latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Topic content not displayed – s2 + bbPress

Home Forums Community Forum Topic content not displayed – s2 + bbPress

Tagged: 

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years, 4 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Wednesday Aug 15th, 2012 at 3:23 pm #22149
Kevin Vaughn
Username: kvaughn

Hello,

We are experiencing exactly the same issue as described here:

http://www.s2member.com/forums/topic/buddypress-bbpress-forum-post-does-not-appear/

All regular users (level 0) can create new posts and replies but cannot see the original topic content.
All replies are displayed properly.

As soon as the s2Member is disabled, everything is displayed properly.

Enabling/disabling the bbPress and s2Member plugins did not help.

s2Member log directly is empty.

Settings info:
– no URL restrictions
– no post type restrictions
– level 0 users have checked the “read” and “read private forums” capabilities

Site setup info:
– WordPress 3.4.1
– bbPress 2.1.2
– s2Member 120703 + s2Member Pro v120703
– no BuddyPress
– no content access plugins other than s2Member

Please come back to us as soon as possible as this is crucial for our community.

Thank you.

Aram

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Thursday Aug 16th, 2012 at 7:30 am #22199
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Aram,

What settings are configured in Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options -› Alternative View Protection?

Also, are there any restrictions in Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options -› URI Access Restrictions?

Posted: Thursday Aug 16th, 2012 at 3:50 pm #22276
Kevin Vaughn

Hi Raam,

Thank you for your response.

We found what caused this issue in the meantime.

One page ID on Restriction Options -> Page Access Restrictions did not exist anymore. The page was deleted from admin.
This caused unpredictable content access permissions, so users were not able to see the forum topics.
As soon as we removed that page ID, everything went back to normal.

The ID was in the “Pages that require highest level #4” field.

This is a bug/glitch in s2Member. You can solve it by implementing the delete_post or before_delete_post action and removing the page/post IDs automatically from the list of restricted pages.
Also there might be something wrong in the plugin logic which checks particular IDs – you can add an additional check to see if the page/post exists for sure and only then to continue.

As this possibly results in broken access permissions, the most appropriate is to address this issue in the next batch of updates. You have many paid customers who use your plugin for protecting private discussions and communities and they might not be even aware of this issue.

Let me know if you need any other details.

Regards,

Aram

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by  Kevin Vaughn.
  • This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by  Kevin Vaughn.
Posted: Friday Aug 17th, 2012 at 8:02 am #22319

Thanks for the update, Adam, and for reporting your findings. I’m forwarding it to Jason so he can take a look at this. :)

Posted: Friday Aug 17th, 2012 at 1:11 pm #22371
Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up on this thread,
and thanks for reporting this important issue.

So far I’ve been unable to reproduce this, but we’ll continue to look at this closely. Regarding the existence of a Post/Page, as it relates to s2Member’s Restrictions. s2Member is only comparing the current URL, Post ID, Page ID, etc, to the Restrictions, so if a Post/Page does not exist, it should not trip over any of s2Member’s settings.

Regarding the hooks for post deletion, we’ll certainly consider it. However, given the multi-layer restriction options provided by s2Member, deleting a specific Post/Page ID, may not cover all layers of protection, as this really needs to be handled by a site owner. For instance, protecting a URI, or a category/tag, or something that engages with a Replacement Code, can also have an impact on Restrictions, which is not easily detectable via a deletion hook which references a specific Post ID. In other words, it’s possible for Restrictions to exist on multiple layers, which may have a reaching impact upon a specific Post.

Question. When this issue affected your installation, did you have any of s2Member’s Alternative Views enabled? Please let me know what settings might have been enabled there, as it may help as we work to resolve this.

Please see: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options -› Alternative View Protection

Posted: Monday Aug 20th, 2012 at 7:42 am #22539
Kevin Vaughn

Under “Alternative View Protection” the “Filter ALL WordPress queries” is checked.

The site does not use dynamic filter suppression.

Posted: Tuesday Aug 21st, 2012 at 7:06 am #22619

Thanks Kevin. I emailed Jason letting him know what you replied. I’ll let you know as soon as I hear back from him, or he may just reply here directly.

Posted: Tuesday Aug 21st, 2012 at 11:35 am #22660
Kevin Vaughn

Thanks Christian, I appreciate this…

Posted: Monday Aug 27th, 2012 at 6:57 pm #23211
Staff Member

Thank you for the reply!

I’m updating our diagnostic report on this, and we’ll continue our attempts to reproduce this. So far I’ve been unsuccessful, even with content filters applied, but we’ll do our best to continue the search.

Posted: Tuesday Aug 28th, 2012 at 10:22 am #23297
Kevin Vaughn

Thank you Jason and thank you for your responsiveness. Best WP plugin developers I have worked with to date…

Posted: Wednesday Aug 29th, 2012 at 7:56 am #23386

Thanks for the kudos, Kevin! :)

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.