latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Video Subscription Site Question

Home Forums Community Forum Video Subscription Site Question

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  cassel 3 years, 1 month ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Monday Dec 2nd, 2013 at 5:43 pm #61576

Hello,

Putting together a video tutoring subscription site and was wondering if this plugin had the capability of this example site….. thattutorguy.com

I essentially need a page that displays videos that are available to watch only after becoming a member. I have looked at woo commerce + groups + subscriptions but that is a $279 option and I am just unsure of exactly what I need to accomplish my task.

Can this plugin help me set up a site exactly like thattutorguy.com?

Do I make a page and each video is a post or do I make a page and embed each video?

Any help is appreciated. I tried a search but I just don’t know the lingo well enough yet to be effective.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Monday Dec 2nd, 2013 at 10:49 pm #61579
cassel
Username: cassel

I have a site with a couple of hundreds of video tutorials. S2Member is perfect for that (even the free version so you can test it).

You would likely have to create a page per video, unless you have a few that go together, in which case you would protect the whole content (you access it or you don’t).

There are different ways you can go about displaying and protecting content. I am using a few but there are more.
– once a member is registered and logged in, I set up a My Account page where it displays all the classes available (in greyscale) and the classes they HAVE access (in colors)
– once a member has paid for one course that has dripped content, I have an “index” page with a thumbnail of all the tutorials available as they become available; so if you start, you have 22 thumbnails, after 2 years, you have over a hundred, and they are linked to the individual video tutorials (you cannot see it as it is only when enrolled)
– you can also have several videos on the same page and using the conditionals, you can display either a sale pitch, or the actual videos (check out the Calendar Class)
– you can have different content displayed depending on the viewer’s status: I have a big sale pitch if you are not logged in; a free tutorial but an upsell pitch if you are logged in without having purchased the package; or the video and the download links if you purchased the package (check out the first Master Class)

You can check on my site: http://scrapbookcampus.com and browse around. S2Member is pretty powerful and should be able to meet your needs.

Posted: Tuesday Dec 3rd, 2013 at 9:17 am #61586

Bruce,

You might consider hosting your videos on Vimeo.com as well. Their pro subscriptions allow some pretty nifty privacy settings for protecting your video content. We are using this on one of our client sites and it’s working great!

Posted: Tuesday Dec 3rd, 2013 at 3:24 pm #61592
cassel

Yes, you don’t have to store all the videos on your host through the s2m installation. I host mine on AmazonS3 and I have not yet paid more than $5 (although it depends on the useable and bandwidth).

Posted: Tuesday Dec 3rd, 2013 at 4:54 pm #61598

I have a vimeo pro account as that seems to be one of the more popular ways to go. I think my question stems more from the perspective of implementation.

Here are two pictures that I have annotated from the example site I listed above.

First Image

Second image

I am trying to figure out how I should display the videos. I don’t think I know the programming/website lingo well enough yet to pose my question appropriately. I am familiar enough with HTML and CSS and PHP, but I just don’t have the skills to apply it yet.

I don’t know how to organize the videos on my site and how to set it up where subscribers see the videos are there but cannot watch them until they are logged in.

Should I create a post for each video and display them or just create a page template and embed the videos.

Posted: Tuesday Dec 3rd, 2013 at 5:47 pm #61599
cassel

OK Bruce. As far as coding is concerned, I am not a coder which is why I use a web editor to create my “formatting” and then copy and paste it! Would you have access to a simple web editor that works a little like a text editor where you can format the way you want, and then, copy the code?

From the images you posted, I would suggest you create individual pages:
– the INDEX page (or the table of content) can be one page and it can be visible only for logged in members for example using conditionals
– then, each video/lesson can be on a separate page, linked to the index page and again, protected with conditionals so only those registered to them can access them.

I would suggest you check out my site and subscribe, at least to see how I have set my videos (that you can see in the Master Classes section). It is pretty easy once you have a “format”, you can just reuse it over and over again.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.