latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Amazon s3 issues

Home Forums Community Forum Amazon s3 issues

This topic contains 30 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Bruce 3 years, 6 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Friday Jun 21st, 2013 at 6:31 am #52322

Hello,

I just decided to put my protected videos on Amazon S3 + cloudfront.
The weirdest thing is happening: Sometimes the video is loading perfectly well, but sometimes the video just wont show up (no player, no nothing. Only an empty space where the player should be).

Here is the code I’m using:

[s2Stream player="jwplayer-v6-rtmp" player_path="/jwplayer/jwplayer.js" player_width="520" player_height="320" file_download="alavoleeexp.mp4" /]

So it can show up one time, then after refresh it will show the empty space. Then again after a few refresh, it could show the video again…

Just to add that IF the video is showing up, then there are no issues with the streaming.

Hope you could help!

Thanks in advance!
Emmanuel

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Jun 21st, 2013 at 7:09 am #52329
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Thank you for reporting this important issue.

I’d recommend turning on logging on your installation, and see if there is something causing a connection failure in your HTTP logs.

See: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Log Files (Debug) -› Logging Configuration

This isn’t something I’d heard of before, you might also check for JavaScript errors on the page that you’re using JW Player on by opening your browser’s console (f12 on most browsers).

Posted: Friday Jun 21st, 2013 at 7:36 am #52333

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for your reply.
I enabled logging configuration as you suggested, then I refreshed the page a couple of times to log the issue.
But to be honest I don’t really know what to look at. Could you help me out with this? Maybe I could give you a login or something?

Thanks again!
Emmanuel

Posted: Friday Jun 21st, 2013 at 11:09 pm #52357
Bruce
Staff Member

Thanks for the info. What you’re looking for is any 50* or 40* responses from Amazon’s connections. I’d be happy to take a quick look at what you’re getting back. Could you send that info here:

s2Member® » Private Contact Form

Let us know when you’ve done that so we can review it.

Posted: Saturday Jun 22nd, 2013 at 4:58 am #52372

Hello,

Thanks a lot! I sent my credentials.

You can find the issue on this post: http://www.tourdecartes.com/archives/16119
(please login with my credentials to have access)

Best regards,
Emmanuel

Posted: Saturday Jun 22nd, 2013 at 11:43 pm #52404

Thanks, got the email.

I only see the YouTube player, not the JW Player, not even an empty space, although it’s there in the source code.

I tried changing the post a bit and preview it, but no change is shown (probably a cache thing), so it’s hard for me to tell what’s preventing the player from being displayed.

Could you please try all these? Knowledge Base » Common Troubleshooting Tips

Posted: Sunday Jun 23rd, 2013 at 9:27 am #52438

Hello,

To see the JW player you will need to toggle down the “Resolution” window (by clicking on it).

Posted: Monday Jun 24th, 2013 at 8:13 am #52458

Hello again,

Since I cannot troubleshoot properly the issue (I cannot disable all plugins, ect), I tried to set up Amazon again…
Bad call.

Now I receive the error message:
Unable to auto-configure Amazon® CloudFront Distributions.
Error code: 307. Error Message: Unable to update existing Amazon® S3 ACLs. Unable to acquire existing Amazon® S3 Bucket ACLs. Temporary Redirect

I followed the steps written here: http://www.s2member.com/kb/reset-the-amazon-s3-cloudfront-integration/
But no chances.

I would really appreciate help on this issue cause I need to put my tutorials on S3 asap for security reasons.
Please heeeelp :/

Posted: Monday Jun 24th, 2013 at 6:34 pm #52474
Bruce
Staff Member

Since I cannot troubleshoot properly the issue (I cannot disable all plugins, ect), I tried to set up Amazon again…
Bad call.

Sorry to hear that. Your error is coming from your CloudFront integration. Were you able to set up just Amazon s3 by itself okay? Try just integrating with your Bucket without CloudFront and see if you can download files reliably that way.

I’m thinking perhaps it’s your server’s connections through CloudFront that’s causing your issues.

Posted: Tuesday Jun 25th, 2013 at 4:24 pm #52552

Hello,

Thanks for your answer.
Nop, I only integrated S3 and it gives me a “file not found” error on JW (buket and file names are correct). – and the same error mentioned previously continues (JW loading 1 time out of 5).

Posted: Tuesday Jun 25th, 2013 at 4:37 pm #52553

BTW I deleted the “crossdomain.xml” along with my previous bucket. Maybe that part of the issue?

Posted: Tuesday Jun 25th, 2013 at 11:16 pm #52577
Bruce
Staff Member

Nop, I only integrated S3 and it gives me a “file not found” error on JW (buket and file names are correct). – and the same error mentioned previously continues (JW loading 1 time out of 5).

I see. So the issue is probably not with CloudFront then, but just the connection to Amazon overall. Is it okay for me to run a few tests and check out your logs while you don’t have CloudFront set up?

Posted: Wednesday Jun 26th, 2013 at 4:50 am #52583

Please do :)
Do you need me to send my details again?

Posted: Wednesday Jun 26th, 2013 at 4:54 am #52584
Bruce
Staff Member

Thanks.

Do you need me to send my details again?

I have the details you sent still. I’m going to take a look now. I’m not sure if I’m going to be able to find anything specific here, but I should be able to rule out any obvious stuff. If I can’t find the problem looking through your logs you’re going to have to ask your hosting company about why your connections to Amazon might be failing.

I set up an S3 Bucket earlier today to test this out again, and it worked perfectly when I set it up so it doesn’t look like this is a widespread issue.

Just a heads up: I’m also going to briefly install the s2Member® Server Scanner to see if that yields any information on why this might be happening. I’ll do this after I look at your logs, so let me know if there’s a problem with my doing that. :-)

Posted: Wednesday Jun 26th, 2013 at 5:00 am #52585

Hi,

Not at all, please do what you need. I really needs this to work to start taking off youtube videos from my site.
Let me know if you need any additional info from me.

Thanks again!!

Posted: Wednesday Jun 26th, 2013 at 5:11 am #52586
Bruce
Staff Member

Alright, thanks for your patience.

I’m looking at your logs and it looks like when the video fails, it fails before a request for the video is ever made. Looking through the forums for JW Player, it looks like this is usually caused by a conflict with other things on your site, or invalid HTML around the player.

I’m going to run the server scanner now and take a look at that before we move forward.

Posted: Wednesday Jun 26th, 2013 at 5:14 am #52587
Bruce
Staff Member

Sorry, I’m attempting to connect via FTP and the credentials you gave me aren’t working. I’m failing to connect to the server with these credentials. Is there something else I need to do to connect, or can you send us the correct credentials?

s2Member® » Private Contact Form

Posted: Wednesday Jun 26th, 2013 at 5:21 am #52588

Hi I resubmitted my infos. Normally it should work now.

Posted: Wednesday Jun 26th, 2013 at 5:22 am #52589
Bruce
Staff Member

Hi I resubmitted my infos. Normally it should work now.

Perfect, thanks!

Posted: Wednesday Jun 26th, 2013 at 5:35 am #52590
Bruce
Staff Member

Okay, thanks for your patience.

I ran the Server Scanner, all greens except for your memory which is just showing a Warning. You might consider upping your Memory (you can do that automatically if you run the scanner yourself here: s2Member® Server Scanner).

At this point I’m thinking this likely has something to do with a conflict from another plugin/your theme that’s causing an error with JW Player. I’m going to have to ask you to put your site into a Maintenance Mode, like with this plugin, and disable all plugins except s2Member, and revert to a default WordPress theme to see if you can get JW Player to load up correctly that way.

If that’s still not working, then it has to be something to do with your server’s connection to Amazon. Try that, then if you still can’t get it to work, contact your server provider and ask them what might be happening. It looks to me like you have s2Member set up correctly, and I can’t find any fault past that. I’m very sorry for the inconvenience and the time this has taken.

Posted: Wednesday Jun 26th, 2013 at 5:50 am #52593

If I turn off all plugins, Im talking the risk to lose some important data… And same goes with the theme, I might lose all my settings.. Is that right?

Posted: Wednesday Jun 26th, 2013 at 5:52 am #52594
Bruce
Staff Member

If I turn off all plugins, Im talking the risk to lose some important data… And same goes with the theme, I might lose all my settings.. Is that right?

Hm, I don’t think you would. You might consider backing up your site before you do so, though.

This article that Cristian linked earlier goes over some of the best ways to debug your site for things like this. I’d strongly recommend reading this to find your issue here:

Knowledge Base » Common Troubleshooting Tips

Posted: Wednesday Jun 26th, 2013 at 5:53 am #52595

Ok, I’ll do that and get back to you once done.

Thanks a lot for the help :)

Posted: Wednesday Jun 26th, 2013 at 9:03 am #52607

Hello,

I did troubleshoot it and apparently my theme was preventing the JW player to load properly.
Now there is still an issue with the configuration with S3. Even though the JW player loads every time with the new theme, it still gives me an error “file not found”

I tried creating a new bucket and cut/pasting all my files in the new bucket, then changed the name of the bucket in S2M but it still didn’t work.

I don’t believe that it’s coming from a plugin because I turned everything off and it still had the same issue. It started happening once I tried to reset the integration. It didn’t happened at all the first time I set up amazon + cloudfront.

Any idea?

Posted: Thursday Jun 27th, 2013 at 2:59 am #52644
Bruce
Staff Member

Sorry about the delay in response.

I don’t believe that it’s coming from a plugin because I turned everything off and it still had the same issue. It started happening once I tried to reset the integration. It didn’t happened at all the first time I set up amazon + cloudfront.

Yes I agree this is probably not a problem with plugins. I’m glad to hear that you found the source of issue, now you’ll have to figure out what part of your theme is causing this. I’d contact your theme developer about it.

As for your Amazon integration, I took another look at your integration, and it looks like you still have your Cloudfront information input here:

Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Download Options -› Amazon® S3/CloudFront CDN Storage

Did you fix the issue or is that an accident? That could be causing your issue.

Posted: Thursday Jun 27th, 2013 at 3:47 am #52659

Hello,

I managed to fix the S3 issue.
I needed to create a new bucket and upload again all my files to that new bucket (instead of cuting and pasting it from another bucket). The amazon S3 integration now works.

I then tried to add cloudfront but I got a error 400. Cloudfront still cannot integrate. Is there a way to reset my cloudfront straight on amazon?

Regarding the displaying of JW player, the theme developers told me to add “.fluid-width-video-wrapper { position: static !important; }” in my css file. It does fix the JW player issue but then create a pb with all my youtube videos embedded on the site. – I know it’s not because of S2member but maybe you have an idea on how to fix that…

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.