latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

SAFELY split one account into two?

Home Forums Community Forum SAFELY split one account into two?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years, 4 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Friday Sep 7th, 2012 at 5:06 pm #24569
Rebecca
Username: rebeccaz

To start with, this is not Rebecca – I am Jack Lyness (jack@lyness.com) and this begins to get to the issue I raise here.

This is Rebecca’s account. She helped develop the site http://www.MadHedgeFundTrader.com. I now administer that site, while Rebecca has other Web enterprises for which she also (or should I say, most importantly) uses this account. She has been graciously sharing this account with us during my transition.

It has come time for us at http://www.MadHedgeFundTrader.com to get our own paid S2Member account. But we have thousands of subscribers successfully using our blog, (at a very high price, I might add, warranting great respect) for whom I want this transition to be seamless – invisible, in fact. I believe the only thing that should change is how you regard us as a customer (you know, the type who’s “always right”?) The only difference might be that the new account would be for a single site. Nothing about the function of the site or our S2Member account functions should change.

Can someone instruct me on how to go through this process, and “hold my hand” or at least look over my shoulder as we do?

(I’m going to leave the notification button below checked so Rebecca should get a notification of this when you reply, and she can weigh in herself and give her blessing, and I suspect, eager agreement.)

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Sep 7th, 2012 at 5:18 pm #24572
Eduan
Username: Eduan

Hello Jack,

so if I understood correctly, you want to change the account that s2Member uses in other words? So that it stops using Rebecca’s and starts using yours. Is this correct?

Posted: Friday Sep 7th, 2012 at 5:30 pm #24576
Rebecca

I think that would probably be the second step, after we set up our own account. Yes.

But it must be SEAMLESS – I can’t stress that enough.

Posted: Friday Sep 7th, 2012 at 5:32 pm #24577
Rebecca

Note, we also use aWeber extensively, so that interface would also have to be taken into account. Several other 3rd party apps, but I’m not sure any of them would be tied so directly to S2Member.

Posted: Friday Sep 7th, 2012 at 6:16 pm #24579
Eduan

Hello Jack,

Well it’s actually quite simple, you don’t have to modify anything in s2Meber (although I do recommend you turn deactivation safeguards on Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› Deactivation Safeguards).

Simply buy a new license, that’s at your name, and in the main website field simply enter your website (i.e. http://www.madhedgefundtrader.com/).

It’s really that easy. When you want to upgrade s2Member pro, simply enter the username and password for that account, and then s2member will use that new account.

Your members won’t notice a thing, but when upgrading s2Member, remember to always update the pro version also, otherwise your site will break, since it doesn’t have s2Member pro when it requires it. To update the pro version automatically, simply go to the general options page of s2Member, and at the top you’ll be asked for login info, make sure it’s the same info as the one for the new account you will buy.

Hope this helps. :)

Posted: Saturday Sep 8th, 2012 at 7:55 am #24624

Hi Jack.

Eduán’s reply is correct. Your site won’t be changed at all by the change of license, since it doesn’t check it. You only need the access to get the s2Member Pro download in order to update your installation, but that can be from either account.

It’s great that you’re getting your own license, that gives you full control. Go to https://www.s2member.com/single-site-co/?s2-ssl=yes to get your Single Site license. If you have your own s2member.com account, please login to it first, if not you can create your new account right there.

I’m sure Rebecca will tell you about the right way to update s2Member and s2Member Pro when new releases are available, so you don’t have any downtimes, but here are a couple of articles on installation/update:

s2Member® » Framework » Install/Upgrade Instructions
s2Member® » Pro » Install/Upgrade Instructions

And remember to always have a up-to-date backup of your site as a safety net.

I hope that helps. :)

Posted: Sunday Sep 9th, 2012 at 2:06 am #24681
Rebecca

Excellent advice – both of you. Thanks very much. Will probably do this early next week. If I can alert you ahead of time and get your confirmation so I know you are standing by “just in case,” it will go a long way to give me to confidence to do this with no problems! Thanks again.

Posted: Sunday Sep 9th, 2012 at 8:52 am #24688
Eduan

No problem Jack. Glad I was able to help. :)

No problem if you confirm first, just remember I just woke up at this hour. ;)

Posted: Monday Sep 10th, 2012 at 7:53 am #24736

I’m checking the forums at least once every day, too, so I’ll help with anything I can if you have a question.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.