latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Subscriptions with Google checkout?

Home Forums Community Forum Subscriptions with Google checkout?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 4 voices. Last updated by  Jason (Lead Developer) 4 years, 5 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Tuesday Jul 10th, 2012 at 4:20 pm #18830
Simon Cooke
Username: Simon23

Hi there

I need to create various subscriptions for S2 levels (recurring billing – automated)

Can I do this using S2 and Google checkout ?

https://developers.google.com/checkout/developer/Google_Checkout_Beta_Features#subscriptions

thanks

Si

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Wednesday Jul 11th, 2012 at 2:51 am #18882
Simon Cooke

bump

Posted: Wednesday Jul 11th, 2012 at 5:19 am #18897

Hi Simon.

Yes, you can do subscriptions with Google Checkout, and they can be different ones. The limitation is that accounts can only have one subscription at a time, no multiple subscriptions for the same account.

The new s2Member we’re developing will make multiple concurrent subscriptions possible, but we don’t have a release date yet.

I hope that answers the question. :)

Posted: Wednesday Jul 11th, 2012 at 5:41 am #18898
Simon Cooke

Yes, I think it does – thanks.

I am a little confused about the various options supported by PayPal, depending on what type of PayPal account you have.

I think this is the case:

PayPal Business does NOT support recurring subscriptions (using s2member buttons)
PayPal Pro does support recurring subscriptions (using s2member pro forms)

Google checkout (normal account) does support recurring subscriptions (using s2member buttons)

Can you confirm this ?

I have to clarify options for clients and need clarity myself

Si

Posted: Wednesday Jul 11th, 2012 at 5:45 am #18899
Simon Cooke

Also, alongside this is the issue of the checkout accepting customer credit cards

I have got a PayPal Business account (not pro) accepting cards for one-off payments (via s2member buttons)

Can Google checkout accept subscription payments with customer credit cards ?

si

Posted: Wednesday Jul 11th, 2012 at 6:20 am #18902

The PayPal services that s2Member integrates with do support subscriptions (recurring payments). For some, like PayPal Standard or Express Checkout, the user would be required to login to his PayPal account, though, unless you upgraded your account with their recurring payments service (has different names depending on the country, I think).

I just looked up PayPal Business Account and it says it supports recurring payments:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/personal_vs_business-outside#special
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/xcl/rec/subscription-outside

Can Google checkout accept subscription payments with customer credit cards ?

I’m not sure, since I’ve never used it before or had to help someone with it. I looked it up in Google to see if users could pay a subscription with just the card, without having to login, and couldn’t find a definite answer for it.

I went to the Google Checkout page and it seems to have now changed to Google Wallet, and users seem to need a Wallet account with their cards in it to make payments, no mention is made of paying without a Wallet account. http://www.google.com/wallet/faq.html#online

I’m gonna check with Jason about this.

Posted: Wednesday Jul 11th, 2012 at 10:25 am #18923
Simon Cooke

Thanks – I am starting to develop a picture of what is and is not possible but its still not really clear.

At the moment it looks like, using a PayPal Business account, I could setup recurring payments with PP buttons – but the customers would have to have PayPal accounts to subscribe this way.

Google also supports recurring payments but seems as if one needs a Wallet account to subscribe this way ?

My question is therefore: is there any way to create a subscription service where customers can pay with a Credit card ?

Perhaps you guys could start a separate knowledge base to keep abreast of these issues ?

They are complex and changing and intrinsic to s2member pro usage.

Posted: Thursday Jul 12th, 2012 at 6:19 am #19016

Right, your customers will be required to have a PayPal account to start a subscription, unless you’ve upgraded your PayPal service to support recurring payments.

These may help:
http://www.primothemes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2634
http://www.s2member.com/faqs/#s2-faqs-paypal-account-type

Posted: Thursday Jul 12th, 2012 at 6:29 am #19018
Simon Cooke

Thanks – I dont think these articles are accurate anymore.

I have a PayPal Business account, then freely upgraded to PayPal Express checkout and can now get my API credentials and use Pro forms.

With this and pro forms I cannot, however, pay with credit cards – only a PayPal account
Using PP standard buttons, customers can pay with credit cards (for one off payments)

I already know all this from testing in last 2 weeks and it condradicts some of the info in the articles you gave links to

What I don’t know is how this operates when trying to use forms/buttosn for subscriptions

Joe

Posted: Thursday Jul 12th, 2012 at 7:06 am #19022

Express Checkout is a free service and it will still require the customer to login to his PayPal account for subscriptions.

To not require a PayPal account, you’ll need the Enhanced Recurring Payments service for your PayPal Standard account, or PayPal Pro (PayFlow Edition) with the Recurring Billing service. http://www.primothemes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2634

2. PayPal® Standard + ERP ( Enhanced Recurring Payments ) = $19.99/mo.
* Note * In the UK, ERP ( Enhanced Recurring Payments ) is called: Premium Services.
– Customer checks out @ PayPal® ( NOT on your site )
– Same as PayPal® Standard, except…
Customers are NO longer required to have a PayPal® account ( ever ), even for Subscriptions.

3. PayPal® Pro ( $30/mo + optional Recurring Billing service ) = $60/mo total.
This allows you to keep Customers on your site throughout the entire checkout process. You can accept Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Discover, Maestro, Solo, and ALSO offer PayPal® as an option to those who prefer to pay with PayPal®.

I think you shoud contact PayPal to ask them about these services and get for your account the one you prefer to use.

Posted: Friday Jul 13th, 2012 at 9:36 am #19172
Simon Cooke

Thanks Christian, for clarifying the detail re: PayPal

The original question was about Google Checkout

Can we setup subscriptions for S2 customers, where they can pay by credit card ?

joe

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by  Simon Cooke.
Posted: Saturday Jul 14th, 2012 at 5:26 am #19219
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Simon,

Yes, s2Member supports recurring subscriptions with Google Checkout:

s2Member has been integrated with Google® for Direct Payments and also for Recurring Billing. In order to take advantage of this integration, you will need to have a Google® Checkout Account. Once you have an account, all of the details below can be obtained from inside of your Google® Merchant account. If you need assistance, please check their help section.

You’ll need to enable to Google Checkout payment gateway in Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Other Gateways.

Posted: Saturday Jul 14th, 2012 at 5:35 am #19221
Simon Cooke

thanks – I see that

But, can we do recurring payments (subscriptions) and allow the user to pay with a credit card ?

Posted: Saturday Jul 14th, 2012 at 6:49 am #19240

Simon, I’m not sure at this point, since Google changed their Checkout service into the Wallet one, and it seems to work with the customer having his payment methods in a Wallet account. So it looks like it doesn’t just take cards without the user logging in, but I’m not sure.

Did you contact the Google Wallet support people? I’m gonna try contacting them myself and will let you know what they reply when they do.

Posted: Saturday Jul 14th, 2012 at 6:57 am #19242
Posted: Monday Jul 16th, 2012 at 5:38 am #19332
Simon Cooke

Seems no one is answering that Google Groups question?

Posted: Monday Jul 16th, 2012 at 5:42 am #19333

No. Maybe because it’s the weekend.

Posted: Wednesday Jul 18th, 2012 at 6:54 pm #19682
Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up on this thread.

The original question was about Google Checkout
Can we setup subscriptions for S2 customers, where they can pay by credit card ?

No, Google® Checkout, very much like PayPal Standard and/or Express Checkout — requires that each customer be associated with a Google account (or be willing to signup for one). That is, a Google® Checkout account (aka: a Google® Wallet).

If you’d like to accept credit cards directly, I recommend PayPal Pro, operating with s2Member Pro Forms. This allows you to accept credit cards directly on your site, and also offer PayPal Express Checkout as an option, to those who prefer to pay with PayPal.

If that’s not an option, I recommend PayPal Enhanced Recurring Payments, which makes it possible to accept credit cards through PayPal Standard Buttons (i.e. no PayPal account required during checkout, even for recurring payments). This is something you’d want to speak with PayPal about. Note that PayPal Enhanced Recurring Payments is NOT as flexible as a PayPal Pro account, so I offer this as a secondary option only.

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.