latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

HELP – New subscription NOT replacing old one

Home Forums Community Forum HELP – New subscription NOT replacing old one

This topic contains 32 replies, has 5 voices. Last updated by  cassel 4 years, 2 months ago.

Page 2 Of Topic Replies

Viewing 7 replies - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Thursday Nov 1st, 2012 at 1:12 pm #30339
cassel
Username: cassel

Could that error be caused because of the 20% rule that PayPal has? s2Member recommends you check these links regarding that:
https://www.x.com/thread/41748
http://www.s2member.com/paypal-20p-rule
Hope this helps. :)

It looks exactly like that. Both the 72 hour period and the 20% limitation. Now, if this is a limitation of Paypal Express Checkout, this can be a BIG issue for customers. Can someone NOT use Express Checkout and just Paypal Standard even if Express checkout is enabled? I would only need the Express checkout if i am to use the Pro-form, which i am not using due to the shortcode/php issue, and the fact that a form does not seem necessary. However, Jason was suggesting using pro-form and maybe i could use it to control the modification better but then, i would be slammed with the Express checkout limitation again, so it wont work. I am kind of in a catch 22 situation, and the only way out would be to either do everything manually (ask the customer to cancel their recurring payment, and start a new one) or go with Paypal Pro, which will end up fairly expensive.

Any other solution you can think?

Posted: Thursday Nov 1st, 2012 at 8:39 pm #30366
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Even if the shortcode is wrapped within php code, how do i add a php code inside the shortcode?

Here’s how:

<?php
	$my_ccaps="example";
	echo do_shortcode('&#91;s2Member-PayPal-Pro-Form ccaps=" . $my_ccaps . ".... /&#93;'); 
?>

Reading the documentation on it, it does not allow for recurring payments, at least in the generation of the button/form.

That is correct. The Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Pro Forms -› Capability (Buy Now) Forms are designed to be sold on a “Buy Now” basis, i.e., one-time payment. If you want to add Custom Capabilities and increase an existing subscription, you need to use the Billing Modification form (Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Pro Forms -› Billing Modification Forms). On that Billing Modification form you can add/remove Custom Capabilities. If you want to add Custom Capabilities without increasing the Level, simply show the user a Billing Modification form that upgrades them to their same level. Their level will stay the same, but their Custom Capabilities will change.

Can someone NOT use Express Checkout and just Paypal Standard even if Express checkout is enabled?

As far as I know, PayPal doesn’t let you have both. Your account is either PayPal Standard or PayPal Express. If it’s PayPal Express (which is required to use s2Member Pro-Forms), you cannot temporarily “switch” to PayPal Standard on a per-transaction basis.

Posted: Thursday Nov 1st, 2012 at 9:34 pm #30386
cassel

That is correct. The Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Pro Forms -› Capability (Buy Now) Forms are designed to be sold on a “Buy Now” basis, i.e., one-time payment. If you want to add Custom Capabilities and increase an existing subscription, you need to use the Billing Modification form (Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Pro Forms -› Billing Modification Forms). On that Billing Modification form you can add/remove Custom Capabilities. If you want to add Custom Capabilities without increasing the Level, simply show the user a Billing Modification form that upgrades them to their same level. Their level will stay the same, but their Custom Capabilities will change.

This seems to be the problem though as Paypal will not allow more than 20% change in the price using the Billing Modification form (which is what i used). Is my only option then to use the pro-form? and if i use the pro-form, i still have paypal Express checkout, so will it solve anything?

Would you mind showing me where i would put the “element” i need to add to the shortcode to generate my custom ccap? that is assuming that the pro-form would solve my problem, which, at this point, i am not sure.

Posted: Friday Nov 2nd, 2012 at 5:24 pm #30493
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Carole,

The PHP code sample that I provided in my previous post shows you how to add your own custom ccap via PHP to a Pro-Form shortcode.

Regarding the the 20% rule: I believe you’re stuck either way as long as you have PayPal Standard or PayPal Express, however I recommend testing with a Subscriber Modification button (Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Buttons -› Subscr. Modification Buttons) to see if that allows you to change by more than 20%. If it doesn’t, then your only option will be to upgrade to PayPal Pro.

Posted: Friday Nov 2nd, 2012 at 5:29 pm #30494
cassel

Regarding the the 20% rule: I believe you’re stuck either way as long as you have PayPal Standard or PayPal Express, however I recommend testing with a Subscriber Modification button (Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Buttons -› Subscr. Modification Buttons) to see if that allows you to change by more than 20%. If it doesn’t, then your only option will be to upgrade to PayPal Pro.

That is actually what i used after you had mentioned it earlier in this thread and that screenshot came from the last customer who tried, which was with that particular button.
One problem i have with Paypal pro is the cost and the higher % per transaction and i have another online business that sells very low price items, very often, so it will kind of eat me on two fronts, including one place where i dont need the Pro version at all (i dont even need the Express Checkout for that one).

However, i’ll have to look at why SOME customers were able to do the upgrade, using the same Paypal button, the same prices, without being given the 20% limitation. That is just odd.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by  cassel.
Posted: Saturday Nov 3rd, 2012 at 7:16 am #30538

You can test with a modification pro-form to see if Express Checkout if you’re still limited to 20%. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Pro Forms -› Billing Modification Forms[/hilite]

I know pro-forms with PayPal Pro work aroudn the 20%, but I’m not sure about Express Checkout.

However, i’ll have to look at why SOME customers were able to do the upgrade, using the same Paypal button, the same prices, without being given the 20% limitation. That is just odd.

It’s possible they cancelled their previous subscription first and then started the higher one. That would work, it’s what the pro-forms do with PayPal Pro to avoid the 20% limit: end one and start a new one, instead of modifying the same one. The problem with buttons is that the user is the one that has to do the steps, instead of s2Member doing it automatically.

Posted: Saturday Nov 3rd, 2012 at 8:12 am #30541
cassel

If the user cancelled one payment and started another one, i would have been notified of the cancellation, which i was not. So that is odd.

I”ll try to use the pro-form as a php code to use my custom ccap clock timer code in it, and definitely report back as this can become an important limitation to warn the s2M users of.

Viewing 7 replies - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.