latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Stop concurrent logins isntead of IP bans?

Home Forums Community Forum Stop concurrent logins isntead of IP bans?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years, 3 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Sunday Oct 7th, 2012 at 6:45 pm #27757

I have been testing s2member for about a month now and have run into the ip ban limit myself… this isn’t good. I like the idea of stopping share abuse but with the current state of mobile computing between smarthphones, tablets, and wifi access all over the place, 5, 10, or even 20 different legitimate ip logins seem easily achievable. That said, people with typically static connections could still easily share their information with a handful of other static users and never reach the ip limit.

So, how do we solve this issue? Why not stop concurrent logins and simply force one login to log another session out? Is this available in the pro version? Are there plans to add it?

UPDATE: We have been running this plugin for 60 days with 30 members and our 20 ip limit has been hit by 3 different users already. Each one complained about not being able to access from their iPhone. As I suspected, people are connecting via wi-fi spots all over the place and hitting the limit easily.

I love the plugin but I think the ip ban is an outdated solution to a definite real problem.

Please consider this a feature request.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Monday Oct 8th, 2012 at 7:16 am #27780
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Thank you for the feature request, Charles.

The IP Restrictions feature is designed to work with not just logins, but also with Specific Post/Page Buy Now links, which do not require logins.

s2Member uses the WordPress authentication system and the ability to login multiple times with the same credentials is actually a feature of WordPress itself. Getting around that feature is not trivial. (A bit of technical background here.) However, I can absolutely see why you might want to prevent multiple logins, especially on a membership site.

The lead developer is working hard on the next major version of s2Member and I will pass along your feature request to him.

Posted: Monday Oct 8th, 2012 at 7:22 pm #27835

TY

Posted: Tuesday Oct 9th, 2012 at 7:38 am #27887

These plugins may help:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/login-only-1-session/
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/single-user-login/

And we are considering this for the new s2Member being developed. :)

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.