latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Secured File Folder really safe?

Home Forums Community Forum Secured File Folder really safe?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  adam chen 4 years, 10 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Friday Feb 17th, 2012 at 11:49 am #5497
adam chen
Username: adam1987

Hello, guys:

I wonder is the secured folder that inside the theme folder on the server for secured file download with key, really secured? I mean secured to what degree? Is it encrpted once someone unauthorized try to download it? Because I want to use its secured download function and may upload certain sensitive documents to the folder for download available for only specific user.
btw, the location is /wp-content/plugins/s2member-files, if that clear my question a bit more :)
Thank You

• This topic was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by  adam chen.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Wednesday Feb 22nd, 2012 at 6:11 am #5934
Karen Banting
Username: karban

Hi Adam, I was wondering the same.
I took a look, and the folder is protected by a htaccess file, and the htaccess file has a lot of code which seems like it only permits access via S2 membership….. I think therefore it should be pretty safe in so far as non-members being able to access it, but maybe the admin or someone else here can confirm…..

I’d also like to know whether the links are disguised, as a further safety method…?

Also, I think you could create “conditional fields” for accessing your sensitive downloads, and then only members with those conditional fields added to their memberships could get access to them….. hope this helps you.
Regards, Karen

Posted: Wednesday Feb 22nd, 2012 at 11:28 am #5948
DrByte
Username: DrByte

Hello,

It depends how you address your links. Are you talking about zip, rar text files or media like music and videos?

There are lots of factors when it comes to encrypted links. Overall, S3m does a good job protecting them.

You might want to look at Amazon (AWS) S3 services too. They offer an extra layer of protection.

Sam

Posted: Wednesday Feb 22nd, 2012 at 11:35 am #5951
adam chen

Hi Sam:

I am more looking into simply pdf, words, excel, or zip file.

Are they really that secured in term of access? I wonder can anyone break into the files just by cracking the site or the one has to break into the server?

THank YOu

Posted: Wednesday Feb 22nd, 2012 at 11:58 am #5956
DrByte
Username: DrByte

HI

Your files are secured till you give access (view/download) to. Having said that, server security I suppose is what you need to look at. If your sever (hosting) is not secured, then you leave hackers gateways to access your root site, therefore reading your files.

Sam

Posted: Wednesday Feb 22nd, 2012 at 12:35 pm #5967
adam chen

Thanks, because I was wondering about the fact that all files in that folder is not really encrypted, are they? Can we do that to the folder with S2member ? because I am kind of unclear of “secured” term, I feel secured does not mean its encrypted, is that right?

Posted: Wednesday Feb 22nd, 2012 at 12:35 pm #5968
adam chen

It raised my concern because what happened to PS3 site’s hacking while everyone’s info was stolen…yea.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.