latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Upgrading Members & PayPal ERP

Home Forums Community Forum Upgrading Members & PayPal ERP

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Jason (Lead Developer) 4 years, 7 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Monday May 28th, 2012 at 8:48 am #14810

I know that the user has to be manually refunded when they decide to cancel when they pay with credit card through the paypal gateway with ERP enabled. What happens when a user upgrades from the level one subscription to level two subscription?

I decided to create my user access types by billing cycle, ie level one is “Monthly Billing Cycle”, level two is “Quarterly Billing Cycle”, etc. That was I know exactly what kind of billing cycle the user is on and can see when the next billing cycle if they don’t have an EOT.

In this situation a user can upgrade from a monthly subscription to a quarterly subscription. What happens when they decide to make this upgrade, and they previously paid with a credit card through the paypal gateway with ERP enabled? Will they keep on getting billed from their previous subscription, as well as the new one (if I don’t cancel this manually)?

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Tuesday May 29th, 2012 at 3:45 am #14851
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Richard,

If you use s2Member’s Billing Modification form, then when an upgrade/downgrade happens, s2Member will tell PayPal to cancel the previous subscription and then s2Member will create a new PayPal subscription with the upgraded price/term.

Posted: Tuesday May 29th, 2012 at 3:59 am #14856

Thanks for the response.

So this is the case, even if they payed through paypal ERP? Because they don’t have a paypal account to access, so I am a bit worried.

Posted: Tuesday May 29th, 2012 at 4:34 am #14863
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Richard,

Apologies for not being clear. As far as I know, this limitation, which is imposed by PayPal itself, still exists and ERP subscriptions must be cancelled manually.

You may have already seen this thread, but it contains further information on this topic (while it is slightly dated, I haven’t heard anything new on this topic since that thread).

I’m sending a message to the lead developer to double-check that this is still the case with ERP cancellations. Thank you for your patience.

Posted: Tuesday May 29th, 2012 at 10:39 pm #14891

So I would have to manually cancel the user before they upgrade/downgrade?

Posted: Wednesday May 30th, 2012 at 9:25 am #14933
Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up on this request for support.

So I would have to manually cancel the user before they upgrade/downgrade?

Regarding this limitation that exists in the PayPal® ERP service itself…
The limitation affects a customer’s ability to cancel their own paid subscription. That is, with the ERP service, your customer has no PayPal account to log into, in which to cancel future charges. Therefore, the customer’s only method of cancelling a subscription that was paid for through the ERP service, is to contact the site owner directly. Again, this is a limitation of the PayPal ERP service itself, and it’s one of the reasons why we recommend using PayPal Pro instead, or even PayPal® Standard (without ERP enabled), would also avoid this concern.

If a customer upgrades/downgrades their paid subscription, you will need to manually cancel any existing charges that were previously associated with a former paid subscription. While it’s true that s2Member sends all of the data through the upgrade/downgrade process, in order for PayPal to make the changes required; since the customer is not actually associated with any account at PayPal, the upgrade/downgrade process will not cancel and/or modify existing charges on the PayPal® side of things, it must be done manually.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.