latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Free Memberships

Home Forums Community Forum Free Memberships

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices. Last updated by  Jason (Lead Developer) 4 years, 3 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Monday Sep 24th, 2012 at 7:35 pm #26367

I have searched the forums repeatedly, watched the video, and upgraded to Pro, and I still cannot get free memberships to work. Where do I put the shortcode (the video doesn’t specify, and the Quick-Start guide doesn’t either)? In the Membership Options Page? If yes, it’s not working on my site– the page displays the shortcode, not buttons, or fields, etc. (Other shortcodes are working in my theme, so I don’t think my theme is the problem.)

Next question: I also upgraded so that I could use the import feature in case the “free membership” option did not work. I figured I’d just import my members. But that process doesn’t send the new members usernames and passwords, nor does queue the opt-in email from Mailchimp. So that doesn’t help me either. Now what? How do I get these people into the site and on my mailing list?

My member’s skill sets are all over the place. Some are going to need hand-holding even with the easiest scenarios. I have to make it simple!

Help! I just need a free, secure membership site for my Boy Scout Troop. I thought S2M was the answer. Please tell me it is… I have worked so hard to get it this far; I simply can’t start over.

You know what would be very helpful? Samples to look at. I don’t even know what the Member Options Page is supposed to look like.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Monday Sep 24th, 2012 at 7:46 pm #26370
cassel
Username: cassel

For sample, come and have a look at my site.
http://scrapbookcampus.com

It is not all free members areas though but some are. The membership option page looks whatever you want it to look. It is a page where someone would be redirected if they try to access a page that is restricted and they should not see. Here is an example of mine:
http://scrapbookcampus.com/membership-options/
I need to revise it BTW but you can see, it is kind of a sale page for me. But for you, it could be a page with the different buttons to register on different levels, or it could even be a page that just say “Stop you are not allowed to view X page. Please contact us” You decide what you want to do when someone tries to reach a page they are not allowed to view.

If you want to import members, if the members are imported (with username and email), you can simply let them know that their old username is active and to click “Forget my password” so they can actually choose a password that THEY will remember. I find it is better than giving them a long complicated password they will grumble while using (and forgetting).

Setting things up might take a while, depending on the number of members, but once it is set, it should go smoothly.

Good luck.

Posted: Tuesday Sep 25th, 2012 at 7:08 am #26417

Hi Debbie.

it’s not working on my site– the page displays the shortcode, not buttons, or fields, etc. (Other shortcodes are working in my theme, so I don’t think my theme is the problem.)

Are you pasting the free registration pro-form’s shortcode in a WP page or one outside WP? Do other shortcodes work in that particular page where you’re trying the free reg pro-form?

Can I see the page where you used the shortcode that didn’t work? You can use the contact form if you want to keep it private.

But that process doesn’t send the new members usernames and passwords, nor does queue the opt-in email from Mailchimp.

Right, importing doesn’t send emails or add them to the email list. You need to email them separately informing them about the new account, and you need to import them to the email list using the email service’s procedure for that.

Or have them register their own accounts and it’ll work normally: they get the email and are added to the email list you integrated s2Member with.

Posted: Tuesday Sep 25th, 2012 at 8:45 am #26429

1. Yes, I am pasting the shortcode into a WP Page, and yes, other shortcodes work. (I pasted a PayPal shortcode in the page too, just to test it, and the button appears.)

2. If I follow your suggestion, how do I get a registration form to appear? And, more importantly, how do I set up an approval process so that we don’t have random strangers registering for an account? This is for about 200 people. That’s a lot of users to hand-enter so they get emails with usernames and passwords. I would love to have a self-registration process, but it needs to be secure.

3. I sent you site access info via private contact.

Posted: Wednesday Sep 26th, 2012 at 12:18 am #26510

Thanks, got the info.

I saw your page, and spotted a couple of things wrong:

You have two pro-form shortcodes in the same page, which will be a problem when they are actually displayed. But the second one is probably left from your tests, but I thought I’d mention it just in case.

The main problem is a content parsing one. You have the pro-form’s shortcode not being parsed, and the PayPal button’s is being parsed wrong, which will cause it to not work properly and why you have so much empty space added before it.

I suspect that the parsing problem is being introduced by the theme. Could you do a quick test and change the theme to the default TwentyEleven for a moment and refresh the Membership Options page to see if you notice a change?

If the theme test doesn’t solve it, could you test for a plugin conflict deactivating other plugins one by one and refreshing the Membership Options page after each to see if the problem’s gone?

Let me know how it goes. :)

Posted: Wednesday Sep 26th, 2012 at 8:37 pm #26632

Hi Cristián;

Thanks. I tried both of your suggestions. Deactivating all of the plugins (besides S2M, of course) resulted in no change whatsoever on the Options Page. Changing the Theme to Twenty Eleven did get rid of the empty space on the page before the PayPal button, and then the PayPal button worked correctly (it went to my PayPal page) but did not parse the Free Membership shortcode (it remained the same.) What does this mean? That I can’t use the theme?? I paid for it and spent a ton of time setting it up. Can you help me?

Thanks in advance,
Debbie

Posted: Thursday Sep 27th, 2012 at 7:43 am #26682

I see.

Well, the theme can be fixed, you don’t need to get rid of it. This test just helped spot that there’s a problem there. Ask the theme’s developer about the parsing problem so he helps you with it. Another thing you can try is the TrueEdit plugin, disabling the content filters except do_shortcode. http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/trueedit/

I don’t know why the pro-form’s shortcode is not being parsed yet. Could it be that you missed some files when you uploaded s2Member Pro to your server? Could you please try reuploading the s2member-pro folder making sure that all files are uploaded?

Posted: Thursday Oct 4th, 2012 at 12:34 am #27391
Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up on this thread.

Regarding this question…

Next question: I also upgraded so that I could use the import feature in case the “free membership” option did not work. I figured I’d just import my members. But that process doesn’t send the new members usernames and passwords, nor does queue the opt-in email from Mailchimp. So that doesn’t help me either. Now what? How do I get these people into the site and on my mailing list?

My member’s skill sets are all over the place. Some are going to need hand-holding even with the easiest scenarios. I have to make it simple!

That is correct. The User/Member import routine remains silent in every possible way on purpose, so as not to introduce any actions that might be tied to Hooks/Plugins for WordPress. However, s2Member Pro does make its Remote Operations API available, which provides a user creation API, which does allow new user notifications to be sent. However, this still does not fit exactly what you’ve requested with respect to the way you’d like to handle passwords. You can learn more about the Remote Operations API here: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting -› Remote Operations API

Possible Solution:

s2Member Pro does provide mailing list integration, but this requires user confirmation in most cases. What you’d need is a mass email tool to handle the transition from your old site/system I believe.

I suggest that you import all of your Users/Members with s2Member Pro, and then find another plugin (and/or write a custom code fragment), which accomplishes precisely what you’re trying to do with user passwords. You’ll want to look for plugins like MailPress, or another plugin which allows you to mass email your existing userbase from within WordPress (many of these are readily available for free).

I’ll accept this as a feature request. Thank you!

You may also find this thread to be helpful:
http://www.primothemes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16843#p61284

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.