latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

2 pre-sale questions

Home Forums Community Forum 2 pre-sale questions

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  George Jerome 3 years, 7 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Saturday Jun 1st, 2013 at 8:47 pm #51150

1) Does s2Member require any coding? I have zero html experience, and no time to learn it.

2) I cannot locate a chart of free vs pro features and functions, even though several forum posts mention it. I will install the free version, if no coding is required, then upgrade to pro as soon as I see that it works for my needs.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Saturday Jun 1st, 2013 at 11:42 pm #51152
cassel
Username: cassel

1- s2Member can be used without any previous coding experience. Most of the settings are done in the backend of the site. Then, if you want to use some more advanced features, you might use some “coding” but it is not really html coding (I am personally “allergic” to html!), but the explanations are quite clear and you can always ask here if you are stuck.

2- the pro version has these additional features (from what I remember):
– pro-forms for purchasing, instead of only buttons, allowing the purchase to be done on site
– login/register widget that allows registration without having to go to another page
– discount coupons
– more gateways than just Paypal

You can do most things with the free version of s2M. Give it a try!

Posted: Tuesday Jun 4th, 2013 at 4:24 am #51275
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Thank you for your inquiry.

1) Does s2Member require any coding? I have zero html experience, and no time to learn it.

As cassel mentioned, s2Member does not require any coding experience to set up its core features. That being said, s2Member is designed to be very flexible, and gives room for developers to come in and do specific things with code. If you’re just looking to set up regular membership, you shouldn’t run into any problems. However to do advanced things with s2Member small amounts of PHP may be necessary.

2) I cannot locate a chart of free vs pro features and functions, even though several forum posts mention it. I will install the free version, if no coding is required, then upgrade to pro as soon as I see that it works for my needs.

You can find that here: Features

Posted: Tuesday Jun 4th, 2013 at 12:14 pm #51334

Bruce, thank you for your input. I am trying to set up a relatively simple paid subscription part of my web site. You say that I “shouldn’t run into any problems” – in fact, I have run into nothing but problems.
I cannot control what page is the landing page – right now it is the members options page.
I want to remove the “edit” link found on all pages – can’t find a way to do that.
I want to remove the meta links on the right hand panel – can’t find a way to do that.
I want to add graphics, buttons, links, etc on a page. How to do that? Is there flexibility to place things where I want, or am I trapped to a fixed layout?
etc, etc.
While there are many controls in the program, it appears that the controls allowing for changing what is on a page is scant. The videos talk about installing the framework, and then jump into the pro version [I understand that is what you sell, but you can’t “sell” me unless I can get the basics working] without explaining much about how to control the pages.
I have been playing with this for several days, and so far I am not even close to a working system.

Bruce, plus a little thing. In this world of instant everything, I posted the original questions on June 1. You responded on June 4. Most people give up on tech support by that time.

Posted: Tuesday Jun 4th, 2013 at 12:59 pm #51337
cassel

I want to remove the “edit” link found on all pages – can’t find a way to do that.
I want to remove the meta links on the right hand panel – can’t find a way to do that.

I think those are WP settings and not s2M. Not 100% sure, but those appeared on another site of mine even without s2M.

I want to add graphics, buttons, links, etc on a page. How to do that? Is there flexibility to place things where I want, or am I trapped to a fixed layout?

You can do anything you want on your page. S2M does not limit the format, really. I use a webeditor, and then copy the code into the page. I do have also a theme that allows me to add that code into blocks, but again, that has nothing to do with s2M itself. S2M does not provide templates of any kind so you are not stuck with a set format.

Bruce, plus a little thing. In this world of instant everything, I posted the original questions on June 1. You responded on June 4. Most people give up on tech support by that time.

Tech support is not usually available over the weekend. Only occasionally will tech support visit on weekend. Otherwise, it is only ordinary s2M users who might respond. Unfortunately, your first post was on a Saturday. Annoying, i know but that would be a likely explanation for the delay.

Posted: Tuesday Jun 4th, 2013 at 1:05 pm #51338

Oh!. Then maybe I am looking in the wrong places. I will look into how much WP will allow me to modify s2M generated pages.
I looked at Headway. I guess if WP and s2 are free [until I buy the pro version of s2M] I can afford to spring for Headway. It looks like you get a lot of flexibility with that.

Thanks again for your help, Cassel.
George

Posted: Tuesday Jun 4th, 2013 at 1:15 pm #51341
cassel

If you want to look into the Headway Theme, you can click on the affiliate link on my site! ;)

And looking in the wrong place for something, is definitely something common (at first, i didn`t even know the difference between a plugin and a widget!), so it is by asking questions that you end up figuring things out.

Posted: Tuesday Jun 4th, 2013 at 5:44 pm #51359

Thanks, Cassel. Most definitely, if you are a Headway affiliate, I will take that route. I need first to get the present kinks ironed out, then I will get into making the site more appealing.
Regards,
George

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.