latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Specific post/page email not sending (again)

Home Forums Community Forum Specific post/page email not sending (again)

This topic contains 12 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Jason (Lead Developer) 3 years, 11 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Wednesday Jan 16th, 2013 at 1:11 pm #37802

Hi guys,
This is a continuation of an issue that I posted in a previous ticket (which is now closed due to it’s age):
http://www.s2member.com/forums/topic/specific-postpage-email-not-sending/

Essentially the exact same situation described there is occurring again now. To summarize:

• Customers buy specific post/page access, but do not receive an email with the access link.
  • Navigating directly to the page (while logged in) works normally.
  • I uploaded the server check and everything passes (although just as in the past ticket, the server script incorrectly reports my php memory limit as 40M when in reality it’s 256)
  • I’ve activated the email log plugin and the confirmation emails are not appearing (but other emails are)
  • The logs appear just as they did in that past post

The previous incident mysteriously resolved its self but our best guess was that it was server related. We did move our hosting account to a dedicated server a week ago, but everything else seems to be working normally. Is there any specific server configuration to check?

One additional clue… I am using the API notifications feature to save purchases into a table in the DB. Those rows are currently NOT appearing either, which tells me the notification is not being triggered.

Thanks!

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Thursday Jan 17th, 2013 at 4:41 pm #37940
Staff Member

Thanks for reporting this important issue.

I reviewed your report about this from the past, including the log entries you posted. I’d like to see if there is something more going on than meets the eye. Please submit a Dashboard login privately so I can run diagnostics on your installation. Please use: s2Member® » Private Contact Form

Posted: Thursday Jan 17th, 2013 at 7:04 pm #37972

Thanks Jason, I just submitted the requested credentials.

Posted: Saturday Jan 19th, 2013 at 4:05 pm #38326
Staff Member

Thanks for your patience.

I’ve just reviewed your server and s2Member® log files. I can tell from your log files that you have HTTP connections failing whenever s2Member® is attempting to make contact with it’s core PayPal® IPN processor. This occurs during Specific Post/Page Checkout at random, for a reason which is yet to be determined. This is why you have emails missing, because s2Member is failing is complete post-processing on some transactions.

I can confirm that s2Member® functions properly in this respect, on a clean installation of WordPress v3.2+. Therefore I must assume, at least at this point, this is an installation-specific issue. In order to determine the underlying cause of these HTTP connection failures, please implement the HTTP debugging tool that we’ve documented here. Feel free to post the additional log file(s) produced by this tool, and we will review them with you. See: Knowledge Base » Debugging HTTP Connections

Please let us know if problems persist :-)

Posted: Saturday Jan 19th, 2013 at 8:07 pm #38353

Hi Jason,
I installed the mu-plugin as instructed in the link. I’ll report back with whatever findings result from that. In the mean time, are you able to tell me any more about the failing http connections? How do you know they’re happening and is there more details that I could use to investigate it further.
-e

Posted: Sunday Jan 20th, 2013 at 10:41 am #38412

Hi again Jason,

I have the new http logs following a new specific post/page purchase. I’m not exactly sure what to look for, and I don’t think it’s safe to post them here, but I can point to line # 4181 which appears to be a purchase notification. Are you able use the credentials provided earlier to have a look?

Also, I see the following error quite often in my general server log:

[20-Jan-2013 04:55:57] PHP Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /home/streetof/public_html/wp-content/plugins/s2member/includes/classes/files-in.inc.php(387) : eval()’d code:1) in /home/streetof/public_html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 876

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by  Brett Adcock.
Posted: Tuesday Jan 22nd, 2013 at 5:09 pm #39005
Staff Member

Thanks for the follow-up :-)

Yes, I am taking a look at your log files now. One moment please.

Posted: Tuesday Jan 22nd, 2013 at 5:15 pm #39006
Staff Member

Thanks for your patience.

Your HTTP log files indicate the following issue.

<body id="error-page">
	<p>Access Denied<br/>
This site is protected by the Stop Spammer Registrations Plugin.<br/></p></body>
</html>

This is happening during s2Member’s post-processing of a transaction. It appears this plugin is in conflict with s2Member in some way. Either through code, or through your configuration of this plugin. I would check on this and see if you can tweak things, or disable this problematic plugin.

See also: Knowledge Base » Plugins/Themes (Compatibility w/ s2Member®)

Please let us know if problems persist :-)

Posted: Tuesday Jan 22nd, 2013 at 5:25 pm #39009

Thanks!

The installation of that plugin is probably around the time this problem started. Disabling it is a possible solution, but it is highly effective in preventing SPAM in conjunction with the QA plugin offered by WPMU. (We were getting pounded by SPAM before we installed it.)

I’d love to keep it active if possible. Can you tell me anything more about where you’re seeing the plugin blocking s2Member functionality? Maybe I will be able to make some adjustments.

Posted: Thursday Jan 24th, 2013 at 3:11 am #39302
Staff Member

Thanks for your reply :-)

I would contact the plugin developer and explain that it’s blocking the server itself, when one script on the server is attempting to POST data to another script. A quick review of this plugin would suggest that a SESSION cannot be established during this form of communication, and could be the underlying cause.

On the other hand, I didn’t write this plugin, so it’s difficult to know for sure. It could be a simple as whitelisting the server’s IP address to prevent this from happening. It looks like you can do that from the Dashboard with this plugin. Please let us know what you find out. Thanks!

Posted: Thursday Jan 24th, 2013 at 8:34 am #39402

Thanks for your help. I was able to resolve this by adjusting some settings of stop spammer registration plugin…
I turned off several features but I believe the one that did it was the option to block connections with incomplete headers. Now it works again.

Posted: Friday Jan 25th, 2013 at 7:07 pm #39561
Staff Member
Excellent. Thanks for reporting back!
Posted: Saturday Feb 2nd, 2013 at 3:48 am #40334
Staff Member
UPDATE: Please see this post regarding compatibility with Stop Spammer Registration.
http://www.s2member.com/forums/topic/stopping-human-registration-spam/#post-40333
Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.