latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Which license to purchase?

Home Forums Community Forum Which license to purchase?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Raam Dev 4 years, 7 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Thursday May 17th, 2012 at 10:24 am #13774

Hi, I am working on a site with tutorials on various aspects of professional development for musicians with paid access to premium content but I am not sure which license to purchase.
My initial idea was to create a multisite network with each sub-site dedicated to one particular instrument:

– drums.maindomain.com
– piano.maindomain.com
– guitar.maindomain.com
– etc.

Since there is a little chance that let’s say a drummer would be interested in developing his piano skills such scheme would fit perfectly with s2Mebmer working independently within the scope of each sub-blog.

The problem though is there are some important businesses topics that concern all musicians, and need to be within the reach of all paying members, regardless the instrument. Therefore I am also considering a single blog with custom post types but I fear this might cause the overall site structure to be too complex…

So far my answer would still be the multisite with exactly the same bits of business related content in each sub-blog member’s area, but I would like to find a more elegant solution.
So, I am wondering if someone could point me into the right direction ;) Thanks…

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday May 18th, 2012 at 6:48 am #13859

Hi Will.

Well, if you’re using multisite, but not giving blogs to the users, you’ll need the Unlimited Sites license. If you, instead, have all in one blog, then the Single Site license would be enough.

I can see why you’d like to use multisite to organize the content, but I also think that a single site with the content in categories, or properly tagged, could work well too.

To manage the access, you could use s2Member’s custom capabilities. Video » s2Member (Custom Capabilities)

I hope that helps. :)

Posted: Monday May 21st, 2012 at 4:28 am #14058

Thanks for the prompt reply, Cristián.

It really helped a lot!
The single blog scheme with custom capabilities is starting to look like the way to go, especially in the initial stages.
Nevertheless, if this was the case, would it still be possible to migrate existing paying subscribers to a multisite installation, if needed?

Posted: Tuesday May 22nd, 2012 at 2:21 am #14161
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Will,

Yes, you can migrate paying users to a multisite installation in the future if needed.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.