latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Share registrations between 2 or more domains

Home Forums Community Forum Share registrations between 2 or more domains

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Raam Dev 4 years, 10 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Wednesday Feb 22nd, 2012 at 11:25 am #5947

Is it possible either for s2 (FREE or PRO) to control user access on more than one domain, such as within a domain mapped WP Multisite installation, or for two installations of s2 on different domains within WP Multisite, to share the same user profiles?

The reason I want to do this is that the membership site is *.coop members-only site, and not the *.com site where access to content needs to be controlled. In other words, only when members have paid their dues on the *.coop site can they access and use the *.com site.

The installation isn\’t one where user profiles for different subdomains from the same domain are shared, but from two different domains with WordPress using Donncha\’s domain mapping plugin.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Feb 24th, 2012 at 2:17 pm #6303
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Terence,

s2Member (Free and Pro) only allow access restrictions to content on the domain where it’s installed. This is due to the way WordPress works (users from one installation are not shared between WordPress installations). See the following from WordPress.org:

The sites in a multisite network are separate, very like the separate blogs at WordPress.com. They are not interconnected like things in other kinds of networks (even though plugins can create various kinds of interconnections between the sites). If you plan on creating sites that are strongly interconnected, that share data, or share users, then a multisite network might not be the best solution.

If you’d like to sell access on one domain and provide the restricted content on another domain, we recommend installing s2Member on the domain where you want access restricted and then simply place your purchase buttons on the “sales” domain. (The purchase buttons generated by s2Member can be converted into encrypted URLs that can be placed on the other domain.)

Posted: Friday Feb 24th, 2012 at 9:34 pm #6372

Thanks Raam, that sounds like it might work. I\’ll need to study it a little more. Sounds like I will need to use roles to resolve any access issues on the *.coop site and use s2Member for the *.com site.

That should work, but as always, the devil is in the details.

Posted: Saturday Feb 25th, 2012 at 9:08 pm #6430

@Raam ~ the more I look at this the more I am getting confused because in just a little later I read this…

User Access
By design, all users who are added to your network will have subscriber access to all sites on your network. To allocate a different default role for users on individual sites, you must use a plugin, such as Multisite User Management.

Now s2Member recognizes my multisite installation and patches WordPress so it runs in that environment, which means, I take it, that s2Member is managing access on each of the sites in the network.

What does it matter, and why should s2Member then stop working, if external to this I map one of the WordPress site URLs to a different domain?

Posted: Saturday Feb 25th, 2012 at 10:51 pm #6432

Just been reading here and I have a much better feel for the problem now, or so I thought, but I had still to find the solution.

My members need to be on one domain/site, and the public needs to be on the other. Only problem is, both sites need their access levels protecting and I want to have an SSO (single sign on).

Anyway, then I found this WordPress 3.0: Multisite Domain Mapping Tutorial which tells me

This will make your login pages for all sites redirect to your main site to do the actual login. The benefit of this is that when you log in to one, you log into all of them. The downside is that the URL changes to another domain in order to log in.

But the downside are not downsides for me and the upsides are what I want.

And then again I found this at WPMU.DEV

However, and this is the reason I use Doncha\’s plugin, the WPMU DEV plugin does not handle remote logins. On a multisite network where you want folks to be able to browse the network, and still be logged in to all sites regardless of domain, only Doncha\’s plugin handles that (it also handles ajax along with this – the WPMU DEV plugin does not).

And then, later on, I find this…

Domain Mapping plugin – Lets all sites within one network have a domain mapped. This does not support single sign on. Multi Domains – This allows a WordPress install to run multiple networks. Each domain is owned by you and has single sign on.

So now I am really confused…

P.S. I wonder, can I just request it as an additional function to s2Member if I buy PRO?… 8^)

Posted: Monday Feb 27th, 2012 at 4:55 pm #6559
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Terrence,

s2Member does not officially support cross-domain access restrictions; we only support access restrictions for the domain on which s2Member has been installed. This applies to both s2Member Framework and s2Member Pro.

While s2Member can be installed in a multisite environment, that feature simply extends the s2Member plugin availability to sub-sites, meaning each sub-site gets to use s2Member on that domain (entirely independent of what’s going on with other domains).

If s2Member is upgraded on the primary domain, s2Member will automatically be upgraded for all sub-domains. But again, access restrictions are not controlled from one central domain.

It may be possible to use s2Member Pro in the scenario you described, but we do not support that.

You may want to post a custom job on one of the following sites and see if a programmer familiar with s2Member can make the necessary customizations:

https://www.elance.com/r/contractors/q-wordpress/
https://www.odesk.com/contractors/wordpress
http://jobs.wordpress.net

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.