latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Timely calendar alternate views

Home Forums Community Forum Timely calendar alternate views

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Jason (Lead Developer) 3 years, 11 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Friday Jan 25th, 2013 at 5:17 pm #39553

I am using Timely’s All-in-one Event Calendar for events and s2member’s Post Level Restriction capability to control which events are viewable by the public and which events are viewable by members. This works fine for the event detail pages but does not keep member-only events from being displayed in the calendar’s Upcoming Events widget or the Calendar page (monthly, weekly, etc views). I have tried selecting all the options in Alternate Views Protection without success. How can I keep member-only events from showing up in the calendar widget & aggregate page.

Thank you,
Sofia

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Saturday Jan 26th, 2013 at 5:07 am #39643
Staff Member

Thanks for your inquiry. ~ We appreciate your patience :-)

You might want to have a look at s2Member’s URI Restrictions, because those are capable of protecting content generated by 3rd-party components and plugins. While I can’t offer support for 3rd-party plugins, if you can show us some example URLs that you’re trying to protect, which are generated by this plugin, we’ll try to point you in the right direction with s2Member®.

See: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options -› URI Access Restrictions

Please let us know if problems persist :-)

Posted: Saturday Jan 26th, 2013 at 10:36 pm #39717

Thanks for the suggestion, Jason.

I tried URI Restriction with the same result – works at the event detail page level but not for the ‘upcoming events’ widget or the main calendar page.

Example URIs for individual event pages are: /?ai1ec_event=62-2&instance_id=11 and /?ai1ec_event=trial-event-1&instance_id=9
Any pointers you can provide are greatly appreciated.

Sofia

Posted: Wednesday Jan 30th, 2013 at 3:28 am #39986
Staff Member

Thanks for the follow-up :-)

Regarding…
/?ai1ec_event=62-2&instance_id=11
This could be protected with an s2Member URI Restriction set to a value of:
ai1ec_event=62-2

Regarding…
/?ai1ec_event=trial-event-1&instance_id=9
This could be protected with an s2Member URI Restriction set to a value of:
ai1ec_event=trial-event-1

Or whatever you need to match up with. I’m not certain what each of those variables accomplish in the context of that 3rd-party component, but I’m sure you can determine this from your end. You just need to give s2Member a word fragment that is always associated with content like this.

Also, please be careful about variable reversal. Generally speaking, it’s not a great idea to configure a URI Restriction with s2Member that searches a string with multiple query string arguments. This is because a reversal of those arguments could cause s2Member to miss something.

For instance, if you set a URI Restriction like this:
ai1ec_event=trial-event-1&instance_id=9

I could simply visit a URL with these values reversed: instance_id=9&ai1ec_event=trial-event-1

Posted: Wednesday Jan 30th, 2013 at 12:17 pm #40010

Thank you for taking the time to respond, Jason.

As I mentioned previously, the issue is not one of restricting individual event pages, but one of restricting the event information from appearing in pages that aggregate the event content, such as the calendar page or the upcoming events widget.

S2member’s URI restriction capabilities do not keep the event information from the aggregate page and widget.

In addition, the URI format used by this particular calendar does not distinguish events based on s2member levels or even categories so it makes it impossible to use a URI pattern that allows me to separate out public events and member-only events.

I think I need to look for a calendar plugin that will work better with S2member. Do you know of any?

Thank you,
Sofia

Posted: Saturday Feb 2nd, 2013 at 5:23 am #40350
Staff Member

Thanks for the follow-up :-)

I see. So you’re dealing with inline content protection. I’m not aware of a calendar plugin that is pre-integrated with s2Member® in this way. It’s likely that even if you found one, it’s going to require some theme/template customization to get exactly what you’re looking for anyway. Ultimately, with inline content protection, you’ll be dealing with s2Member’s Conditionals.

See: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting -› Simple/Shortcode Conditionals
See also: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting -› Advanced PHP Conditionals
See also: Video » s2Member (Advanced Conditionals)

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.