latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Membership Levels – want all 2 be independent

Home Forums Community Forum Membership Levels – want all 2 be independent

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years, 4 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Friday Aug 24th, 2012 at 12:54 pm #22992
Rick Horvath
Username: noodles

I’m testing your free version.

Regarding Membership Levels, I’d like to have all 4 be independent of each other.

Each one would be a paid level at the same price, but the same level with access to different portions of the site.
In other words, 4 different individual member areas on one site which would have to be paid for individually.

Is this possibly???

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Aug 24th, 2012 at 2:10 pm #22993
cassel
Username: cassel

The levels integrated in s2M are not independant however you can use the custom capabilities and create an endless number of levels. Instead of relying on the levels as is, you can use ONE level (level 1) and then assign custom capabilities like “MyLevel1”, “MyLevel2”, “MyLevel3”, and so on.

Check the video tutorial on Custom Capabilities (i dont have the link now, but i am sure someone will add it).
Custom capabilities (ccaps) are extremely powerful. I use them for my Campus where i have various courses and workshop and they are all independant.

Posted: Friday Aug 24th, 2012 at 3:02 pm #22995
Eduan
Username: Eduan

Hello Rick, Cassel,

Here’s the link to the ccaps video:
http://www.s2member.com/videos/A2C07377CF60025E/

Also, you might also be interested in specific post/page access:
Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options -› Specific Post/Page Access Restrictions
Video » s2Member (Specific Posts/Pages)

Hope this helps. :)

Posted: Monday Aug 27th, 2012 at 9:44 am #23169
Rick Horvath

thank you for the information!

Posted: Monday Aug 27th, 2012 at 12:38 pm #23181
Eduan

No problem. :)

Posted: Wednesday Aug 29th, 2012 at 5:06 pm #23466
Rick Horvath

I’m testing in sandbox. everything is working except I am not receiving any confirmation email that I am now a member.

I’m guessing it is because I am in test mode? Even in test mode I should be able to verify that I have become a member. Anyone else having this issue?

Posted: Wednesday Aug 29th, 2012 at 6:34 pm #23477
Eduan

Hello Rick,

Is your sandbox in a localhost? Or online? If it’s in localhost then you can’t expect it to work, localhost isn’t actually able to send emails.

Hope this helps. :)

Posted: Thursday Aug 30th, 2012 at 5:42 am #23540

while ccaps are great and all – they are in the serialized array?

anyway i have other plugins that I want to write registered users’ independant access level and they see the s2member levels not ccaps….

i think that s2member levels independant would be great.

Posted: Thursday Aug 30th, 2012 at 6:34 am #23544

Rick Horvath said:
I’m testing in sandbox. everything is working except I am not receiving any confirmation email that I am now a member.

When in Sandbox, no emails are sent. It’s much better to test with 1 cent live transactions.

Jason eH said:
i think that s2member levels independant would be great.

You can do that customizing the s2Member level roles with something like the User Role Editor. You’d need to remove the access capabilities to all the levels that aren’t the same as the role’s. http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/user-role-editor/

You’ll also want to lock your roles, so they aren’t reset after each update. Knowledge Base » Locking s2Member Roles/Capabilities

I hope that helps. :)

Posted: Thursday Aug 30th, 2012 at 8:45 am #23574
Rick Horvath

I first followed the instructions on the video link given above http://www.s2member.com/videos/A2C07377CF60025E/

Everything is set up correctly. I used tags as the determining factor for allowing access to each area, independent of one another.

I have 4 areas all within level 1 and 4 different payment buttons with different plans.

I thought it would be easier to first create new wordpress users with only level1 access, but there is no way to associate tags to each user in order to limit their access to that one area. So each member wound up having access to every area – not a good outcome.

I then tried sandbox in hopes that s2member would at least create the new user once the return URL was hit. No such luck. I would imagine that using .01 transactions will have the same outcome.

I understand that sandbox would not generate a paypal email confirming purchase, but s2member should indeed generate an email with login information. This also did not occur.

So something does not work correctly in s2member.

ps – the email in sandbox forwards to one of my real emails and has been tested.

Posted: Thursday Aug 30th, 2012 at 10:01 am #23584
Rick Horvath

I did find the area to add ccap to each member, but now the site itself does not display, only to me when I’m logged in as admin – but not on any other browsers!

Posted: Friday Aug 31st, 2012 at 5:31 am #23659

I then tried sandbox in hopes that s2member would at least create the new user once the return URL was hit. No such luck. I would imagine that using .01 transactions will have the same outcome.

s2Member doesn’t create the new user account when the person is returned to WordPress after checkout, he still has to register his account.

I understand that sandbox would not generate a paypal email confirming purchase, but s2member should indeed generate an email with login information. This also did not occur.

From [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Options -› Account Details[/hilite]

*Sandbox Tip* If you’re testing your site through a PayPal® Sandbox account, please remember that Email Confirmations from s2Member will NOT be received after a test purchase. s2Member sends its Confirmation Emails to the PayPal® Email Address of the Customer. Since PayPal® Sandbox addresses are usually bogus ( for testing ), you will have to run live transactions before Email Confirmations from s2Member are received. That being said, all other s2Member functionality CAN be tested through a PayPal® Sandbox account. Email Confirmations are the only hang-up.

The live 1 cent transactions will save you the extra trouble the Sandbox can cause you unnecessarily.

I did find the area to add ccap to each member, but now the site itself does not display, only to me when I’m logged in as admin – but not on any other browsers!

Could you please show me a screenshot of the area you found to add the ccap to each member?

And what do you mean by the site not displaying? Does it redirect you to the Membership Options page? [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› Membership Options Page[/hilite]

Posted: Thursday Sep 6th, 2012 at 1:30 pm #24353
Rick Horvath

When I added the function described on the video, it needed to be tweaked a bit to work with Categories – which is how I am distinguishing each member area. The php script caused the entire site to not display unless I was logged in as admin, so I removed the script.

As of now I am still testing in Sandbox. I have enabled return logging, which is working, yet the new wordpress member is not being added as a ‘User’. This may be because s2member still does not send me a confirmation email once I’ve been returned from sandbox.

Posted: Saturday Sep 8th, 2012 at 8:12 pm #24673
Rick Horvath

Ok, I understand that someone would still have to create their own account – but is this done before or after paying for the membership? I would assume afterwards and s2member should send them an email with log in credentials so once they are logged in, s3member knows their accessibility.

But why can I not get the member areas to restrict access even after trying the php function shown in the video?

If I can’t get the site to work properly, it won’t matter much.

Posted: Monday Sep 10th, 2012 at 7:00 am #24723

Ok, I understand that someone would still have to create their own account – but is this done before or after paying for the membership? I would assume afterwards and s2member should send them an email with log in credentials so once they are logged in, s3member knows their accessibility.

If the user is not logged in, when using the PayPal button, the user pays first and then has to register a new account to get the access paid for. The confirmation email will send a personalized registration link. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Options -› Signup Confirmation Email[/hilite]

If you’re using pro-forms, the not logged in user will be creating his account and paying at the same time if using Auth.Net or PayPal Pro, or paying later if choosing PayPal Express Checkout.

If the user is logged in when clicking the button or loading the pro-form, then the current account will be updated with the access being paid for.

I hope that helps understand it better. :)

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.