latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

strange s2member issues when using 'www'

Home Forums Community Forum strange s2member issues when using 'www'

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Thursday Jan 3rd, 2013 at 5:19 pm #36133

Hello websharks!

Today, I switched our site over to cloudflare, which went smoothly except for one problem: A guest ( not logged in ) user visiting the front page of our website, would get the following error:-
The web page at http://www.wildfireworlds.com/my-membership-options-page/?_s2member_seeking%5Btype%5D=page&_s2member_seeking%5Bpage%5D=195&_s2member_seeking%5B_uri%5D=Lw%3D%3D&_s2member_req%5Btype%5D=level&_s2member_req%5Blevel%5D=0&_s2member_res%5Btype%5D=sys&s2member_seeking=page-195&s2member_level_req=0 has resulted in too many redirects. Clearing your cookies for this site or allowing third-party cookies may fix the problem. If not, it is possibly a server configuration issue and not a problem with your computer.
Here are some suggestions:
Reload this web page later.
Learn more about this problem.
Error 310 (net::ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS): There were too many redirects.

All the other pages worked fine.
So, I disabled cloudflare and redirected our nameservers back to our server… but the problem persisted. Only when I returned the wordpress and site URL’s in wordpress/settings/general so they used a bare URL without the ‘www’ ( wildfireworlds.com vs http://www.wildfireworlds.com ) did the problem go away and guests could get into the front page. Seems like it has nothing to do with cloudflare but rather the site starting with ‘www’ or not. Using ‘www’ is a prerequisite for using cloudflare.

I also noticed that the front static page we are using is marked as being restricted to ‘level 0 and above’ when the URL settings use ‘www’. When I remove the ‘www’ the page is no longer restricted. So from what I can gather, making the site ‘www’ ( which is a requirement of cloudflare ) makes the front page restricted to non members which in turn tries to redirect guests to the membership page = the error above.

But, im no expert obviously!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT

Ive just seen the post above mine talking about having www or not. Im not sure if it relates to my problem. Im not sure I totally understand to be honest!

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Saturday Jan 5th, 2013 at 7:37 am #36252

Hi Michael.

It’s important to be consistent with the use of www. If you decide to use it, then make sure you use it everwhere. Knowledge Base » Don't mix www and without

It can also cause login session problems. Knowledge Base » Logged in but am considered logged out

I also noticed that the front static page we are using is marked as being restricted to ‘level 0 and above’ when the URL settings use ‘www’. When I remove the ‘www’ the page is no longer restricted. So from what I can gather, making the site ‘www’ ( which is a requirement of cloudflare ) makes the front page restricted to non members which in turn tries to redirect guests to the membership page = the error above.

If your home page the same one you set as the Login Welcome page by any chance? the Login Welcome page is automatically protected at Level 0, to required the user to be logged in, since it’s meant for logged in users.

If you’ll use a static home page, make sure it’s not the same as the s2Member Login Welcome or Membership Options pages.
[hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› Login Welcome Page[/hilite]
[hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› Membership Options Page[/hilite]

Posted: Saturday Jan 5th, 2013 at 10:13 am #36271

Hi Cristian. Thanks for getting back to me.

We have been using our site without the “www” since the beginning. The only reason we decided to switch was so we could use cloudflare which insists the site must be ‘www’.

Ive checked the the login_welcome_page, which is blank in our settings. But the Redirection URL is indeed pointing at the front page. This was causing the problem. If I left this blank then the page remains unrestricted.

Thanks very much for your guidance. I appreciate it.

Posted: Monday Jan 7th, 2013 at 5:10 am #36426

No problem. Glad I could help! :)

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.