latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Switching from WPMU Membership

Home Forums Community Forum Switching from WPMU Membership

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Eduan 4 years, 10 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Tuesday Feb 28th, 2012 at 5:03 pm #6688

Hi S2 – a few questions for you, but first, please let me vent for like 30 seconds…

I bought a license for WPMU membership for a membership site I wanted to launch late last year. After several months of excruciatingly slow/unwilling tech support (or being ignored entirely), broken code, and promises of “an update coming really soon”, I’ve had it. I’ve had to push back the launch date of this site for far too long, I spent too much with WPMU, and I’m looking for a plugin that is (the ever-elusive combination of) robust and easy to use. For background, I’m not a developer by any means, but I’m really good at modifying php and css to meet my needs. END RANT.

If I get S2 as a replacement (and not Wishlist, which I’ve heard is more difficult to use), what I’m looking for is this:

1. From what I’ve seen so far, S2 seems to provide pretty good tech support. What usual response time do you have for Pro customers?
  2. How does S2 Pro handle user upgrades? Say, if a Free user wanted to upgrade to Premium? I ask because WPMU Membership has a HUGE bug where Free users can upgrade to a higher membership access level — with NO MONEY changing hands. That is fundamental functionality that is leading me to throw away their plugin.
  3. Similarly, how does S2 handle user downgrades? If someone wanted to cancel their Premium account, would they be considered Free (same account, less access), or a Stranger (no account at all, start over to get a free account)? (on WPMU, they get knocked down to Stranger level)
  4. How is the tag dealt with? Can I have membership levels that can see SOME more tags, but not all (as opposed to a black or white, all or nothing approach)?
  5. How customizable is the subscription form layout? Is it possible to output the membership levels side by side, like in a table format – so that it’s easy to compare membership benefits across?
  6. Possible to allow multiple payment plans for each membership level? Meaning, for, say, the Premium level, can I offer pay monthly for X price, pay yearly for some discounted price?
  7. Possible to offer lifetime memberships?
  8. Can you restrict content based on short codes? Can I make a custom short code that I could place around another short code – so that only a super-select group of users could see that content?

For instance, I have a post that only Basic and Premium users can access. It contains [download] tags for a downloadable PDF (both can access) and a downloadable video (only premium can access). Could I wrap the video’s [download] tag in a [premium]…[/premium] short code?

9. I’m sorry to ask so many questions. I really failed myself by spending so much time and money on WPMU, and it’s a recent mistake (still stings!) I don’t want to repeat anytime soon.

Thanks!!

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Tuesday Feb 28th, 2012 at 11:03 pm #6712
Eduan
Username: Eduan

Hello Vashte, thanks for your inquiry.

From what I’ve seen so far, S2 seems to provide pretty good tech support. What usual response time do you have for Pro customers?

Our support reps are available within 24-48 hours, excluding Saturday, Sunday and major holidays. Please check the support policy for more information:
s2Member® » Support Policy

How does S2 Pro handle user upgrades? Say, if a Free user wanted to upgrade to Premium? I ask because WPMU Membership has a HUGE bug where Free users can upgrade to a higher membership access level — with NO MONEY changing hands. That is fundamental functionality that is leading me to throw away their plugin.

s2Member handles upgrades through modification buttons/pro-forms, you will generate a special button which will upgrade the user from one level to the other, it can also downgrade users, as long as it involves modifying the s2Member status of the member, the user must be registered for this to work correctly. You can check under Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Buttons -› Subscr. Modification Buttons for instructions and more info.

Similarly, how does S2 handle user downgrades? If someone wanted to cancel their Premium account, would they be considered Free (same account, less access), or a Stranger (no account at all, start over to get a free account)? (on WPMU, they get knocked down to Stranger level)

See my answer above.

How is the tag dealt with? Can I have membership levels that can see SOME more tags, but not all (as opposed to a black or white, all or nothing approach)?

I’m not quite sure I understand, do you mean that users have access to certain posts/pages with certain tags? If so, then this is possible with s2Member, please check under Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options -› Tag Access Restrictions. If not, then please elaborate a little more. Thanks.

How customizable is the subscription form layout? Is it possible to output the membership levels side by side, like in a table format – so that it’s easy to compare membership benefits across?

The free version of s2Member only offers buttons, so as long as you know your way around HTML/CSS, it is possible to do what you describe, simply put the description of each product, and at the bottom put the PayPal button using the shortcode provided. The pro version of s2Member offers pro-forms, which will allow you to make the entire registration in your site, they won’t have to go to PayPal, and it also allows you to accept in various major credit cards. Again, simply put the description of the product, and at the bottom put the shortcode provided for the pro-form.

Possible to allow multiple payment plans for each membership level? Meaning, for, say, the Premium level, can I offer pay monthly for X price, pay yearly for some discounted price?

Yes, this is possible, simply generate different buttons with different subscriptions, with different plans. Though if they want to change plans at any given time, they must use modification buttons (see above, second to third question).

Possible to offer lifetime memberships?

Yes, this is possible.

Can you restrict content based on short codes? Can I make a custom short code that I could place around another short code – so that only a super-select group of users could see that content?

For instance, I have a post that only Basic and Premium users can access. It contains [download] tags for a downloadable PDF (both can access) and a downloadable video (only premium can access). Could I wrap the video’s [download] tag in a [premium]…[/premium] short code?

Yes, this is possible, using s2Member conditionals, you can check under Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting -› Simple/Shortcode Conditionals for simple conditionals, or if you want more advanced conditionals you can check under Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting -› Advanced PHP Conditionals. You can also check our KBA (Knowledge Base Article) for more information on conditionals: Knowledge Base » s2Member® Conditionals.

I’m sorry to ask so many questions. I really failed myself by spending so much time and money on WPMU, and it’s a recent mistake (still stings!) I don’t want to repeat anytime soon.

Thanks!!

No problem. :)

Does this answer your questions?

Posted: Tuesday Feb 28th, 2012 at 11:11 pm #6715

It does answer my questions, thank you! And thanks for the quick response. ;)

I’ll clarify this one – I tried to get fancy, and the code got stripped out:

How is the tag dealt with? Can I have membership levels that can see SOME more tags, but not all (as opposed to a black or white, all or nothing approach)?
I’m not quite sure I understand, do you mean that users have access to certain posts/pages with certain tags? If so, then this is possible with s2Member, please check under Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options -› Tag Access Restrictions. If not, then please elaborate a little more. Thanks.

This is concerning the more tag. (I put

<!--more-->

previously without wrapping in code tags :P) How is the MORE tag dealt with? Can I have membership levels that can see SOME more tags, but not all (as opposed to a black or white, all or nothing approach)?

Thanks –

V

Posted: Wednesday Feb 29th, 2012 at 7:55 am #6757
Eduan

Hello Vashte, thanks for the follow-up.

This is concerning the more tag. (I put

<!--more-->

previously without wrapping in code tags :P) How is the MORE tag dealt with? Can I have membership levels that can see SOME more tags, but not all (as opposed to a black or white, all or nothing approach)?

Thanks –

V

s2Member does not have any special functions with the

<!--more-->

tag, by default.

However, you can use s2Member conditionals in the tag, which will allow you to control which member sees it, there was a post on this in the old forums by Jason, on how to accomplish this, I’ll ask for his input on this.

Though I do know it’s possible.

Hope this helps. :)

Posted: Wednesday Feb 29th, 2012 at 2:55 pm #6783

Thanks! It does help.

Do I need s2member Pro to offer lifetime (indefinite) memberships?

I just installed it, and I am AMAZED.

For anyone who might be considering WPMU Membership: DON’T!

Posted: Wednesday Feb 29th, 2012 at 3:22 pm #6792
Eduan

Do I need s2member Pro to offer lifetime (indefinite) memberships?

No, this function is available in the pro and the free version of s2Member.

I just installed it, and I am AMAZED.

Thanks for the kudos. :)

Posted: Wednesday Feb 29th, 2012 at 3:26 pm #6793
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Vashte,

Thank you so much for the KUDOS! :) I’m glad to hear you’re enjoying s2Member.

The free version of s2Member (Framework) does allow you to offer lifetime (i.e., indefinite) memberships. Simply choose the One Time ( for lifetime access, non-recurring, no trial ) option from the drop-down box in the button generator (Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Buttons).

Posted: Thursday Mar 1st, 2012 at 8:26 am #6881
Eduan

Hello Vashte,
Jason was able to find the post I told you about:
http://www.primothemes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16079&p=54259#p54259

It should answer your question about the MORE tag.

Does this help?

Posted: Friday Mar 2nd, 2012 at 2:33 am #7012

Eduán, Raam, thanks so much for your help. It will definitely be my pleasure to become a Pro member here soon.

And this post on the tag is really helpful, thanks. That’s exactly what I was looking for!

V

Posted: Friday Mar 2nd, 2012 at 9:04 am #7063
Eduan

Thanks for the follow-up.

Glad we were able to help Vashte. :)

If you need anything else, please make a post. ;)

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.