latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

triggering an automatic email to new members

Home Forums Community Forum triggering an automatic email to new members

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Terri 4 years, 7 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Friday Jun 1st, 2012 at 8:57 pm #15220
Terri
Username: tokyoterri

Hi:

A. here’s the client site:

http://few.modernmediajapan.com/

B. here are our membership levels:
Membership Level 0: Community (Non-Registered Member) – haven’t paid yet – no access to community functions
Membership Level 1: Paid Member
Membership Level 2: Board Members
Membership Level 3: SuperAdmin (Pres, VP, Membership, Finance)
Membership Level 4: not used yet – will be for SP & Honorary Members

C. Process:
1. When a person registers, they are automatically at Level 0; they’ll get an email with their password.
2. In that email, they’ll see custom instructions on how to pay for their registration – via cash direct to the organizations’ bank account or in person at the next event they come to.
3. once the admin gets the cash, they’ll mark the invisible fields I’ve created to indicate the payment, type of membership, etc,
4. admin will then change the person’s role to Level 1

Question: where do I trigger an automatic email to the new Level 1 member welcoming them to the site? They’ve already gotten the ‘here are your login details’ email, but I’m not sure how to create another email at the end of the process. ideally, it’ll be automatic when someone’s role changes to Level 2, 3, or 4.

how can I do this, hopefully without having to hire a dev – this is a nonprofit, so the budget is already gone.

Thanks!

best,

Terrio

we can’t use PayPal to administer the membership process.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Saturday Jun 2nd, 2012 at 5:42 am #15246

Hi Terri.

You can use the list server integration with AWeber or MailChimp so the person gets added to a new list when changed to Level 1, and the list would have the welcome email to send immediately to the person.

Or you can try this tip Jason shared some time ago: http://www.primothemes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10368#p33365

I hope that helps. :)

Posted: Sunday Jun 3rd, 2012 at 5:59 pm #15288
Terri

Hi:

I use MadMimi, not the other mail services, so that won’t work.

So, I read through Jason’t thread: I am not a php developer and to be honest, I don’t understand much of what he said, but I made the mu-plugins folder and the s2-hacks.php file and copied this.

<?php
add_filter ("ws_plugin__s2member_modification_email_sbj",
"my_s2_modification_sbj", 10, 2);
function my_s2_modification_sbj ($s2member_default_sbj, $vars = array
())
    {
        return "Thank you! Your account has been updated.";
    }
add_filter ("ws_plugin__s2member_modification_email_msg",
"my_s2_modification_msg", 10, 2);
function my_s2_modification_msg ($s2member_default_msg, $vars = array
())
    {
        return "Thank you! You've been updated to:\n" .
$vars["paypal"]["item_name"] . "\n\nPlease log back in now:\n" .
wp_login_url ();
    }
?>

now what do I do – does this get triggered automatically when the person’s account changes? how do I only make it happen when the update is, specifically, from Level 0-Non-Registered Member upgrading to Level 1 – Paid Member?

Thanks,

Terri

Posted: Sunday Jun 3rd, 2012 at 11:17 pm #15310

I emailed Jason asking him if that hook is triggered when the account is modified manually by the admin.

Posted: Wednesday Jun 6th, 2012 at 7:54 pm #15732
Terri

Hi Jason and Cristián:

Any updates available on this question?

thanks,

Terri

Posted: Thursday Jun 7th, 2012 at 1:39 am #15760

No, sorry, haven’t heard back from him yet. It shouldn’t be much longer now.

Posted: Thursday Jun 7th, 2012 at 12:43 pm #15802
Staff Member

Hi Terry. Thanks for your patience.

3. once the admin gets the cash, they’ll mark the invisible fields I’ve created to indicate the payment, type of membership, etc,
4. admin will then change the person’s role to Level 1

Question: where do I trigger an automatic email to the new Level 1 member welcoming them to the site? They’ve already gotten the ‘here are your login details’ email, but I’m not sure how to create another email at the end of the process. ideally, it’ll be automatic when someone’s role changes to Level 2, 3, or 4.

So you’re collecting cash, and the process for upgrading a paid member, is one that’s completely manual. In cases where you’re handling the upgrade manually, you will also need to send an email manually, or perhaps create a custom plugin that does this for you.

Normally, upon receiving payment, s2Member would send a Signup Confirmation Email, with payment details, and some additional information, which you can customize from the Dashboard. However, when the process occurs manually, emails must also be sent manually I’m afraid.

This is a good point however, and we’ll certainly try to improve upon this in a future release.

Posted: Friday Jun 8th, 2012 at 7:42 pm #15982
Terri

Hi Jason:

I see: okay, so, then I should just remove the upgrade code as it won’t have any meaning then, I’m assuming.

If you can incorporate this into future releases, that would be awesome!

Thanks,

best,
Terri

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.