latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Setting a page restriction to a single level

Home Forums Community Forum Setting a page restriction to a single level

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices. Last updated by  Raam Dev 4 years, 2 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Tuesday Oct 16th, 2012 at 3:37 pm #28583

Hey guys,

I’ve left you alone for a while. Please repay that favor with a good answer for a novice to the following question (-:

I want to set page restrictions to either a single member level, or a custom set of member levels (i.e. Level 2 only, OR say Levels 1,4 only). Right now I can only see how to set page restrictions to a level including that member level and all levels above that level (a fully inclusive linear hierarchy such as “Level #2 and higher”).

Is there an EASY way for a novice (non-coder) to configure those types of custom restrictions? Thank you.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Tuesday Oct 16th, 2012 at 5:58 pm #28597
Eduan
Username: Eduan

Hello Charles,

This is easily achievable using custom capabilities instead of levels, also known as ccaps. You can find a video about them here: Video » s2Member (Custom Capabilities)

Hope this helps. :)

Posted: Tuesday Oct 16th, 2012 at 8:31 pm #28613

Eduan,

Thanks. I watched the videos on Custom Capabilities and it leads me to another question. Right now, S2MemberPro’s (out of the box) functionality limits the site’s main menu items only to pages that the user has the correct member-level permissions to view. If they don’t have the correct member level to access a page, the menu deletes that page link automatically. That is VERY cool. Will the same dynamic menu configuration occur when I limit user access to specific pages using custom capabilities? or will the user see pages listed on the menu, even though custom capabilities will restrict them from navigating to those pages?

Thank you.

Posted: Wednesday Oct 17th, 2012 at 9:09 am #28681

Will the same dynamic menu configuration occur when I limit user access to specific pages using custom capabilities?

Yes. I just tested this and that’s how it behaved. :)

Posted: Wednesday Oct 17th, 2012 at 9:48 am #28695

Thank you.

Posted: Wednesday Oct 17th, 2012 at 9:54 am #28699

No problem. :)

Posted: Wednesday Oct 17th, 2012 at 12:18 pm #28716

The next logical question would be . . . . .

The registration forms that S2MemberPro allows us to create, utilize “Custom Registration/Profile Fields” that can be set to appear only on forms for specific membership levels. That is a great function.

How do we get the same “member-level specific” form field inclusions/exclusions when using the custom capability functionality to delineate different membership types?

Thank you.

Posted: Wednesday Oct 17th, 2012 at 6:15 pm #28763
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

You can use the Pro-Form template=”” attribute to specify a custom Pro-Form template that you’ve created for a specific scenario.

So, if you’re selling different memberships on the same membership level and using Custom Capabilities to differentiate between those users, you could create a Pro-Form template for each custom capability, e.g., template-ccap1.php, and then dynamically specify that template file in the Pro-Form shortcode depending on what Custom Capabilities the user selected to sign up with.

This is getting to the advanced level of s2Member customization, but it’s certainly doable. This method would allow you to have a different Pro-Forms for each Custom Capability that you “sell” with your membership, along with a custom set of Custom Registration Fields on each Pro-Form. The registration fields themselves would all be created and set to be applicable to the same membership level, but your Pro-Form template file would only show the ones you want to appear.

Please see this thread for more info on how to create and use custom Pro-Form templates.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.