latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

ccaps free vs pro version

Home Forums Community Forum ccaps free vs pro version

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Ann Castro 4 years ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Sunday Jan 6th, 2013 at 3:16 am #36371

Hi, I have installed the free version and am implementing ccaps.

I am running into problems and am wondering if it is because I am only using the free version and if it would be resolved by switching to the pro version (Which I might do anyway at a later point because I want to use the forms – am simply not there yet)

It says in the video & documentation that several ccaps can be used with comma delimiters.

So I have product 1, product 2 … etc set up and a full membership with access to all products. ccaps are for example product1,product2,all

Each product consists of several pages and here comes the problem. When in the edit-page I set several ccaps the ccaps won’t work at all anymore.

eg Pagex should be accessed by product1 & all

when I put in its ccap field product1,all then enither of them can access the page. However if I enter only one ccap eg product1 then product1 clients can access it without problems.

In summary there seems to be an issue with using multiple ccaps comma delimited for pages. Is this a free version issue which will be fixed by using the pro-version?

ps. Is it possible to buy the pro-version to get access to your support, but then get support on the installed freee version until I get around to installing the pro-version?? :-)

Thanks,
Anna.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Sunday Jan 6th, 2013 at 1:00 pm #36387
cassel
Username: cassel

There is no difference in the use of ccaps with the free or the pro version of s2M.

Yes, you can use multiple ccaps on the product side or the member side. If you have 2 ccaps on the product side, then the member has to have them both to access the content. If you want to group products while some products might be part of different “packages”, you would be better to use them on the “member” side instead of adding them to the top right of the page as a ccap for the page itself (when you add a page).

For example, if you have 3 products (Pr1, Pr2, Pr3) and want to sell 3 different packages (Pq1, Pq2, Pq3), you can organize things like this:
– Pq1 = Pr1 + Pr2
– Pq2 = Pr2 + Pr3
– Pq3 = Pr1 + Pr3

So, when you sell Pq1, you will include the Pr1 and Pr2 to the paypal button so the member will have access to those two ccaps.
But on the product pages, you only assign one ccap each, whether it is Pr1, Pr2 or Pr3. That way, the member who purchases Package 3 will get access to the Product1, and Product3, as soon as they get on that page.

It might sound complicated because of my explanation. Maybe someone else would be able to explain differently.

Posted: Sunday Jan 6th, 2013 at 1:20 pm #36389

Hi & Thank you for the explanation.

The way you describe it gets impossible to manage unless you have a static product range which would be unusual. I wonder if the creators of s2members would really have it set-up that way especially since the description says otherwise.

Let me explain what I mean:

If you have a user group that should have always access to all products, and if you were then to add a new product you’d have to manually edit each full membership user and add the ccap for the new product to each user’s ccap list.

I cannot imagine that this is the way to do it.

That is why I’d want to have a “catchall” ccap added to each product. So product 1 would have ccap “product1” for people who buy that product, but also ccap “all” for the users that have the full membership and therefore access to all products.

According to description it should work by inserting “product1,all” (quotation marks just added for legibility and not used in the set-up!) into the ccap box of the pages associated with Product 1.

Except when I do that the page access is lost for everyone. That is neider users with ccap “product1” not users with ccap “all” can access that page.

That’s why I had the thought that maybe the free version is limited to one ccap per page???

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by  Ann Castro.
Posted: Sunday Jan 6th, 2013 at 10:51 pm #36410
cassel

Hum… honestly, i have never used the “all”, so it is possible that it has yet another function that i didn’t know. However, yu can use conditionals with the ccaps instead of protecting the pages with the ccap box. For example, i have workshops that are sold separately. They are named by the month (jan12, feb12 and so on), but i also have a full membershp that includes all the workshops (including the future ones).

So if a customer comes and buys one workshop, he will get the ccap “jan12” or “feb12”, etc.
If a customer comes and buys a whole package, he will get the ccap “workshop”.
Those are assigned to the members and not the page.
On top of the page for the January workshop, i would use conditional like this:

[s2If current_user_can(access_s2member_ccap_jan12) OR current_user_can(access_s2member_ccap_workshop)]
    Display the workshop for January 12, which will be accessible to anyone who bought "jan12" or anyone who bought "workshop".
[/s2If]

That way, you dont have to edit members’ ccaps all the time (which obviously would not make sense as you say). Notice that the pages will not be protected with a ccap in the ccap box, but only in the conditional that will be on the page itself.

I personally would be unconfortable using the “all” if it includes all the pages and posts since i might change my mind later and want to offer something that would not be i the membership and then i would be stuck. But that is just me.

Hope this solution is clearer and meets your need better.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by  cassel.
Posted: Monday Jan 7th, 2013 at 1:40 am #36418

Hi Cassel & thank you very much for your response.

Yes, I could do it as a conditional. But, the ccaps box is supposed to do exactly that and send people who do not have the right ccap to the “Membership Options Page”.

I would prefer to find out why the comma delimiter is not working (bug or user error) than to circumvent it. Because if it worked it is far easier with less room for error than to plonk a conditional onto more than a hundred workshop pages.

One interesting point you raise is that you think “all” may be a function. I did not mean it to be one. It was just another ccap. I could have just as easily used “workshop” instead of the word “all”.

Could you do me a favour and on your installation on a page try to use two ccaps with the comma delimiter and see if it works? This way we could test if it was a problem with me / my installation or really a bug.

Thank you,
Anna.

Posted: Monday Jan 7th, 2013 at 2:16 am #36420

ohhhh … I just found the answer:
http://www.s2member.com/forums/topic/require-custom-capabilities-metabox-issue/
“The ccaps in the metabox of the post will all be required to access the page, they aren’t one or the other, they are one and the other.”

Drat. This means I have to put a conditional into each and every page. :-(

Posted: Monday Jan 7th, 2013 at 6:10 am #36445
cassel

This is what i thought too. However, adding a condition to each page is not more work than adding a ccap to the box for each page.

Good luck.

Posted: Monday Jan 7th, 2013 at 6:14 am #36446

Yeah I know what you mean, Cassel. But still “messy” code on each page or one word in a separate box. :-)

It’s a girl’s thing. :-D

Thank you so much though for all your help. :-)

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.