latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Content Dripping by Date

Home Forums Community Forum Content Dripping by Date

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  cassel 3 years, 2 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Wednesday Oct 9th, 2013 at 8:03 pm #60252

Hello!

We are very happy with all the functionality with s2Member, and enjoy using across multiple sites.

We are wanting to drip content out by date, so that a registered paid user at level 1 will get the content immediately, and then one week later the same content will become available to users at level 0.

How do we go about this? I was hoping there would be a shortcode function that would assist with this, but my research has turned up nil. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

-Thomas

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Sunday Oct 13th, 2013 at 7:54 pm #60330
N. Lee
Username: grant

Did you take a look in your dashboard on your site..

API / Scripting -> S2 Member Content Dripping
Posted: Monday Oct 14th, 2013 at 12:17 pm #60348

Perhaps i didn’t explain this well enough, sorry for the confusion.

We are going to be releasing 5-10 posts per day at user level 1, and out of that group 1 post will be available to user group 0.

we would like for the content that was made available to user group 1 in week 1 to be available to user group 0 on week two.

The information that you presented is not at all what i am looking for. It is meant to drip content out by user registration date, and we are looking to drip by content creation date. I was hoping that there would be a plugin or a shortcode we could implement to give us this functionality.

Thanks for the help

-Thomas

Posted: Monday Oct 14th, 2013 at 12:31 pm #60349
N. Lee
Username: grant

Well, from first glance I think it is def doable. The more important question is what is your coding skill level? I ask because what you are trying to do can be done numerous ways.. as in with S2 and native WP.. with MU and native WP.. and so on.

IF you were looking to do it with S2, I’m thinking MU + S2 capabilities. For me this would make the easiest way because at any time you wanted to make any kind of ‘day’ changes, you could simply go to the MU you created and change one variable and done.. no need to deal with restrictions or capabilities!

I tend to try and stay away from using ANY plugin when you can do it in code yourself.. so that is my approach (plugin updates wont break your site / functionality).

Now if you are reliant on plugins/addons or this is for a client and you need the WP backend, then obviously you need plugin or you would have to customize backend for client = more work then say a simple MU / hack of 5 – 10 lines of code and done.

So.. are you able to do MU yourself? Or you must have a plugin + S2?

Posted: Monday Oct 14th, 2013 at 3:17 pm #60359

I have a couple of guys that are familiar with coding and are able to handle that sort of thing from here. We also would like to keep the usage of plugins down to a bare minimum, as they do have the tendency to cause more problems than they are worth.

we are also looking for a bit of automation, because we are going to be bulk uploading all of our posts for the week (mon-fri) on the sunday before, and we are attempting to automate as much of the process as we can manage. this is where i thought the shortcodes could help, by telling a post to be available to level 1 users monday, and then automatically become available to level 2 users the 7 days later. This helps keep me from having to manually go in and change the preferences of the posts each week.

Thanks for your expertise on this matter, i appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions and identifying my needs to better help understand how to help me (and others, hopefully!).

-Thomas

Posted: Monday Oct 14th, 2013 at 6:34 pm #60364
cassel
Username: cassel

I have used something like that (and plan another event with such dripping by time and not by registration time). Here is the kind of code I used (and the messages there were for testing):

<?php
if (date("Ymd") < 20121103) {
  echo 'it is still too early for the event. Come back on November 3rd';
}
?>

<?php
if (date('H') == 22 && date("Ymd") == 20121021) {
  echo 'it is now 10pm on the 21st';
}
?>

<?php
if (date('H') < 13 && date("Ymd") == 20121022) {
  echo 'it is now before noon on the 22nd';
}
?>

<?php
if (date('H') > 12 && date("Ymd") == 20121022) {
  echo 'it is now after noon on the 22nd';
}
?>

So you can code it to appear only at a certain date or time of day or a combination of both. And then, you could add another condition, which would be related to the level. Conditionals are so powerful whether you use shortcodes or php. Would that work for you?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by  cassel.
Posted: Tuesday Oct 15th, 2013 at 2:55 pm #60380

Thanks Cassel! This is exactly what we are looking for. I’m having my programmer review your post and he is confident that we can do what we need with the information that you have given us.

Thanks again!

-Thomas

Posted: Saturday Oct 26th, 2013 at 4:23 pm #60646
cassel
Username: cassel

This is exactly what I am doing right now for an event that is spread over a month and I want BW images to appear until a specific tutorial is “released”, then it will turn to color with a link. It is soooo versatile.

Did you get your system set up?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.