latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Trial Period only with Coupon

Home Forums Community Forum Trial Period only with Coupon

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 3 years, 3 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Monday Sep 9th, 2013 at 1:12 am #59279

I am trying to offer two membership options: Monthly for $5.95 and Annual for $49.95.

However, I want to offer 90 Days for a $1 with a coupon. Here’s the coupon:
first30|16.85||ta-only

For the monthly I put:
[s2Member-Pro-PayPal-Form level="1" ccaps="" desc="Unlimited access for only $5.95 per month (recurring, cancel anytime)" ps="paypal" lc="" cc="USD" dg="0" ns="1" custom="www.pssportspodcast.com" ta="17.85" tp="90" tt="D" ra="5.95" rp="1" rt="M" rr="1" rrt="" rra="2" accept="paypal" accept_via_paypal="paypal" coupon="" accept_coupons="1" default_country_code="" captcha="0" success="http://www.pssportspodcast.com/success-message" /]

Coupon works great and the user is charged $1 for 90 days and then charged $5.95 per month once the 90 days expires.

For the annual I put:
[s2Member-Pro-PayPal-Form level="1" ccaps="" desc="Unlimited access for only $49.95 per year (recurring, cancel anytime)" ps="paypal" lc="" cc="USD" dg="0" ns="1" custom="www.pssportspodcast.com" ta="17.85" tp="90" tt="D" ra="49.95" rp="1" rt="Y" rr="1" rrt="" rra="2" accept="paypal" accept_via_paypal="paypal" coupon="" accept_coupons="1" default_country_code="" captcha="0" success="http://www.pssportspodcast.com/success-message" /]

In this case, I had a member sign-up WITHOUT using the coupon and they were charged $17.85 for 90 days instead of $49.95 for a year. I thought they would only get the trial terms IF they used a coupon.

Is there a way to only give the trial terms if they use a coupon, otherwise they get the regular terms? Without a coupon I want it to charge them $49.95 for a year.

Thank you!
~Kent

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Wednesday Sep 11th, 2013 at 12:56 am #59439

I’m a paying customer who sunk $129 into software. Can I please get a response?

Posted: Tuesday Sep 17th, 2013 at 2:09 pm #59641
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Kent,

~ Thank you VERY much for your patience.

We are a small team and we’ve been backed up the past week. I apologize for the long delay in getting back to you.

Regarding your question: The Pro Coupon Code is what applies the discount, in your case the $1 trial. If you configure your Pro-Form Shortcode to include a trial, then anyone who signs up via that button/form will automatically get the trail, with or without a coupon.

For your monthly button, as you have the shortcodes configured above, what will happen is those WITHOUT a coupon will be charged $17.85 for the first 90 days, and then charged $5.95/month thereafter (they won’t be charged $5.95 for the first month, but instead will be required to pay 3 months: $17.85). If someone uses the coupon code, then yes, $16.85 will be subtracted from that trial amount and they’ll only pay $1 for the first 3 months.

In your annual button shortcode above, you have a 90-day trial period charged at $17.85, and then an annual payment of $49.95. What will happen here, WITHOUT a coupon, is the person signing up will be charged $17.85 for the first 90 days and then they will be charged $49.95 per year every year thereafter.

If someone uses the first30|16.85||ta-only coupon code when signing up for the annual plan using the shortcode you provided above, then $16.85 will be subtracted from the trial amount of 90-days@$17.85 and they will pay $1 for the first 90-days and then $49.95 every year thereafter.

So, if you want someone to be charged $49.95/year without a coupon code, you must set your trial period to $49.95/year. That way, if they sign up without the coupon code, they’re charged the normal amount. You can then discount that $49.95/year trial period using a coupon code. In the annual case, you might use a coupon code that discounts the trial by $11.31, so they effectively get the first 90 days for $1 and pay the regular amount for the rest of the year.

Posted: Sunday Sep 22nd, 2013 at 2:16 am #59764

Hmm, this is not nearly as flexible as I’d hoped.

I don’t want users without coupons having to pay $17.85 for 3 months, I want them to only pay $5.95/month. So is there no way to both offer 90 days for $1 AND give non-coupon users a $5.95/month rate?

Thank you,
~Kent

Posted: Tuesday Sep 24th, 2013 at 10:58 pm #59827
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

The problem isn’t with the monthly option. As you mentioned, the monthly option works fine. It’s the annual subscription that isn’t working how you’d like and that’s because you’re tying to apply a monthly discount ($1 for 3 months) to an annual subscription ($49.95/year).

It’s not currently possible to apply a monthly discount (i.e., 3 months for $1 and then charge $49.95/year) with a Pro-Coupon code, however you can setup that arrangement by configuring the Pro-Form as such (charge $1 for the first 90 days and then $49.95/year).

What I recommend doing is setting up a special page with a Pro-Form configured to offer that discount and then restrict access to that form by using some embedded PHP code that checks for the presence of a coupon code of your choice. You could have users access that special page by including the coupon code in the URL (see this KB article for an example) or you could create an HTML form with an input box that asks for the coupon code and then use some PHP to validate the code and show the Pro-Form if the code is correct.

Posted: Wednesday Sep 25th, 2013 at 1:59 am #59830

The problem isn’t with the monthly option. As you mentioned, the monthly option works fine.

Well, it works fine according to the s2Member software, but still not the way I thought it would work. I would love to see a feature that allows one deal for people with coupons and another for those without.

Ideally, I want someone with a coupon to get 90 Days for $1. Once 90 Days have expired they get the regular price of $5.95 per month. Those without a coupon get the default $5.95 per month. There seems to be no way to integrate this seemingly simple sign-up option.

Is this correct or am I missing something?

Posted: Wednesday Sep 25th, 2013 at 7:25 am #59864

No, it’s not in the current coupons feature. it just makes adjustments to the amounts, it doesn’t change the parameters of the transaction beyond that. So a coupon can discount the intial or recurring amounts, but it can’t change their terms or periods, for example.

I’m making a note of your feature request and we’ll see how we can improve the coupons so that what you’re asking is then possible. Thank you for the feedback!

In the meantime, you could probably create a customization with a coupon field outside of the pro-form. It’d be a separate HTML form that reloads the page when the coupon is submitted, and based on the coupon, with a conditional, you can use one shortcode or another for the pro-form, so that what is being purchased can be completely different.

I hope that helps. :)

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.