latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Teaser blurb for non-members?

Home Forums Community Forum Teaser blurb for non-members?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years, 8 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Wednesday May 2nd, 2012 at 4:56 pm #12396

Hi, I’m working on a content-restricted blog. I’m trying to figure out if there is a recommended way to tease non-subscribers with a blurb associated with each post. In other words, a little snippet that will convince you to buy a subscription to see the rest.

My first idea was that until you log in, you just get to see WordPress’s Post Excerpt — The_Excerpt(). But when I tried to add a hook that presented non-members with The_Excerpt(), I found that this, like the rest of the post, was under Content Restriction and threw a “you have to be a member to see this” error.

This has to be a common thing…is there some capability in S2Members to show teaser excerpts or other metadata to non-members?

Or do you recommend writing a PHP function that will bypass Content Restriction and dig the excerpt out of the database in some other way?

The idea is that newcomers to the site would see a blog post along the lines of

“May 2, 2012. Interview with Such-And-Such.”

“This week on the podcast, the guy talks to Such-And-Such. Here’s an audio excerpt. Buy a membership to hear the rest.”

Any help much appreciated.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Wednesday May 2nd, 2012 at 5:00 pm #12397

I am working on something similar on a site I am now developing.
The point is I use PDF files for the teasers.
In that PDF I describe a bit of an article, to the point where I expect the reader wants to continue.
Then I tease them with the “want to read more…” and a hyperlink to my registration page.
Once theyt close the PDF they get a popup (using PDF PopUp Pro) that leaves a message where they can go to the reg page once again.
Just my $0.02

Posted: Wednesday May 2nd, 2012 at 5:04 pm #12399

That’s interesting but that will not work for me here. Thanks, though!

Posted: Thursday May 3rd, 2012 at 1:37 am #12428
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Johnny,

You may want to look into using the

<!--more-->

tag to display a teaser blurb followed by signup options to non-members. This post explains how the more tag works with s2Member.

Posted: Thursday May 3rd, 2012 at 7:43 pm #12529

That may not work for me because we’re trying to set up Buy Specific Post and from what I understand, that only works when the entire post is under Content Restriction. Right?

And also I’d rather not force members to go through a More link every time they want to listen to their show.

Is there some other way that the preview could sneak around Content Restriction. Maybe as Custom Field data? Does that stuff get restricted too?

Any help much appreciated,

John

Posted: Friday May 4th, 2012 at 4:55 am #12560

Have you adjusted your Alt Views restriction settings for this? [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options -› Alternative View Protection[/hilite]

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.