latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE for digital/vid downloads

Home Forums Community Forum VERY IMPORTANT NOTE for digital/vid downloads

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Jason (Lead Developer) 3 years, 11 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Friday Feb 1st, 2013 at 4:34 pm #40309

I wanted to pass this on to anyone providing video downloads to your customers. I’ve spent the last month with big issues distributing specifically .MP4 downloads through Amazon S3.

You need to remove MP4 from the default inline downloads box in Download Options>Inline File Extensions. As soon as you make that change S2Member will immediately begin protecting the download instead of serving it inline.

I hope that helps some of you!

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Sunday Feb 3rd, 2013 at 3:43 am #40533
Staff Member

Thanks for reporting this important issue.

I’m not sure I understand what you mean here.

S2Member will immediately begin protecting the download instead of serving it inline.

I’m not aware of any bug that would cause this. However, if you have indeed discovered a bug, please report it with some additional detail so we can get this corrected. Thanks!

Posted: Sunday Feb 3rd, 2013 at 2:36 pm #40564

Hi Jason,

No bug report… Just user oversight. The default list of inline files included MP4, which is one of our main downloads. I never thought to look at that list, but if I had, I would have saved a lot of time and research.

Just wanted to save other users some time if they’ve had a similar problem.

Thanks!
Jordan

Posted: Monday Feb 4th, 2013 at 12:56 pm #40743
Staff Member

Thanks for your reply :-)

OK. So just to confirm the following statement please…

You need to remove MP4 from the default inline downloads box in Download Options>Inline File Extensions. As soon as you make that change S2Member will immediately begin protecting the download instead of serving it inline.

What was happening is that s2Member® was serving the file inline (but you wanted it distributed as an actual file “download”). In other words, you wanted a prompt to come up with a File Save dialog window, is that correct?

Just to point out, s2Member® will serve files either way; and either way, the file is still protected. It’s just the difference between how it’s served in a browser (i.e. inline or as an actual download).

Posted: Monday Feb 4th, 2013 at 1:00 pm #40745

Hi again Jason,

Yes, we wanted the action of a button click to open a download dialogue box. We serve two file types, .MP4 and .WMV through S3. Customers would click .WMV videos and it would allow them to download. .MP4 files would start playing (inline), and was confusing to customers. Sometimes, their browser would crash playing the large videos inline.

So, by removing that from the inline extension list, it acts exactly like it should for us.

Thanks for your interest. I was hoping posting this may help others.

Best,
Jordan

Posted: Monday Feb 4th, 2013 at 1:40 pm #40759
Staff Member

Excellent. Thank you for confirming this.

Yes, I hope that it does help others.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.