

Thanks , sounds great, will check it out.

Posted: Thursday Sep 12th, 2013 at 9:12 am #59492

FYI, it looks like I’ve managed to fix the problem.

With debug on I’ve been getting a notice: Undefined variable: cache_needs_updating in C:\inetpub\testwebsite2\wp-content\plugins\s2member\includes\classes\cache.inc.php on line 94

I was told this was a known issue but wouldn’t cause any problems, BUT, when I fixed this using the information in this post: http://www.s2member.com/forums/topic/please-fix-cache-inc-php-on-line-97/#post-214 my contact form is now working perfectly again :)

Posted: Thursday Sep 12th, 2013 at 10:01 am #59493

Hey guys,

Just installed CF7. I guess its as simple as it gets, what I mean is, have you guys been able to change any formatting (CSS) to suite you site?

Luckily, it seems to work fine with S2.

I installed it here:

http://greaterchange.co.za/wp/contact-us/

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.