latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Translation: How to only change differences

Home Forums Community Forum Translations Translation: How to only change differences

This topic contains 25 replies, has 8 voices. Last updated by  change agent 3 years, 11 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Thursday Mar 15th, 2012 at 10:47 am #8245

Hi,

i´ve translated the s2member.pot to german. Now there is a new s2member version with a new .pot. Do I have to do all the work again? Or is it possible only to translate the new things?

For me it would make sense to translate the whole .pot every time.

Kind regards,
Sebastian

• This topic was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by  Eduan.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Mar 16th, 2012 at 3:08 pm #8396

Hi Sebastian.

You should keep a backup of your translation so you don’t lose it during the udpate. After the update you can apply the translation again.

You can do a diff between the previous and latest pot files in s2Member and see if you need to update anything in your translated one.
http://www.prestosoft.com/edp_examdiff.asp

I hope that helps. :)

Posted: Monday Mar 19th, 2012 at 10:33 am #8530

Hi,

thanks for your answer. It don´t helps me really. With the tool you mention I can compare both POT-Files (my changed one and the original one)

But if I see it right, I´ve to change all again. That would mean for every new version I´ve had to do the same work over and over again…

Other thing is, I can´t find this string in the POT-File: “Math Required! What is the sum of … ” Where can I find it?

Thanks,
Sebastian

Posted: Tuesday Mar 20th, 2012 at 8:06 pm #8664
Staff Member

Hi there. Thanks for your inquiry.

Yes, a good DIFF tool is your best bet.

Regarding this line of text: Math Required! What is the sum of …
That’s not something s2Member introduces anywhere. Perhaps that’s being added by another plugin, or through something you’ve configured in the Dashboard? I can confirm that text is not introduced by the POT file.

Posted: Friday Mar 23rd, 2012 at 5:02 am #8880

Ok, thanks for the anwser. I´ll try it :)

Posted: Friday Mar 23rd, 2012 at 6:31 pm #8964
Eduan
Username: Eduan
Moved this topic to the new translations sub-forum.
Posted: Saturday Mar 24th, 2012 at 4:24 am #9000

Poedit can analyse differences between two versions. You upload your old po file in poedit and ask it to update through the new pot file. Poedit will show you the differences. Problem: Poedit is little buggy in plural forms and I had to adapt the S2member pot file to make it work with (all plural forms need to be translated directly in pot file using Notepad).

Posted: Saturday Mar 24th, 2012 at 5:17 am #9002

Thanks for the tip, Jean-Michel! I didn’t know that editor could do that.

Could you please explain some more what the problem with the plurals is? Is it something we can improve so the editor works well with them?

Posted: Saturday Mar 24th, 2012 at 5:43 am #9003

OK.
You have to change the begin of the .PO file with Notepad (for french users here) to limit buggy behaviour of PoEdit

# Copyright (C) 2010 s2Member® Framework
# This file is distributed under the same license as the s2Member® Framework package.
msgid ""
msgstr ""
"Project-Id-Version: s2Member® Framework 120213\n"
"Report-Msgid-Bugs-To: http://wordpress.org/tag/__s2member\n"
"POT-Creation-Date: 2012-02-14 02:33:18+00:00\n"
"MIME-Version: 1.0\n"
"Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8\n"
"Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit\n"
"PO-Revision-Date: 2012-03-21 15:29+0100\n"
"Last-Translator: Li-An <00@gmail.com>\n"
"Language-Team: Li-An <00@gmail.com>\n"
"X-Poedit-Language: French\n"
"X-Poedit-Country: FRANCE\n"
"Plural-Forms: nplurals=2; plural=n>1;\n"
"X-Poedit-Bookmarks: -1,-1,-1,422,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1\n"

“Plural-Forms: nplurals=2; plural=n>1;\n” is very important here !
After that, always in Notepad (Notepad++), you search in the .PO file for msgid_plural and you complete with your translation like in this example.

#: s2member/includes/classes/utils-time.inc.php:55
msgctxt "s2member-front"
msgid "%s minute"
msgid_plural "%s minutes"
msgstr[0] "%s minute"
msgstr[1] "%s minutes"

When all plural forms are translated (there is not a lot), you can open the .PO file with PoEdit to complete your translation. If plural sentences are not pretranslated, PoEdit will simply fail saying your file is corrupted. The bug is supposed to be corrected … and it’s not.

If you do not try to translate sentences with plural form, PoEdit won’t have problem to generate or upload the po file.

Posted: Saturday Mar 24th, 2012 at 6:05 am #9006

Ah ok, so there’s nothing we can do, as developers, to prevent the problem with PoEdit then, right? It’s something the translator has to be aware of, correct?

Thanks a lot for explaining it!

Posted: Saturday Mar 24th, 2012 at 6:17 am #9007

Yes, the problem is on the plural form and you cannot do anything. You may be add a warning, a readme.txt with the pot file for PoEdit users. The bug is known but PoEdit creator claims it’s solved and it is not. I had to make some heavy Google searches to fix this.

Posted: Saturday Mar 24th, 2012 at 6:21 am #9008

Got it. I really appreciate you took the time to explain it for us. Thank you! :)

Posted: Wednesday Apr 18th, 2012 at 3:06 pm #11142
kati
Username: hifidunn

I have done the translation and now my file does this error. I have tried to find the error and it seems impossible. I cannot open the file now. I have tried to upload the version that I saved, but it seems that s2meber does not recognize it, maybe because it has that error.
Tried to follow the instructions given by Jean michel. But cant make it work.
I have done the translation and spent so many hours trying to make this work.
Can I use another program to open the file or what can I do?
I am really desperate here.
Hope somebody can help.

Posted: Wednesday Apr 18th, 2012 at 3:55 pm #11148

You can look your po file with Notepad or Notepad++.
Alternatives: http://alternativeto.net/software/poedit/

Posted: Thursday Apr 19th, 2012 at 4:18 am #11197
kati

yes, this is what I have done and I have tried to make the changes you posted. But it still gives me the error when I try to open it. I suspect that I have made a mistake somewhere, but cannot figure it out.

There is no tool that can fix a corrupt file? It has to be done manually?

Posted: Thursday Apr 19th, 2012 at 4:27 am #11202
kati

I also tried opening with Better poedit, but I will not open the file either.

Posted: Thursday Apr 19th, 2012 at 4:43 am #11205
kati

There would not happen to be a Danish translation done somewhere?

Posted: Thursday Apr 19th, 2012 at 4:59 am #11209

Did you complete all msgid_plural strings in Notepad before using PoEdit ?

Posted: Friday Apr 20th, 2012 at 4:05 am #11337
kati

No, did the msgid_plural after.
Did not find this thread, before I had the problem with the file.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by  kati.
Posted: Friday Apr 20th, 2012 at 4:08 am #11340

OK, try to follow my explanations. But I must admit I did not try to UPDATE a translation for the moment – next release.

Posted: Friday Apr 20th, 2012 at 4:33 am #11342
kati

I guess the only solution is to start over?

Posted: Friday Apr 20th, 2012 at 4:36 am #11343
kati

@s2member
Could you add this information to http://www.s2member.com/faqs/#s2-faqs-translations
so people do not waste their time translating just to find out the file is no good?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by  kati.
Posted: Friday Apr 20th, 2012 at 4:39 am #11346

I hope that after completing plural forms with Notepad, an update with PoEdit will work. Don’t know and don’t want to try for the moment. If it does not work, you got to use a comparing files freeware like WinMerge but it will need some work… Well, if somebody has a nice and easy solution…

Posted: Friday Jun 1st, 2012 at 2:15 pm #15191

Hi, I also need to do a lot of translation but I like a plugin over Poedit. It is called: Codestyling Localization. See website here: http://www.code-styling.de/english/development/wordpress-plugin-codestyling-localization-en

Does anybody here have experiences with it?

On a sitenote: Is there a .po or .mo file for German or Spanih somebody could share?

Thanks,
Demian

Posted: Monday Jun 4th, 2012 at 3:47 am #15321

I do not use Codestyling Localization anymore: the plugin is nice for simple translation but cannot detect if an already translated sentence is changed in a new version. So, I noticed that some of my translations were incomplete.

Posted: Monday Feb 4th, 2013 at 1:29 pm #40754

Greetings,

Has anybody translated these files in German and would be willing to share them with me?

I have been asked by a friend and would like to help, but am not good in this kind of stuff.

It would be nice…

Change

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.