latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Home Forums Community Forum Sign up email for all new customers spammed

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Raam Dev 4 years, 3 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Thursday Sep 27th, 2012 at 6:35 am #26665

Hello – this is a new problem that just started this week.

Almost every second purchase, I get an email from someone saying that they have not received my product, I tell them to check their spam folder, and they find the account creation email there.

Firstly, what can I do to stop my emails going to the spam folder? This is a major problem! My address is not blacklisted (I have an aweber broadcast list using the same email, but it gets through fine), and within WordPress I am using SMTP to send it directly from my gmail account.

The only things I could think of where to specify the from email to make sure it aligns with the sending email, within WordPress settings, but I’m not sure if this is what is making a difference. Thoughts appreciated.

Secondly, is there any reason that they would be waiting just on the email? I have it set so that they go to this thank you page immediately after payment: http://speakfromday1.com/thank-you/ and I think pressing the button to sign up is pretty clear, but they seem to be waiting on my email instead. It’s like they never see this page in the first place, or see it and don’t click onward.

Thoughts appreciated!

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Thursday Sep 27th, 2012 at 7:56 pm #26768
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Firstly, what can I do to stop my emails going to the spam folder? This is a major problem! My address is not blacklisted (I have an aweber broadcast list using the same email, but it gets through fine), and within WordPress I am using SMTP to send it directly from my gmail account.

The only things I could think of where to specify the from email to make sure it aligns with the sending email, within WordPress settings, but I’m not sure if this is what is making a difference. Thoughts appreciated.

If you’re using the WP SMTP plugin inside WordPress to send all outgoing emails using a GMail account, you shouldn’t be having any issues with emails going to spam. Have you modified your Account Creation email? If so, perhaps the content of that email is being flagged as spam for some reason… suspicious subject lines, too many links in the body of the email, word combinations that seem suspicious, too many dollar signs or exclamation points, etc.

I’m personally using WP SMTP to send Account Creation emails via a GMail account and I haven’t had any issues with spam. However, I modified the original email very little.

It’s also a very good idea to make sure the from email matches the sending email, as that’s another red flag for spam that email servers might pick up on.

Secondly, is there any reason that they would be waiting just on the email? I have it set so that they go to this thank you page immediately after payment: http://speakfromday1.com/thank-you/ and I think pressing the button to sign up is pretty clear, but they seem to be waiting on my email instead. It’s like they never see this page in the first place, or see it and don’t click onward.

Maybe their getting confused? I’m a bit confused myself… if they just registered and are waiting on an Account Creation email, why would they click Register again?

I suggest logging out of WordPress and testing your whole signup process as if you were a new user.

Posted: Saturday Oct 6th, 2012 at 6:46 am #27633

OK continuing with this, the issue is still there and I’m getting an inconvenient number of messages – almost every second purchase – from people asking where the product they paid for is.

The redirect simply isn’t working for some people, but it is for others. My Google analytics data shows the page IS getting accessed, but less times than it should. Is there some reason some people would NOT get redirected after a payment? Whatever it is, it’s happening.

And on the email going to spam issue (which it seems, it is pretty much happening ALL of the time now)
> Have you modified your Account Creation email?
No. It was set to default. I’ve just gone in and actually edited it, so that the from name is my own rather than my site name, and that the email has a hello and best regards to make it a little more personal, but I hadn’t edited it before to do anything spammy like use warning sign words or exclamation points.

> It’s also a very good idea to make sure the from email matches the sending email, as that’s another red flag for spam that email servers might pick up on.

Here are my settings:
From Email [actual email]
From Name [my name]
Return Path [same email]
Send all WordPress emails via SMTP. [ticked]
SMTP Host smtp.gmail.com
SMTP Port 465
Encryption [Use SSL encryption.]
Use SMTP authentication. [ticked]
Username gmail username and password entered for my personally hosted professional gmail account at irishpolyglot.com

The emails are getting sent, but are all going to spam. How can I look at this email to edit it?

In the email configuration option, I have the same details set (my name, my email etc.) although before, the name was my site name, rather than a human name, (Speak from day 1) which may come across as spammy?

I hope the minor changes to the email I made can help, but other thoughts appreciated. It’s getting quite tedious at this stage to message every second purchaser to check his spam folder and wonder why he didn’t simply see the thank you page and click the registration button.

Posted: Monday Oct 8th, 2012 at 3:07 am #27769
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

The redirect simply isn’t working for some people, but it is for others. My Google analytics data shows the page IS getting accessed, but less times than it should. Is there some reason some people would NOT get redirected after a payment? Whatever it is, it’s happening.

There could be issues with their web browser or issues with their internet connection. It’s hard to say. Unless you can reproduce redirect the issue consistently, or unless you see something in your log files that indicate a problem with the redirect, there’s not a whole lot we can do to troubleshoot.

The emails are getting sent, but are all going to spam. How can I look at this email to edit it?

What email do you want to edit? The Signup Emails can be edited in Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Options -› Signup Confirmation Email.

There are lots of people using s2Member and we have very, very few reports of the default emails going to spam. If they do go to spam, it’s usually because the email has been changed or because the email server sending the emails is on a blacklist somewhere (which can happen if lots of people flag your emails as spam, or if your server sends a flood of emails that looks like it’s a spamming server).

The only thing you can really do to test why your emails are going to spam is to send them from a different email address and a different email server (for example setting your From address and configuring WP SMTP outgoing server details to a GMail address/server).

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.