latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Login Welcome Page not appearing as it should

Home Forums Community Forum Login Welcome Page not appearing as it should

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years, 1 month ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Tuesday Nov 20th, 2012 at 4:56 pm #32150

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Wednesday Nov 21st, 2012 at 3:53 am #32218

Hi Brenda.

How are you pointing the user to one welcome page or the other based on the level? Could you explain your configuration for this?

Are you using the redirection URL field for the Login Welcome Page setting? [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› Login Welcome Page[/hilite] Could you show me a screenshot of that panel?

This video may help too: Video » s2Member (Login Welcome Page Conflicts?)

And if you customized the s2Member Level 4 role with other WP capabilities that have give access to admin features, that may affect the login redirection too.

Posted: Wednesday Nov 21st, 2012 at 9:22 am #32245

I can try to explain but may fall short. To start, I couldn’t figure out how to attach the image (or at least am too lazy to create a file, upload it to somewhere and provide a url.) The login welcome page is set as http://fairregistry.org/welcome-to-fair in the General Options.

The problem is with both Level 3 AND Level 4. Using User Role Editor, at level 3 I added ability to edit events (event espresso) and at level 4 I added quite a number of custom capabilities. So, it seems that this may be affecting the redirect?

I did watch the video, which may indeed be helpful! Sorry I didn’t find it in my initial attempt to search for solutions. Guess once I know “the language” better I can generate better results. :-/ Anyway, I had already determined by observation that Admins always start at the Dashboard. I can live with that :-) but really didn’t want all my level 3s and 4s to have to!

If we remove that little snippet of WP code as a fix, will we need to do it again every time we upgrade WP?
Thanks as always for your quick responses.

Posted: Wednesday Nov 21st, 2012 at 1:55 pm #32265

Hey, I tried looking at the code surrounding the log-in box (embedded in a widget at fairregistry.org) and cannot find any sign of a redirect back to the original public home page. I also tested all four levels, plus level 0, and NONE of them are going to the correct member login page.

Posted: Thursday Nov 22nd, 2012 at 6:53 am #32333

Thanks for the info.

I also tested all four levels, plus level 0, and NONE of them are going to the correct member login page.

Okay, it’d be good to test for what’s overriding the redirection. Please test for the theme or another plugin doing it, please follow the instructions given in this article for those: Knowledge Base » Common Troubleshooting Tips

About levels 3 and 4, it is possible that having given those roles admin capabilities, is causing the different login redirection. After fixing the redirection for the lower levels, if you still have trouble with these higher ones, test removing the extra capabilities you added and see if the Login Welcome now works, please.

Also, since you edited the s2Member roles, you may want to read this: Knowledge Base » Locking s2Member Roles/Capabilities

Posted: Monday Nov 26th, 2012 at 1:57 pm #32615

AAAAAAAHHHH!
Now I have totally hosed my website!!!

I apparently put in an invalid member login url in s2Member’s Login setup, and I can no longer even view my website correctly while NOT logged in. I can’t access the Dashboard any more to correct the problem. Any URL I type for the site’s pages gives me a garbaged result.

For example, even when I directly enter the address below into the navigation bar…
http://fairregistry.org/wp-admin/admin.php?page=ws-plugin–s2member-gen-ops

.,..this is what appears. Substitute any page at all, and you get something like it.
http://fairregistry.org/welcome/wp-login.php?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Ffairregistry.org%2Fwp-admin%2Fadmin.php%3Fpage%3Dws-plugin–s2member-gen-ops&reauth=1

Posted: Monday Nov 26th, 2012 at 4:34 pm #32639
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Brenda,

It’s hard for us to diagnose any of these issues if you manually changed the s2Member Role Capabilities. s2Member is designed to work with role capabilities that match those of the WordPress Subscriber role. If you dig into the role capabilities for the s2Member levels and manually make changes, there’s no telling how the behavior may change.

Also, it seems that you’ve made extensive modifications to your WordPress login page. Those changes could also be affecting the issues you’re experiencing.

Keep in mind that if a WordPress plugin (including s2Member) causes you to lose access to the WordPress Dashboard, you can manually disable that plugin by simply moving it out of the wp-content/plugins/ directory (I usually just temporarily move it to wp-content). Once the plugin has been moved out of the plugins directory, WordPress won’t load it.

Posted: Tuesday Nov 27th, 2012 at 2:30 pm #32727

Sorry for the “scream” in the last post. The login should be the standard WP, as modified by s2Member. Whatever I did (and I think the whole site database was getting corrupted anyway) completely garbled that, but if you look now it’s back to normal. I’ve also deactivated the role modification add-in.

In the current configuration, the role-specific home page is working for all but admins. So we can safely say that our theme wasn’t causing the problem, and the User Role Editor probably was.

Thanks for the tip for testing plugins. So in the future if I suspect a rotten plugin, I can simply move its folder out of the plugins directory to another one. awesome – thanks for your patience!

Posted: Wednesday Nov 28th, 2012 at 6:25 am #32756

Glad you solved it, Brenda! Thanks for the update.

Let us know if you have questions again. :)

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.