latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Upgrade corrupts levels

Home Forums Community Forum Upgrade corrupts levels

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years, 6 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Saturday Jun 9th, 2012 at 5:09 am #16047
Nigel
Username: enquirer32

Just upgraded to your latest version and it has corrupted my levels – posts previously marked with a level are no longer as such. BEWARE – do NOT upgrade to this level if you have more than the basic number of levels installed.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Monday Jun 11th, 2012 at 9:20 pm #16176
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Nigel,

Which version of WordPress are you running? Also, which version of s2Member are you referring to? v120608?

Posted: Monday Jun 11th, 2012 at 10:53 pm #16180

Nigel, did you have the Deactivation Safeguards enabled before doing the update? [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› Deactivation Safeguards[/hilite]

What version did you upgrade from?

I’m going to reinstall a previous version, protect some pages and update to the latest again, to see if I can reproduce this.

Posted: Monday Jun 11th, 2012 at 11:17 pm #16184

I just finished testing this and can confirm that I didn’t lose the s2Member configuration after update from 120517 to 120608, with Deactivation Safeguards enabled.

Did you make a backup of your site before the making those changes? Did you try restoring it?

By the way, did you make sure the new s2Member was installed correctly? Do you have s2Member activated in your plugins list and the s2Member menu entries? I ask because some site owners have, in the past, thought that their s2Member protection was lost, but the problem was that the update had not been installed properly, so s2Member wasn’t active.

Posted: Tuesday Jun 12th, 2012 at 6:39 am #16222
Nigel

Wordpress 3.3.2

By updating the framework I initially lost all the additional levels. I then upgraded the module and regained all the levels. But all the levels kicked in the names of the levels was lost and the category protection I had set up was also lost. I wonder if this is because although I had 10 levels I was effectively only using 6 of them?

Posted: Tuesday Jun 12th, 2012 at 9:44 am #16248
Eduan
Username: Eduan

Hello Nigel,

Did you have deactivation safeguards enabled when you upgraded? You can enable them under Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› Deactivation Safeguards.

Try upgrading again, when you enable them.

Please tell me how it goes. ;)

Posted: Tuesday Jun 12th, 2012 at 2:49 pm #16280
Nigel

I have had the safeguards enabled since first installing the plugin.

Posted: Tuesday Jun 12th, 2012 at 10:21 pm #16316
Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up on this request for support.

By updating the framework I initially lost all the additional levels. I then upgraded the module and regained all the levels. But all the levels kicked in the names of the levels was lost and the category protection I had set up was also lost. I wonder if this is because although I had 10 levels I was effectively only using 6 of them?

I found a way to reproduce this. While I can’t really classify this as a bug, it does create some confusion. We’re working to prevent this in future releases of s2Member X (the next generation of s2Member, coming soon).

Until then, here is an explanation of what’s going on…

The issue:

When you initially upgrade the s2Member Framework, you are left with only the s2Member Framework running, even if s2Member Pro was installed previously. This is because upgrading the s2Member Framework, also requires an immediate upgrade of s2Member Pro as well (in order to keep both applications at the same version, and running smoothly on your installation).

Currently, this is a two step process. You first upgrade the s2Member Framework (which comes from WordPress.org, via the plugins directory). Then s2Member will give you a notice in the Dashboard, that your s2Member Pro add-on needs to be upgraded as well.

Until the s2Member Pro add-on is also upgraded, you will be left without the functionality of the s2Member Pro add-on. Since the s2Member Pro add-on is what makes additional Membership Levels (beyond the 4 that come with the free version) possible; you are left with only 4 Membership Levels (initially).

Upgrading both the s2Member Framework, and also the s2Member Pro add-on, restores all previous functionality and configuration; and nothing is lost. However, it can appear that some data has been lost during the upgrade process, while the s2Member Pro add-on you had installed previously, is awaiting an upgrade.

Solution:

Upgrade both the s2Member Framework, and the s2Member Pro add-on; then run your tests again to ensure all configuration and functionality remains as it was.
Posted: Wednesday Jun 13th, 2012 at 9:12 am #16377
Nigel

Yes, I appreciate this response but it doesn’t exactly reflect my experience. For whatever reason, maybe there are lots, I lost my category protections…

Posted: Thursday Jun 14th, 2012 at 5:55 am #16425

Nigel, what level was your category protected at? Higher than 4?

Posted: Thursday Jun 14th, 2012 at 6:38 am #16429
Nigel

can’t remember now but was either 5 or 9 – top category 10.

Posted: Thursday Jun 14th, 2012 at 6:46 am #16430

I see.

I just tested having 10 levels, adding a category restriction at each one, and then removing s2Member Pro, refreshed the restrictions page, and added Pro back. I refreshed the restrictions page once more and all the Category restrictions up to level 10 were still there. So I couldn’t reproduce your problem yet.

Would you send your login info via the contact form to take a look at what you have? s2Member® » Private Contact Form

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.