latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Selective Expiration of custom capabilities

Home Forums Community Forum Selective Expiration of custom capabilities

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Andrew Lian 3 years, 5 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Thursday Jul 4th, 2013 at 1:43 am #52982
Andrew Lian
Username: mlapl1

Hello and congratulations on a wonderful plugin.

Here is my question.

I create a paypal button which enrolls a member as Level 1 with Custom_Capability Video. The membership expires in 21 days.

A few days later, the SAME member enrolls as a Level 1 member with Custom_Capability PDF. The membership expires in 14 days.

I understand that the NEW custom capability (PDF) is added to the existing Custom Capabilities for that user. The user therefore now has 2 capabilities: Video (expiring 21 days from date of subscription, and PDF (expiring 14 days from date of subscription – but before Video).

What happens in 14 days? Does Custom Capability PDF get removed from the list of capabilities and Video stays? Is the entire membership expired (i.e. ALL custom capabilities are removed)? Does the PDF capability remain until the expiry of the Video (21-day) capability?

What I would like is to control access through custom capabilities and have custom capabilities added and removed at will by S2members.

Any information would be gladly received.

Andrew

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Jul 5th, 2013 at 11:21 am #53054
Eduan
Username: Eduan

Hello Andrew,

few days later, the SAME member enrolls as a Level 1 member with Custom_Capability PDF. The membership expires in 14 days.

OK first there’s a flaw with this theory. If the user is already level 1 he can’t pay for level 1 again just for a custom capability. He has to upgrade or downgrade his level in order to be able to change his custom capabilities.

However, if you have the pro version you can modify custom capaiblities only without needing to modify the user’s level in the same process.

I understand that the NEW custom capability (PDF) is added to the existing Custom Capabilities for that user. The user therefore now has 2 capabilities: Video (expiring 21 days from date of subscription, and PDF (expiring 14 days from date of subscription – but before Video).

What happens in 14 days? Does Custom Capability PDF get removed from the list of capabilities and Video stays? Is the entire membership expired (i.e. ALL custom capabilities are removed)? Does the PDF capability remain until the expiry of the Video (21-day) capability?

I’m not sure myself, this is a good question. I’ll have to ask Jason. :)

– Eduan

Posted: Friday Jul 5th, 2013 at 5:43 pm #53059
Andrew Lian

Thank you very much Eduan. Very useful. I look forward to learning more.

Andrew

Posted: Monday Jul 15th, 2013 at 7:17 am #53459
Andrew Lian

Hello Eduan (and other forum members),

My impression is that the free version of S2member I am running actually does allow an upgrade through the addition of a custom capability not through a level increase (although I have not had much experience with the plugin – my memory of this is that you get a message congratulating you on the upgrade – I have been doing something else recently).

Having said that… and assuming that the upgrade through additional capabilities does in fact work as I said (even if only in the paying version) I still wonder what happens if a membership designed to last for 21 days is purchased first. Soon after, it has a capability added which is only meant to last for 14 days. My hope is that the 14-day capability is removed at the expiry of the 14 days and that the balance of the 21-day membership remains intact until the 21 days for the first membership have elapsed.

I really would appreciate it if someone could tell me the answer.

Cheers
Andrew

Posted: Tuesday Jul 16th, 2013 at 6:10 am #53492
cassel
Username: cassel

I think there is a way to do it with a third party hack. It sounds like something that the “ccap clock timer” could do (I have not tried it myself but it is worth checking).

This hack was done by Krum and you can read about it here:
http://krumch.com/2012/11/06/kc-s2member-ccap-clock-timer//?ap_id=Cassel

Like I said, I am not certain but I think you can use the ccaps and have the content disappear after a certain period, even if the user has the specific ccap.

Posted: Monday Jul 22nd, 2013 at 2:13 am #53796
Andrew Lian

Hello – thanks for the answer. I did look at the link you said but it would take too much time to deal with. The other thing that I discovered is that, under the present system, when one ccap expires it takes down the whole level even if the other ccaps were meant to last longer.

Hope that helps a bit.

Andrew

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.