latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

S2Member PRO but NOT Paypal PRO?

Home Forums Community Forum S2Member PRO but NOT Paypal PRO?

This topic contains 19 replies, has 5 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years, 6 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Tuesday Jun 12th, 2012 at 1:05 pm #16271

We’re using S2Member PRO, but, for various reasons, we can only use Paypal (not Paypal PRO).

It seems that there is a lot of S2member Pro functionality that requires Paypal PRO.

Examples:

Creating a custom registration page.
Using Coupon codes.
All the Paypal Pro Forms capabilities (obviously).
Anything else?

Is this correct?

-Jason

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Tuesday Jun 12th, 2012 at 8:07 pm #16302
Stuart Giles
Username: Juggy69

Correct

You need a Paypal pro acount for using coupons and on site registration

You can use standard paypal to register but it has a nicer “Feel” if everything is done from your site

Hope this helps

Posted: Wednesday Jun 13th, 2012 at 9:13 am #16378
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Tuhin,

s2Member Pro does not require PayPal Pro. Please see the following from Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Pro Forms -› Quick Start Guide:

*PayPal® Pro is NOT Absolutely Required* s2Member is very flexible. It is now possible to integrate Pro Forms without a PayPal® Pro account, whereby the enhanced Form Shortcodes that s2Member provides can be integrated ONLY with PayPal® Express Checkout. In other words, if you get declined for PayPal® Pro service, you can still use s2Member Pro Forms. Ask PayPal® to activate Express Checkout for you. ( it’s free ). Once Express Checkout is enabled, you will have access to your PayPal® API Credentials. Log into your PayPal® account, and navigate to Profile -> API Access (or Request API Credentials). You’ll choose ( Request API Signature ). Now … here is the tricky part; whenever you generate a Pro Form Shortcode with s2Member, be sure to change accept=”paypal,visa,mastercard,amex,discover,maestro,solo” to just accept=”paypal”; thereby excluding the on-site credit card processing functionality; which is available only with PayPal® Pro.

Posted: Wednesday Jun 13th, 2012 at 5:08 pm #16400

Thanks for the response, Raam.

If we follow those steps, do we get Coupon Code functionality and the
custom registration page?

Also, does this mean that a customer CANNOT pay with a credit card at checkout time?

J

Posted: Thursday Jun 14th, 2012 at 7:35 am #16444

Right, the coupons would still be available even if you use PayPal Express Checkout and not PayPal Pro. The coupons are a pro-form feature, so the payment method doesn’t affect it.

You can now use Express Checkout without having the user be required to login to a PayPal account to pay. http://www.s2member.com/changelog/#s2-changes-v120608

(s2Member Pro) PayPal® Express Checkout. This release enables “PayPal Account Optional” for PayPal® Express Checkout, via s2Member Pro Forms. In other words, this release makes the PayPal® Express Checkout option through Pro Forms, behave more like a standard PayPal® Button; where a customer is not always required to have a PayPal® account during checkout. This functionality is enabled automatically, there’s nothing you need to change in your s2Member® integration. However, we do suggest that you turn “PayPal Account Optional” (on) inside your PayPal® account.

I hope that helps. :)

Posted: Thursday Jun 14th, 2012 at 12:41 pm #16488

In “Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Pro Forms -› Quick Start Guide” it says:

*PayPal® Pro is NOT Absolutely Required* s2Member is very flexible. It is now possible to integrate Pro Forms without a PayPal® Pro account, whereby the enhanced Form Shortcodes that s2Member provides can be integrated ONLY with PayPal® Express Checkout. In other words, if you get declined for PayPal® Pro service, you can still use s2Member Pro Forms. Ask PayPal® to activate Express Checkout for you. ( it’s free )…….”

I called Paypal and they said that, with a Business Standard Paypal account, you don’t have to “turn on”
Express Checkout. It’s already there and working. Why does S2member’s online documentation (above)
say that Paypal has to turn it on for you?

J

Posted: Friday Jun 15th, 2012 at 6:37 am #16561

That may have been the case when the documentation was written over two years ago, and PayPal changed it sinced then.

Thanks for the heads up, I’ll inform Jason. :)

Posted: Friday Jun 15th, 2012 at 8:17 pm #16629

Here’s what Jason replied:

Yea, most PP accounts have Express Checkout enabled already. However, there are some older/existing accounts that I’ve seen, which do not yet, and it must be requested.

If you have the ability to obtain your API Credentials inside your PayPal account, you have Express Checkout. If you don’t, you’ll have to request that it be enabled for you.

I’m going to remove these instructions in a future release, because they do cause unnecessary confusion more most site owners.

Posted: Saturday Jun 16th, 2012 at 3:18 pm #16691

This is still confusing to me. I have S2Member Pro, but not Paypal Pro. I am able to access my API credentials, so I understand I have the PayPal Express Checkout enabled.

Can I use the Pro Form as seen here?: http://storybook.org/family-club-signup/

And can I remove the credit card images all together and just have a PayPal button visible?

Also, I want to change the Consolas/Courier font style at the top, where the price and terms are listed, but I can’t seem to find the associated css file to edit?

Thanks.

Posted: Monday Jun 18th, 2012 at 1:50 pm #16779

In your Quick Start guide for Paypal forms, it says:

If you decide NOT to acquire a PayPal® Pro account, and instead integrate ONLY with PayPal® Express Checkout, please understand the following limitation. PayPal® Express Checkout is intended to facilitate payments for PayPal® account owners and/or Customers willing to signup for PayPal® during checkout. It is NOT possible for a Customer to go through PayPal® Express Checkout without having and/or acquiring a PayPal® account, regardless of the transaction type ( i.e. Buy Now functionality is no exception to this rule ).

That makes no sense. I talked to Paypal and they said that standard business accounts can process credit
cards without the user having, or signing up for, a Paypal account. My sandbox testing confirms that.
Can you please clarify?

Using the Sandbox, I am able to buy something using just a credit card (and not having a paypal account or signing up for one).

Here’s what I’m seeing with Pro Forms:

My testing only pertains to BN (Buy Now) transactions.

If I try to accept all credit cards and Paypal using the Pro Form, I’ll
get an error during checkout with an error like “unsupported merchant.”

As mentioned above I have to edit
the pro form shortcode,
changing this:
accept=”paypal,visa,mastercard,amex,discover,maestro,solo”
to just:
accept=”paypal”

Once I do that, the user sees this in the pro form:

http://i.imgur.com/CeElL.jpg

So they can only accept Paypal at this point.

HOWEVER, once they go to Paypal, they see this:

http://i.imgur.com/zBvt9.jpg

So they can checkout without having a Paypal account.

This seems potentially confusing to the user if they want to checkout without using Paypal.

Posted: Monday Jun 18th, 2012 at 2:53 pm #16788

It seems to me what is confusing is the visible “inactive” credit card icons: http://i.imgur.com/CeElL.jpg

I would like to be able to remove those credit card icons altogether and just have the PayPal button, does anyone know how to do that?

Also, does anyone know where the css file is for this page: http://storybook.org/family-club-signup/
I can’t seem to be able to edit the price point subtext near the top of the page?

Thanks.

Posted: Monday Jun 18th, 2012 at 5:55 pm #16791

This thread seems to have info on customizing the PayPal Pro Forms:
http://www.primothemes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14338&p=29943

Posted: Tuesday Jun 19th, 2012 at 6:07 am #16863

Can I use the Pro Form as seen here?: http://storybook.org/family-club-signup/

Yes.

And can I remove the credit card images all together and just have a PayPal button visible?

You can hide them with CSS. Use Firebug to help you see their exact ID (e.g. [hilite mono]label.s2member-pro-paypal-form-card-type-maestro-label[/hilite]) and style them it with [hilite code]display: none;[/hilite].

Also, I want to change the Consolas/Courier font style at the top, where the price and terms are listed, but I can’t seem to find the associated css file to edit?

You don’t need to edit the s2Member CSS file, you can style from your own CSS file. The selector would be: [hilite mono]div.s2member-pro-paypal-form-description-div[/hilite].

Posted: Tuesday Jun 19th, 2012 at 6:15 am #16864

That makes no sense. I talked to Paypal and they said that standard business accounts can process credit
cards without the user having, or signing up for, a Paypal account. My sandbox testing confirms that.
Can you please clarify?

That documentation needs to be updated now that the latest release allows Express Checkout to not require the user to login to PayPal, which I mentioned above. Sorry about that confusion, we’ll update the docs soon.

Once I do that, the user sees this in the pro form:
http://i.imgur.com/CeElL.jpg
So they can only accept Paypal at this point.
HOWEVER, once they go to Paypal, they see this:
http://i.imgur.com/zBvt9.jpg
So they can checkout without having a Paypal account.
This seems potentially confusing to the user if they want to checkout without using Paypal.

That’s true. You could hide the whole section to choose the payment menthod in the pro-form, to avoid this confusion. Try this in your CSS file:

[hilite code]s2member-pro-paypal-checkout-form-billing-method-section {display: none;}[/hilite]

Posted: Tuesday Jun 19th, 2012 at 6:23 pm #16930

Cristián, thanks the hiding method you described worked like a charm!

I wasn’t able to apply the method to the Consolas font as you described. I noticed that Firebug had the div as, “div.s2member-pro-paypal-checkout-form-description-div”, but that didn’t have an effect either.

I also tried use the same approach to moving the “Checking out with PayPal” button to the left side of the page, but I didn’t have any luck. Any assist here is appreciated.

Thanks,
-Steven

Posted: Wednesday Jun 20th, 2012 at 7:23 am #16993

Cristián, thanks the hiding method you described worked like a charm!

Cool. :)

I wasn’t able to apply the method to the Consolas font as you described. I noticed that Firebug had the div as, “div.s2member-pro-paypal-checkout-form-description-div”, but that didn’t have an effect either.

In your theme’s style.css, add [hilite mono]!important[/hilite] to your style so it overrides s2Member’s. I did it with Firebug and changed the font, here’s a screenshot:

Click to enlarge

Posted: Wednesday Jun 20th, 2012 at 4:29 pm #17036

Right on Cristián, the !important tag did the trick!

I’m still left with the bugger of moving the PayPal button to left, here’s what I have tried in my theme’s css:

label.s2member-pro-paypal-checkout-submit {
float:left!important;
}

What am I missing?

Thanks,
-Steven

Posted: Thursday Jun 21st, 2012 at 7:54 am #17106

In your CSS file, try this:

[hilite pre_code]
div.s2member-pro-paypal-form-submission-section > div.s2member-pro-paypal-form-submit-div {float: left !important;}
[/hilite]
Posted: Thursday Jun 21st, 2012 at 2:34 pm #17146

Thanks for the great support Cristián, you nailed it again!

Posted: Friday Jun 22nd, 2012 at 7:22 am #17182

Glad I could help. :)

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.